The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Living on little or no money.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    My Grand parents "root cellar" was always a treat!

Canned;
    Squirrel
    Rabbit
    Quail
    Chicken & dumplings (open...heat & eat!!!!)
    Tomatoes
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Peaches
    Collared Greens
    String Beans
    Squash
    All kinds of nuts (walnuts pecans peanuts) by the bushell basket

Aged beef & pork (fat back)

Chickens & eggs every day
    Fresh milk every day

We ate like KINGS!!!!

Way better than people eat now!

How many of you have ever been in a "root cellar?"
    Stan we went and looked at a house last weekend where the industrious old gentleman has turned his root cellar into a "man cave".......offer goes in today. maybe i can posts pics later LOL
    Marty Lee
    HRCH Daisey's Rambunctious Rascal "Rambo"
    Co-Owner HRCH Summers Gusty Breeze "Gussie"

Well I can attest for living on little or no money. I had to scrape for almost 8 years to feed my family and dogs. Most of you don't understand what it is like to be a Vet with disabilities and raise a child with Autism. I think some people have lost perspective of what is really important in this country or lets say all around the world. When you have little or nothing and you have to sell everything in your house to pay for gas money. You have no place to go except back to the place you call home. I was one of the lucky ones. How about you all. Can you say that you have been to hell and back. I have practiced survival skills for years. The government trained me when I was 15 in the Job Corps. Now I am living fine doing what I like to do. Running a small business. You don't have to own a big ranch or have expensive things to be happy.

My Grand parents "root cellar" was always a treat!

Canned;
    Squirrel
    Rabbit
    Quail
    Chicken & dumplings (open...heat & eat!!!!)
    Tomatoes
    Strawberries
    Blackberries
    Blueberries
    Peaches
    Collared Greens
    String Beans
    Squash
    All kinds of nuts (walnuts pecans peanuts) by the bushell basket

Aged beef & pork (fat back)

Chickens & eggs every day
    Fresh milk every day

We ate like KINGS!!!!

Way better than people eat now!

How many of you have ever been in a "root cellar
    ?"
    Never actually seen one....didn't Granny have one in the Beverly Hillbillies....was it an actual basement or was it like a shed out back
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Never actually seen one....didn't Granny have one in the Beverly Hillbillies....was it an actual basement or was it like a shed out back
    Ours was underground.
    Never too hot, never too cold.

Had a mound, field stones and a wooden door at the entrance.
    Set of stairs and everything was underground.
    Stan b & Elvis

ours is about an 8x8 underground cellar. concrete walls, concrete stairs, metal door... enough room for the family to camp out in case of a tornado, and walls lined with shelves for canned goods.... one of these days I will can more than just applebutter LOL
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

First thing Michelle Obama did was plant a garden maybe she was preparing for the next 4 yrs in case hes re elected.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 08-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by featherqwest View Post
    Well I can attest for living on little or no money. I had to scrape for almost 8 years to feed my family and dogs. Most of you don't understand what it is like to be a Vet with disabilities and raise a child with Autism. I think some people have lost perspective of what is really important in this country or lets say all around the world. When you have little or nothing and you have to sell everything in your house to pay for gas money. You have no place to go except back to the place you call home. I was one of the lucky ones. How about you all. Can you say that you have been to hell and back. I have practiced survival skills for years. The government trained me when I was 15 in the Job Corps. Now I am living fine doing what I like to do. Running a small business. You don't have to own a big ranch or have expensive things to be happy.
    I have always said..........you can only wear one suit of clothes at a time, drive one car ( pick-up etc. ) at a time and sleep in one bed at a time. People really don't need much to be happy and comfortable. The older I get the less I find that I require to be comfortabe and content.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

"A man's wealth is measured by how happy he is with what he has."

I live by that, be in the moment!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Ours was underground.
    Never too hot, never too cold.

Had a mound, field stones and a wooden door at the entrance.
    Set of stairs and everything was underground.
    And it smells wonderfull ! Or am I the only person who thinks that underground root cellars smell good. We are not blessed with a root cellar here on this place. No place really to put one where it would not have water running into it.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Well said Charley. I just add even though we lived in a mold house for 3 years it was only a temp. We now live in a fairly new house with no root cellar yet. We have our rain barrels and garden. Even after losing everything it is the American way to get the good things in life back. It just takes "time". Yes I will get a new puppy and train it! I can add that the 3 goldens I have now are very nice doggies. Not Champs but great companions. Make do or "dew" is the "key" word. Yes I own 2 old cars I paid cash. Yes cold hard cash. No credit cards. Never again. Now the bank owns the house. The good thing is that my husband works from home. We don't have to worry about putting any "roots" down anymore.