The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax dodger wants in the whitehouse

Quote Originally Posted by sambo View Post
    Let's throw the elderly out in the streets along with the sick and eflicted so Mr. Romney doesn't have to pay any taxes. For your information, the upper-middle class is who takes it on the chin. They can't do all the things this wantabe can do, so quit giving him a pass.
    Excuse please But isn't it Obama that has ALREADY cut 713 million from medicare to pay for Obamacare. ????

BobbyB
    cajun

This time around I would like an American with values and morals in the WH. If there are more jobs we dont need all the food stamps, unemployment etc. let people go to work. The poor will always be taken care of. Obamas way didnt work to well. If your worried about the elderly and sick being in the street you sure dont want Obamacare.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 08-26-2012 at 06:28 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    The arguments generally over when folks respond in this manner but I am going to respond so folks who have a clue are aware of where things come from .

I always find it interesting that the other 2700 or so innocents are forgotten about when kudos are attempted. The loss of any life unnecessarily is not taken lightly, I just don't believe the FF's sacrifice is any greater than the innocents that were killed.

As for education I believe I'm capable of holding my own in that area.

Now for the educators - my source on the talent pool being the lower 25 %ile is Thomas Sowell originally with later back up from George Will. Most folks who are even slightly read know of them & their qualifications.

I spent 6 1/2 years as a twice elected member of a 3000 student School District. As Negotiations chair for 5 1/2 years of that time I became familiar with the educators Agenda. The two negotiators for the teachers were a little taken aback when we explained to them that advances in one area meant subtractions in others. One of those two negotiators, & also the most dogmatic of the two, is now Superintendent of the district & drags down around $300,000 per year for his time in the field. Anyone who believes that is not serious bread needs their head examined. As for the classroom teacher not making that, there is generally a reason folks don't advance, like lack of talent to affect the learning process on a large scale.

When our youngest went to CWU he had a GF that was taking a 3 hour credit course in making paper mache models. That's the kind of course that most with any intelligence would handle with a simple explanation.

Has anyone ever wondered why there is a shortage of Math & Science teachers in the K-12 system? Even at the Elementary-HS level it takes a certain level of stuff between your ears to comprehend what is being presented.

Now, mngundog, your posts have generally been at a level unworthy of response & you appparently enjoy pushing others around as long as they don't push back. You don't even post like someone I would care to have a conversation with.

I am a Korean Conflict vet but have never traded on that except to use the 36 months of the GI Bill for which the US has been repaid handsomely. When they put up a monument to the vets in this town, I bought a brick & only put the branch of service & time on it, no name. The Vietnam vets were the last draftees, IMO, those folks & the ones who came before them are a different kind of veteran than those who volunteer today & receive greater compensation.
    This is the exact "MADE UP CRAP" I'm talking about, you use a Administrative salary $300,000 and use it as "teacher pay" to justify teacher's salary being to high and you go on to imply that the a teachers goal in life is to advance to an administrative position to increase their "teacher income", what a load of crap. You use a lie to run a profession into the ground.
    Last edited by mngundog; 08-26-2012 at 09:30 PM.

QUOTE=Marvin S;1002233]If you don't believe $25 an hour worked is sufficient for a beginner with the qualifications most teachers arrive with then they want you on the school board .

Maybe you and I have different math skills. Here's how I see it:

$30,000 annual salary ...div by 44 weeks of work (our teachers are off for 8 weeks of summer vaca. yes, that sounds awesome, I only get 2 weeks paid, but, then again, you dont find me working for $30k/year either)..... = $681/week div by 40 hours/week (yes, they do work 40+ hours weekly) equals roughly $17 per hour. NOT $25/hr

6 figure incomes for engineers is a myth, those who arrive there are mostly worth it - what you are trying to defend is people not so smart trying to get paid like people who are .

Given my husband's profession, I am fortunate enough to have met several engineers in many different fields.... structural and chemical... the bottom of the class entry level earners make around $80k, the top chemical engineer met 3 years ago lives on the beach next door to Paula Deen. I think he makes plenty (probably about 10x your administrators pay). I have yet to find this to be a myth of any kind. Are they worth it? Yes. No dispute.

It's been their show for years,they managed to screw it up royally, now the students suffer!!!!!!!! but they are still richly compensated.

[/QUOTE]

Who is richly compensated?

Be sure and certain you read this nice and slow so maybe you will comprehend what I am writing:

I do not advocate paying idiots to teach my children in school. Read carefully my first post on this subject: Some deserve more money, some deserve to be run completely out of the field.

When this country begins taking the education of our future teachers seriously... then and only then will those teachers be serious about educating our children.

When the brightest student in college has a choice of fields to enter.... ONE choice can make him a handsome salary (enough to repay his years of college tuition) the OTHER can earn him $30k/year.
    If he is truly the brightest ... which will he choose??????

