The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Living on little or no money.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,168

    Default Living on little or no money.

    Wonder how most of us will manage to eat and live if this country crashes as it seems to be doing ? Saw an ad for "life time" canning lids a few days ago and was tempted to buy a case or two
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  2. #2
    Senior Member Daniel J Simoens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    DePere, WI
    Posts
    1,108

    Default

    it would behoove you to purchase as much ammo as you can now.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

  3. #3
    Senior Member BonMallari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LV/CenTex/Idaho
    Posts
    12,680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J Simoens View Post
    it would behoove you to purchase as much ammo as you can now.

    I am clinging to my guns and Bible......actually its my iPhone and a shotgun, but ammo is always welcome
    All my Exes live in Texas

    Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

  4. #4
    Senior Member Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    10,791

    Default

    Gold wouldn't do one much good as fertilizer and seed would be worth more.
    It's time we abandon our party affiliations and rather than being good Dems or good Repubs we all become good Americans. MJH345

  5. #5
    Senior Member gmhr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    3,733

    Default

    Guns, ammo also I stock up on bottle water and can foods, dry foods. I used to buy them in case of a earthquake now its in case of Obama ( end of the world as we know it )
    Last edited by gmhr1; 08-20-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

  6. #6
    Senior Member Susie Royer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    Saw an ad for "life time" canning lids a few days ago and was tempted to buy a case or two
    Canning lids are useless unless you have jars and food to put in them LOL Still not finished but by the end of this fall these shelves will be full and I'll have another wall just for dry goods. You can bet this is one family who won't be standing in line at the ATM for cash, food, gas or ammo if the SHTF



  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    My paternal grandmother and a neighbor of hers used to can 1000 plus quarts each for their families. I can tell you that I have never canned a lot. Hubby says that the best corn we ever canned was the Rainbow or Indian corn that is mainly planted for making decorations. No one has ruined it genetic make-up I guess. Best soup we ever canned was simply everything in danger of the frost one year that was still left in the garden. Immature corn ears were included in this soup. It had a good amount of tomatoes in it also and I do love tomatoes. The down side to all this canning etc. will be that people without food will be stealing it......that is where the guns come in but who wants to shoot hungry people who just want something to eat. Guess we plant something most people won't eat unless they are starving. I figure we have pigeons for one thing since they get out and find much or all of their own food. Since we don't have enough land to keep even one cow to milk I guess a nanny goat ( I hate goat milk but others in the family like it ). Of course there are all these four-footed critters that keep coming into the yard. Family "back when" said that after the Indians traveled through their area that there were no box turtles to be seen. We have plenty of "Texas Turkey" here in our area 'coons always harvest the corn so we could harvest them instead I guess. I have three kinds of corn ( seed ) in the freezer. Now after saying all this if it was a year like this one the corn sure wouldn't "make".
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Shelbyville, Tn
    Posts
    1,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    My paternal grandmother and a neighbor of hers used to can 1000 plus quarts each for their families. I can tell you that I have never canned a lot. Hubby says that the best corn we ever canned was the Rainbow or Indian corn that is mainly planted for making decorations. No one has ruined it genetic make-up I guess. Best soup we ever canned was simply everything in danger of the frost one year that was still left in the garden. Immature corn ears were included in this soup. It had a good amount of tomatoes in it also and I do love tomatoes. The down side to all this canning etc. will be that people without food will be stealing it......that is where the guns come in but who wants to shoot hungry people who just want something to eat. Guess we plant something most people won't eat unless they are starving. I figure we have pigeons for one thing since they get out and find much or all of their own food. Since we don't have enough land to keep even one cow to milk I guess a nanny goat ( I hate goat milk but others in the family like it ). Of course there are all these four-footed critters that keep coming into the yard. Family "back when" said that after the Indians traveled through their area that there were no box turtles to be seen. We have plenty of "Texas Turkey" here in our area 'coons always harvest the corn so we could harvest them instead I guess. I have three kinds of corn ( seed ) in the freezer. Now after saying all this if it was a year like this one the corn sure wouldn't "make".
    I don't know you but my guess is that if someone came by and told you they were hungry, you would give them something to eat. I believe that anyone who is industrious enough to can and reduce their cost of food, would cheerfully feed one stoping by that was hungry.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    N.E. Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I don't know you but my guess is that if someone came by and told you they were hungry, you would give them something to eat. I believe that anyone who is industrious enough to can and reduce their cost of food, would cheerfully feed one stoping by that was hungry.
    Probably but after the first 20 or 30 there would have to be a stop put to feeding people. I have known some people who were very near starving many years ago. One neighbor who raised a family in the late '30s and '40s told me that she overheard her husband telling someone many years after the kids were all grown and gone from home, "there were many days when I didn't know what we were going to eat but Louise (his
    wife ) always found something to fix a meal from." I know what they ate. They ate........... wild greens, corn bread ( meal from their own corn ) and fish from the creek. In spring time they ate wild onions and eggs till the onions got to tough to eat. It was a fight many years to keep the chickens alive because the hawks liked chicken very, very well. They managed to keep enough chickens alive to have fresh eggs for their family. Now days some smart aleck kid with a government job would be arresting them for something.
    charly

    There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

  10. #10
    Senior Member road kill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    10,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charly_t View Post
    My paternal grandmother and a neighbor of hers used to can 1000 plus quarts each for their families. I can tell you that I have never canned a lot. Hubby says that the best corn we ever canned was the Rainbow or Indian corn that is mainly planted for making decorations. No one has ruined it genetic make-up I guess. Best soup we ever canned was simply everything in danger of the frost one year that was still left in the garden. Immature corn ears were included in this soup. It had a good amount of tomatoes in it also and I do love tomatoes. The down side to all this canning etc. will be that people without food will be stealing it......that is where the guns come in but who wants to shoot hungry people who just want something to eat. Guess we plant something most people won't eat unless they are starving. I figure we have pigeons for one thing since they get out and find much or all of their own food. Since we don't have enough land to keep even one cow to milk I guess a nanny goat ( I hate goat milk but others in the family like it ). Of course there are all these four-footed critters that keep coming into the yard. Family "back when" said that after the Indians traveled through their area that there were no box turtles to be seen. We have plenty of "Texas Turkey" here in our area 'coons always harvest the corn so we could harvest them instead I guess. I have three kinds of corn ( seed ) in the freezer. Now after saying all this if it was a year like this one the corn sure wouldn't "make".
    My Grand parents "root cellar" was always a treat!

    Canned;
    Squirrel
    Rabbit
    Quail
    Chicken & dumplings (open...heat & eat!!!!)
    Tomatoes
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Peaches
    Collared Greens
    String Beans
    Squash
    All kinds of nuts (walnuts pecans peanuts) by the bushell basket

    Aged beef & pork (fat back)

    Chickens & eggs every day
    Fresh milk every day


    We ate like KINGS!!!!

    Way better than people eat now!

    How many of you have ever been in a "root cellar?"
    Stan b & Elvis

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •