The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they run away?

Default Why do they run away?

An interesting few minutes this a.m. over on the facebook. One of my facebook friends. My soon to be uncle as he is about to marry an Aunt of mine. Nice guy, lives just outside of D.C in a town named Falls Church. Active in poly tics. A democrat. He and I were commenting to each other on the public news feed about the Presidents health care plan. I used factual statements from personal experience, and I feel (and he as well) was besting him. He deleted the entire thread. We were not yelling or quoting party rhetoric. Just having a very polite, factual conversation over morning coffee. And he ran away. Now this is not my first such experience. Just the most recent.
    So my question, to EVERYONE in our potus group.
    Why is it that SOME folk who are very good at yelling and chanting and quoting sound bites, from ether side. When offered a chance to just sit down and talk honestly about things they actually know about a topic. Run away? How can anyone, from ether side accomplish anything, if they run away? Policy is made with pencil and desk, not bonfire and chant.?????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

“When you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. When you have the law on your side, argue the law. When you have neither, holler.”

Al Gore

In politics, as in everything, there are those who really don't know how to have a discussion without devolving into calling "stupid head!!" when confronted with facts that might force them into changing their position or admitting that their position cannot be logically defended. That is one reason I like written discussions as opposed to extemporaneous dialogue. When discussing a topic as it is done on this (and other) forums, one has time to consider, and even do a little research and fact checking before answering. I am also old enough to be content in the knowledge that not all my positions are logical and that is just the way it is.

It can be aggravating when folks won't gird their loins and step up just when it's getting good though. My position has always been first one to call stupid head loses.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

In my experience with Facebook, I have actually "unfriended" old acquaintances who insist on making it a forum for spouting their political beliefs. Some of the stuff you see on there is really nasty. You see, as Facebook friends I have Dad, my wife, my daughter, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc as friends. I don't feel it is fair to expose them all to the BS. So I only comment on something political on there if something REALLY gets under my skin. I do not as a personal policy discuss politics with family. Well, I do discuss with my Dad and my wife, but we agree on everything...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Right brain vs. left brain thing.

Feelings, ideology vs. facts & common sense
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Right brain / left brain thing.

So, I'm curious. Are engineers right or left brained? How about conservatives?
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    It doesn't matter, that is where the conflict is.

Most engineers are probably right brain, but clearly there are exceptions, right?

How about liberals/progressives??
    Though I'm guessing there are none, because none of them will admit to it.
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    oohh-- ooohh- Can I answer that one!!??

Here is goes....................... Train Engineers are on the right track!!!!..........

Buzz - Have a good day!.....
    ps-- i wont quit my day job....
    Attributed to Ben Franklin-
    "Don't Argue with Stupid People..... They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience!"

"When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid."

"Arguing with Idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to sh$t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

When it comes down to values of religion or politics the arguments get heated and no one either cares to listen or to change philosophy.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Ken, what facts would you use to win that argument? Do you use the numbers from Fox that clearly tells us the plan is going to cost us about a trillion dollars over the long haul, or the numbers from MSNBC that clearly state that the plan is going to save us around a trillion dollars?
    On a serious note I could see how someone could get into a political discussion on their facebook page and then decide that their political rants reflected badly on them whether or not they were winning or losing an argument, I don't know if I would call that running.