The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax dodger wants in the whitehouse

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    I had high SAT and GMAT scores, but I would make a horrible teacher. In fact, someone that worked harder for their grades is probably better at helping a kid that is struggling.

I spent years working with the over ambitious that went to the right schools and got the right jobs, but along the way I worked with folks that were just as smart but had different priorities, like family. Clearly these individuals could have done more but chose not to.I think as a rule people who become teachers need less to make them happy. In fact I envy some of the teachers I know because the have more time for their families, fishing and hunting.
    BINGO!!!!!!

I think you are starting to get it sambo!!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1001994]

The feds tried that in the early 60's & continued it - where has that gotten us ?

So if they tried it, why are our teachers making so little? Sorry, $30k is not much money. I understand others in different areas of the country make more.... but here, there is zero incentive to become a teacher.

In WA 1980 contactual hour were 69% of what a full time employee worked with time offs included. It has only gotten to be less since.

You normally post like a fairly lucid individual - so I'll pass this on - THE GRASS ALWAYS LOOKS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FENCE . And of course we still have to mow it.... LOL

But here are some facts - the talent pool for educators comes from the lower 25% of those who take the SAT & graduate from college. & the product they produce is evidence of that!!!!!!
    Wonder why?? If you are in the top 10% of your class, and you can become an engineer and earn 6-fig+ income .... or your option is to become a teacher and starve to death the rest of your life... which one will you choose? Which one have you been groomed to choose?

When I went to SDSM&T in the mid-50's the professors took great pride in their ability to winnow out those unqualified to hold an engineering degree. Total class averages of matriculation to graduation varied between 25-33%. When they could not cut it there they went to a business school aka Samboville U - when they failed at SU it was off to the normal school. For every good teacher I have had in 16+ years of being a student there were 20 that varied from mediocre to not as mediocre.
    Those professors doing the winnowing were trained to do so. Why? Because they are trying to produce the best of the best. Wonder what would happen if those teaching our "future educators" did so with the same determination?

Teachers are like politicians - the one that's local is OK which is pure BS. Along with cops & firefighters they rank as the 3 most overpaid professions in this country

When you pay peanuts......

PS.....Sambo, dangit u gotta quit Biden'ing the boards.... K is thousand, M is Million.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    So if they tried it, why are our teachers making so little? Sorry, $30k is not much money. I understand others in different areas of the country make more.... but here, there is zero incentive to become a teacher.

If you don't believe $25 an hour worked is sufficient for a beginner with the qualifications most teachers arrive with then they want you on the school board .

Quote Originally Posted by ARay
    Wonder why?? If you are in the top 10% of your class, and you can become an engineer and earn 6-fig+ income .... or your option is to become a teacher and starve to death the rest of your life... which one will you choose? Which one have you been groomed to choose?
    6 figure incomes for engineers is a myth, those who arrive there are mostly worth it - what you are trying to defend is people not so smart trying to get paid like people who are .

Quote Originally Posted by ARay
    Wonder what would happen if those teaching our "future educators" did so with the same determination?
    It's been their show for years,they managed to screw it up royally, now the students suffer!!!!!!!! but they are still richly compensated.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

One of Thomas Sowell's "favorite quotations" (from his website)
    There are many who find a good alibi far more attractive than an achievement. For an achievement does not settle anything permanently. We still have to prove our worth anew each day: we have to prove that we are as good today as we were yesterday. But when we have a valid alibi for not achieving anything we are fixed, so to speak, for life.
    --Eric Hoffer 21
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell082212.php3

A Powerful Movie By Thomas Sowell
    Years, and sometimes decades, pass between my visits to movie theaters. But I drove 30 miles to see the movie "2016," based on Dinesh D'Souza's best-selling book, "The Roots of Obama's Rage." Where I live is so politically correct that such a movie would not even be mentioned, much less shown.

Every seat in the theater was filled, even though there had been an earlier showing that day, and more showings were scheduled for the rest of the afternoon and evening. I had to sit on a staircase in the balcony, but it was worth it.

