The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax dodger wants in the whitehouse

I would like to hear what factual info you have that supports that statement . What is OK educators compensation level?[/QUOTE]

In oklahoma: Vested teachers get around $36k, starting salary $29k. Teacher's aides are paid $800/mo. There are teachers who deserve more, there are teachers who need to be run completely out of the field. When our beloved sports heroes make millions, surely we could find a way to pay a teacher a decent salary. We can put a spacecraft on mars, for crying out loud, surely we can figure out a proper income for a teacher.

what do i view as proper? around $60k. That way you could actually attract the right people into the field.

We trust these people to educate our children. Why can't we trust ourselves to make sure they are the right people?
    Last edited by ARay11; 08-23-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

ARAY we agree again....

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    I would like to hear what factual info you have that supports that statement . What is OK educators compensation level?

In oklahoma: Vested teachers get around $36k, starting salary $29k. Teacher's aides are paid $800/mo. There are teachers who deserve more, there are teachers who need to be run completely out of the field. When our beloved sports heroes make millions, surely we could find a way to pay a teacher a decent salary. We can put a spacecraft on mars, for crying out loud, surely we can figure out a proper income for a teacher.

what do i view as proper? around $60k. That way you could actually attract the right people into the field.

We trust these people to educate our children. Why can't we trust ourselves to make sure they are the right people?
    [/QUOTE]

What grade would rate 60k? Is that for all teachers? I think certain deserve more some deserve less.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Now why is it that you do not want people to get the best wage they can? Would you like it if I called up your employer and told him you were overpaid and told him to pay you less. Are you jealous of a man that earns $35,000. I would hope that someone was rewarding him for his good service and dependability.

Why do they bash the unions, because they support the other side. Think please
    I'm assuming from context that you are talking about the Postal Workers' Union. The problem I have with unionized Government employees is that "management" has little or no incentive to negotiate on behalf of the stockholders (taxpayers).
    Last edited by HPL; 08-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

In Penn., the average yearly teachers salary at $55,150,(funded primarily by RE Tax) is 65% higher than the average salary at large.

This is not an true comparison since the teacher makes their $55,150 for nine months work or roughly 75% of a normal work year. If they did work a normal work year and were compensated at the same rate, they would pull down about $73,300.
    It gets worse; keep in mind, the salary figures quoted to not include their outlandish benefits pkg of on average 32%............

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

I lived in NJ and I know that $55M does not go as far as it does in Texas....I'm sure if you ran it through a cost of living calculator it would be at $25M or less in Houston. Same for someone working at car plant in MI...when you speak of the hourly wage it is a lot in Houson but not near as much in MI. Complaining about someones wage in a part of the country that is much different than yours is just sound bits for the spin doctors. I was making $30M at a bank in houston before I went to work in NY. I thought I was rich with my $25M signon bonus and $100M salary. I was better off with my $30M in Houston. So for example when people complain about Wall Street bonuses just divide what they get by 2.5x and you are at Texas wages. Yes there were folks that got big bonuses that should not have but for most of the folks their, they need those bonuses so they can live in their trashy 1 bedroom apartment that the rent is $4M a month.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    In Penn., the average yearly teachers salary at $55,150,(funded primarily by RE Tax) is 65% higher than the average salary at large.

This is not an true comparison since the teacher makes their $55,150 for nine months work or roughly 75% of a normal work year. If they did work a normal work year and were compensated at the same rate, they would pull down about $73,300.
    It gets worse; keep in mind, the salary figures quoted to not include their outlandish benefits pkg of on average 32%............

john
    If an Okla teacher was offered that kind of money .... they'd probably pass out.
    We live only about an hour or so from the TX border.... many of our better graduating college kids go to TX to teach school. Starting salary there is higher than our vested teacher's make.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

The feds tried that in the early 60's & continued it - where has that gotten us ?

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post

It gets worse; keep in mind, the salary figures quoted to not include their outlandish benefits pkg of on average 32%............ john
    In WA 1980 contactual hour were 69% of what a full time employee worked with time offs included. It has only gotten to be less since.

If an Okla teacher was offered that kind of money .... they'd probably pass out.
    We live only about an hour or so from the TX border.... many of our better graduating college kids go to TX to teach school. Starting salary there is higher than our vested teacher's make.
    You normally post like a fairly lucid individual - so I'll pass this on - THE GRASS ALWAYS LOOKS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE .

But here are some facts - the talent pool for educators comes from the lower 25% of those who take the SAT & graduate from college. & the product they produce is evidence of that!!!!!!

When I went to SDSM&T in the mid-50's the professors took great pride in their ability to winnow out those unqualified to hold an engineering degree. Total class averages of matriculation to graduation varied between 25-33%. When they could not cut it there they went to a business school aka Samboville U - when they failed at SU it was off to the normal school. For every good teacher I have had in 16+ years of being a student there were 20 that varied from mediocre to not as mediocre.

Teachers are like politicians - the one that's local is OK which is pure BS. Along with cops & firefighters they rank as the 3 most overpaid professions in this country .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    I lived in NJ and I know that $55M does not go as far as it does in Texas....I'm sure if you ran it through a cost of living calculator it would be at $25M or less in Houston. Same for someone working at car plant in MI...when you speak of the hourly wage it is a lot in Houson but not near as much in MI. Complaining about someones wage in a part of the country that is much different than yours is just sound bits for the spin doctors. I was making $30M at a bank in houston before I went to work in NY. I thought I was rich with my $25M signon bonus and $100M salary. I was better off with my $30M in Houston. So for example when people complain about Wall Street bonuses just divide what they get by 2.5x and you are at Texas wages. Yes there were folks that got big bonuses that should not have but for most of the folks their, they need those bonuses so they can live in their trashy 1 bedroom apartment that the rent is $4M a month.
    I have to say that you are living in a VERY rarified atmosphere if you couldn't live anywhere on $55M and now we really wonder why you are carping all the time about the top 1% if you actually make $30M. I have to say that I have never heard of ANY one bedroom apt renting for $4M/month!!!
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I had high SAT and GMAT scores, but I would make a horrible teacher. In fact, someone that worked harder for their grades is probably better at helping a kid that is struggling.

I spent years working with the over ambitious that went to the right schools and got the right jobs, but along the way I worked with folks that were just as smart but had different priorities, like family. Clearly these individuals could have done more but chose not to.

I think as a rule people who become teachers need less to make them happy. In fact I envy some of the teachers I know because the have more time for their families, fishing and hunting.