The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Instances of kidney stones in an eight week old pup

Default Instances of kidney stones in an eight week old pup

Recently my new pup was having trouble uninating and seemed to be in a lot of pain. I took him to the vet and she put a catheter in him to relieve the pressure. She said he passed what looked like a stone. I won't go into to much of the details, but I'm concerned that something like this in such a young age will be a problem later on in his life. Any one else had any experience with a problem like this or could any vets on this site shed some lite on this for me. Thank you. He's home now and seems to be OK on antiboitics and a new diet.

could it be dehydration .... if you are feeding kibble ...add water... did the vet analyze the stone for what type it was? Yes it can be a life long condition some dogs have to make stones, but diet can keep it under control.

Did you pose this question to your Vet ?
    I like one-shot kills where possible and prefer to do all my hunting before I shoot. ..... Elmer Keith

Yes the vet is analyzing the stone. I was mostly listening to the new feeding requirements, so didn't ask much more than what I had to do for his medicine and feeding. I did look up kidney and bladder stones on the internet, but couldn't find much on puppies. Just adult dogs, which I would assume would be the same treatment.
    Last edited by fishin444; 09-01-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    Yes the vet is analyzing the stone. I was mostly listening to the new feeding requirements, so didn't ask much more than what I had to do for his medicine and feeding. I did look up kidney and bladder stones on the internet, but couldn't find much on puppies. Just adult dogs, which I would assume would be the same treatment.
    Will all depend on the type of stone how you treat it. I would ask the breeder if the parents were tested for Cystinuria.

Could be from a bad UTI, dehydration any number of things. If its a cystine stone diet won't help but neutering will.