The audience was riveted. You could barely hear a sound from them, or detect a movement, and certainly not smell popcorn. Yet the movie had no bombast, no violence, no sex and no spectacular visual effects.

The documentary itself was fascinating, as Dinesh D'Souza presented the story of Barack Obama's life and view of the world, in a very conversational sort of way, illustrating it with visits to people and places around the world that played a role in the way Obama's ideas and beliefs evolved.

It was refreshing to see how addressing adults as adults could be effective, in an age when so many parts of the media address the public as if they were children who need a constant whirlwind of sounds and movements to keep them interested.

Dinesh D'Souza's own perspective, as someone born in India who came to America and became an American, provided a special insight into the way people from the Third World often perceive or misperceive the United States and the Western world.

That Third World perspective is Obama's perspective, D'Souza demonstrates in this documentary, as in his book — and it is a perspective that is very foreign to that of most Americans, which may be why some believe that Obama was born elsewhere.

D'Souza is convinced that the president was born in Hawaii, as he claims, but argues that not only Obama's time living in Indonesia and his emotionally charged visits to his father's home in Africa, have had a deep and impassioned effect on his thinking.

The story of Barack Obama, however, is not just the story of how one man came to be the way he is. It is a much larger story about how millions of Americans came to vote for, and some to idolize, a man whose fundamental beliefs and values are so different from their own.

For every person who sees Obama as somehow foreign there are many others who see him as a mainstream American political figure — and an inspiring one.

This D'Souza attributes to Barack Obama's great talents in rhetoric, and his ability to project an image that resonates with most Americans, however much that image may differ from, or even flatly contradict, the reality of Obama's own ideological view of the world.

What is that ideological view?

The Third World, or anti-colonial, view is that the rich nations have gotten rich by taking wealth from the poor nations. It is part of a much larger vision, in which the rich in general have gotten rich by taking from the poor, whether in their own country or elsewhere.

Whatever its factual weaknesses, it is an emotionally powerful vision, to which many people have dedicated their lives, and for which some have even risked their lives. Some of these people appear in this documentary movie, as they have appeared throughout the formative phases of Barack Obama's life.

The Reverend Jeremiah Wright is just the most visible and vocal of a long line of such people who played crucial roles in Obama's evolution. When Jeremiah Wright thundered about how "white folks' greed runs a world in need," he captured the essence of the Third World or anti-colonial vision.

But many of the other mentors, allies, family and friends of Barack Obama over the years were of the same mindset, as this documentary demonstrates.

More important, the movie "2016" demonstrates how so many of Obama's actions as President of the United States, which D'Souza had predicted on the basis of his study of Obama's background, are perfectly consistent with that ideology, however inconsistent it is with the rhetoric that gained him the highest office in the land.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Ray there's no use arguing with someone like that, it wouldn't matter if starting pay was $15k, it would be to much. There are those that hate veterans, cops, firefighters, teachers regardless of the truth, he is one of them, the same type that would spit on our serviceman returning from Vietnam.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Ray there's no use arguing with someone like that, it wouldn't matter if starting pay was $15k, it would be to much. There are those that hate veterans, cops, firefighters, teachers regardless of the truth, he is one of them, the same type that would spit on our serviceman returning from Vietnam.
    Actually, when I returned thru Long Beach (Berkely), the people that spit at us, threw human excrement at us and screamed at us were not right-wing extremist at all.

They were longhaired, left leaning, pot smoking hippy types.
    The people that grew up to be todays Democrats (secular progressives)!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Man, now that's really revisionist history. Were you even alive during the Vietnam era? I was in highschool and am about 2 years too young to have been drafted, but I certainly know exactly what the politics of the folks who were spitting on the troops and burning flags was. Liberal Democrats. Traitors like Jane Fonda and terrorists like Bill Ayers.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

Really????? You make that comment about someone who served in Vietnam?????
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Wow! Been to the Stephanie Cutter school of truth? You just stepped way over the line.
    Bill Davis