"I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Maybe when kids can have two parents again who actually care about their kids instead of sending them to school and expecting the teacher to be mom dad therapist and teacher, our kids will care about getting an education. Parents do not care at all what the kid does but than blames the teacher when Johnny fails a class. Parents need to step up we expect to much from our teachers and they don not get paid enough for having to put up with the abuse they take each day. It starts at home
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

ARay11,
    Actually, your calculations are not exactly in line with how most school teachers are paid. The vast majority of school districts work between approximately 180-190 schools days a year. This takes into account professional development days, record keeping days and actual days when students are present. Additionally, generally a teacher's contract is for a 7 hour work day x the # of days in the school year. Example: a teacher works 7 hours a day for 184 days. If you use the $30,000 salary/work days/hours then that would equate to $23.30 per hour. Some would make a little more and some a little less per hour based on the example.

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    Maybe when kids can have two parents again who actually care about their kids instead of sending them to school and expecting the teacher to be mom dad therapist and teacher, our kids will care about getting an education. Parents do not care at all what the kid does but than blames the teacher when Johnny fails a class. Parents need to step up we expect to much from our teachers and they don not get paid enough for having to put up with the abuse they take each day. It starts at home
    I think this is where the private schools have such a huge advantage over public. Parents care (otherwise, they would save the money and just enroll in the free public school) and that care shows. Teachers care (they are compensated far better than public educators) and those teachers know exactly who their employers are.... and they are not school board members.... they are the parents writing the checks.

I know privatized education is NOT a possibility, please dont misunderstand.

Our area is one of the most impoverished in the state with over 75% of students qualifying for aid. It is difficult to see the K class teachers being responsible for teaching their students to brush their teeth, comb their hair, and, all too often, the school providing shoes for children who arrive wearing none. Yes, the kids arrive wearing no shoes. When they finally get their entire class ready for instruction, the morning is nearly gone. My question is always, "What about the kids that showed up fed, clean, rested, and ready for instruction?". Well, they sit and wait on the kids who didn't.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

The majority of private school teachers do not make anywhere near the salary that public school teachers make. At least not in the SE region of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post

Maybe you and I have different math skills. Here's how I see it:

$30,000 annual salary ...div by 44 weeks of work (our teachers are off for 8 weeks of summer vaca. yes, that sounds awesome, I only get 2 weeks paid, but, then again, you dont find me working for $30k/year either)..... = $681/week div by 40 hours/week (yes, they do work 40+ hours weekly) equals roughly $17 per hour. NOT $25/hr -

It not a difference in math skills - it's a difference in information (do you know what your teachers contract states) - in WA the contractual year is 182 days, 7 hours/day, 5 max in the classroom - 10 days sick leave (or they accumulate till they retire, lump sum it at the highest pay & fatten the retirement check) & usually 3 personal days with no accountability - early dismissal to allow planning time is a given - around 10 days per year when it's all added up, which is a loss of face time with the student - add to that the lowering of class sizes & the taxpayer is being royally shafted - & don't give me the kids are different today with poor parenting - It existed in my day & some of them & us worked through that - If a teacher is worth the money they stimulate, if not they vegetate.

The neat thing is there are people with the necessary funding are seriously concerned about the dumbing down & are recognizing that emphasis on STEM will upgrade the US labor pool.

Quote Originally Posted by ARay
    Given my husband's profession, I am fortunate enough to have met several engineers in many different fields.... structural and chemical... the bottom of the class entry level earners make around $80k, the top chemical engineer met 3 years ago lives on the beach next door to Paula Deen. I think he makes plenty (probably about 10x your administrators pay). I have yet to find this to be a myth of any kind. Are they worth it? Yes. No dispute.
    Chem Engr's & EE's have always been at the top paywise of the engineering profession - If one wants to work in a refinery that's fine, many of us with the skills to have entered that field chose something requiring more diverse skills. Living next to someone you believe of note (who's Paula Deen?) is not real high on my list of things to do.

Who is richly compensated?

Be sure and certain you read this nice and slow so maybe you will comprehend what I am writing:

I do not advocate paying idiots to teach my children in school. Read carefully my first post on this subject: Some deserve more money, some deserve to be run completely out of the field.

When this country begins taking the education of our future teachers seriously... then and only then will those teachers be serious about educating our children.

When the brightest student in college has a choice of fields to enter.... ONE choice can make him a handsome salary (enough to repay his years of college tuition) the OTHER can earn him $30k/year.
    If he is truly the brightest ... which will he choose??????

Actually I can read it fast as what you say indicates your knowledge of the subject is pretty shallow . What you advocate is that all teachers should receive the compensation of the brightest one, which is now how it's done

As for taking education seriously, for years it worked quite well the way it was - my generation placed a man on the moon. Is someone with a MA necessary to teach kindergarten? For years the country schools of SD cranked out some kids with the tools to compete in the world - All 3 of us in my 4th grade class at Jacobus School (now a granary) went on to get engineering degrees including one who got a Doctorate in Geological Engineering. - those teachers were graduates of a 30 week over 5 years normal school course.

Have a nice day - but don't run for the SB until you get better informed
    Last edited by Marvin S; 08-27-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Marvin,
    At the risk of getting in the middle of the peeing contest between you and ARay I would like to point out that most states only allow a certain number of sick days to be "cashed in" at retirement and professional development is generally counted in addition to the days of students attending school. But the biggest question I would ask of you is where are class sizes becoming smaller? I do not know of any region in the country where teacher's classrooms are shrinking!!! I could be wrong on this but I don't think so.