The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Cancelled Kansas City Hunt Test

Sounds fairly typical. I don't have any problem with hearing complaints. The only problem with complainers is that they just complain loudly and never offer any solution or suggestions. To make matters worse, they expect you to jump when they complain loudly and walk away.

Often, they could have fixed their own complaint by thinking about the problem and stepping in themselves to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne Wilbanks View Post
    and I don't believe there is any club in that 200 mile distance that was wanting to put on a Hunt Test that very same weekend on a holiday weekend to boot.
    You are assuming the other clubs around the 200 mile range didn't want to run a third test this year. The 2013 Master Nationals is in Kansas so I bet a club out there was at least thinking about it. That is a very nice week-end to have a test on.
    -- Brad Schavee --
    Nikki Schavee "Nikki" 11/21/1997 - 11/15/2010 RIP
    TLC's Crazy Daizy MH "Daizy"
    Bam Bam's Diamond In The Ruff "Coal"

Perhaps the OP did post somewhat of a rant without knowing all of the facts, which is of course regrettable.

However, who was in possession of the facts causing the cancellation of the test? Based on the information in this post, it sounds like the entrants were only told that the test was cancelled and were given no reason as to why. Even though as another poster pointed out, if the OP had known the reasons he/she would have understood. Why not provide the reason and at least remove that as a reason for griping and complaining?

As per usual, it appears that a lack of clear communication is at the bottom of this entire situation.

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Why not provide the reason and at least remove that as a reason for griping and complaining?
    My thoughts exactly. It sucks to have to cancel a test for all involved and I could not have cared less about this particular one. However, when the members all started coming on to post that there were very good reasons for cancelling but they are super secret and we are not going to tell you but they were really good ones, it does make me wonder. Why not just spit out and let everyone decide if it is worth it to plan a trip to KC area around this club's tests in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Txcutter2 View Post
    We were coming up to visit family and were planning on going to the KCHT. It was cancelled a month before the test date. This is the second time this has happened and it's starting to get old. First, if you're going to plan a test and post it, people make plans and it screws their schedule up after taking vacation to do it. Second, it prevents ANY OTHER club within 300 miles from hosting an event. Third, if you can't handle the responsibility of hosting a test, then either elect people within the club who CAN put together an event or don't host events. This is twice this has happened, why bother scheduling any more trips up there if it's just going to get cancelled again?
    Well Mr R****** H***, you could have offered to help instead of pissing and moaning. Course since your the type to falsify your name on entries I wouldn't expect you to be the type to step up and help. Nunzio seems appropriate.

/paul
    Last edited by Gun_Dog2002; 08-20-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

entrys down bird costs up gas prices up club members getting older and burned out lots of reasons, could be any why do they owe you a reason

Also it does not look like they were never "finalized" on EE, they canceled BEFORE other available HTs closed (of which none are really that close), plus it's their weekend I don't blame them for holding on to that weekend...having been very close to canceling my club's FT and knowing first hand how hard it is to organize an event, I don't think the club owes anyone a reason. if you want to know, join the club and become an active member! And for those who don't think "getting burnt out" isn't a valid reason hasn't put on many events!

Edit: There is another HT club that canceled on the same weekend - don't hear people publicly beating the club members about the brow...stuff happens!
    Last edited by FOM; 08-20-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Also it does not look like they were never "finalized" on EE, they canceled BEFORE other available HTs closed (of which none are really that close), plus it's their weekend I don't blame them for holding on to that weekend...having been very close to canceling my club's FT and knowing first hand how hard it is to organize an event, I don't think the club owes anyone a reason. if you want to know, join the club and become an active member! And for those who don't think "getting burnt out" isn't a valid reason hasn't put on many events!

Edit: There is another HT club that canceled on the same weekend - don't hear people publicly beating the club members about the brow...stuff happens!
    Yep, that would be us, the Northeast WA Gun Dog Club. I know of 1 pro that was planning on bringing 13 dogs and others that were wanting to attend from 2 states away. Thankfully, when word went out that we had to cancel (before the event was finalized on EE), people actually picked up the phone and called me or sent an e-mail if they wanted to know why. Good to know there are plenty of people out there that still know how to handle situations like adults.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

Workers, land, judges,birds,water,equipment, there are solutions to all of them. Helps if your club has "the guy" or gal that just comes up with solutions. If we couldn't think of a solution we would ask on here, great wealth of experienced and imaginative, helpful people on here.

A great example of this is the first test I ever ran, the state confiscated all the birds Saturday morning. The club did not cancell the test, they called people and everyo0ne brought frozen birds from their freezer. For live flyers they found enough Chuckar for Master and the only other birds they could get were pigeons. So they called AKC and said they were going to use pigeons and AKC said no so the club explained they were going to use dolkens or bumpers and then AKC said use pigeons and get it done.
    We like things to go perfect but sometimes things go wrong and we work though it. And sometimes those are the best and fondest memories.
    Love the imagination of the judges in creating water at some events in the desserts of the southwest. AKC doesn't have requirements on the minimum depth or size for water and sometimes a 20 ft by 10 ft puddle is all you have to use. Ground cracked around your normal water, a few sheets of plastic and a few hours work and a small pump and I can create enough water for a test away from the normal pond. Not enough workers I start calling people.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Greenwood View Post
    Workers, land, judges,birds,water,equipment, there are solutions to all of them. Helps if your club has "the guy" or gal that just comes up with solutions. If we couldn't think of a solution we would ask on here, great wealth of experienced and imaginative, helpful people on here.

A great example of this is the first test I ever ran, the state confiscated all the birds Saturday morning. The club did not cancell the test, they called people and everyo0ne brought frozen birds from their freezer. For live flyers they found enough Chuckar for Master and the only other birds they could get were pigeons. So they called AKC and said they were going to use pigeons and AKC said no so the club explained they were going to use dolkens or bumpers and then AKC said use pigeons and get it done.
    We like things to go perfect but sometimes things go wrong and we work though it. And sometimes those are the best and fondest memories.
    Love the imagination of the judges in creating water at some events in the desserts of the southwest. AKC doesn't have requirements on the minimum depth or size for water and sometimes a 20 ft by 10 ft puddle is all you have to use. Ground cracked around your normal water, a few sheets of plastic and a few hours work and a small pump and I can create enough water for a test away from the normal pond. Not enough workers I start calling people.
    So does this mean that you are on the list to help them out next year?

What is the fix for burnout?

Assumtion is the mother of all screwup regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci