The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fool a lab in eating there food...

Default How to fool a lab in eating there food...

My new pup doesnt care too much about his food (Large Breed Puppy Euk) and found our other dogs adult food (NutriSource) and went absolutely crazy over it to the point now he continues to go to that area constantly and now feed the adult dog outside and hide his food when he is done.

The pup also loves his treats and goes crazy of them too.

Any thoughts? I havent run into this before..
    HPK's A Warriors Call "Titan"
    HPK's Every Shot Counts (Ammo)

sounds like he does not like your large breed euk,
    try another? did you try a kibble? is it good?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    sounds like he does not like your large breed euk,
    try another? did you try a kibble? is it good?
    I wil try a piece to see if its good at lunch when I get him out. If it seems fine I thought about adding some of the canned mix to see if he may like the smell a little more and if that doesnt work I am definitely switching to a different food.

2 ideas come to mind.
    Ken touched on the idea that maybe he does not like Euk Puppy Chow. Try another. I use Purina Pro Plan for treats and everyone loves it. I feed Euk so go figure.

2ed, I put feed down twice a day and they have 5 minutes to eat. Then it's back up until the next feeding. No fooling around......... Don

i fed Euk. large breed puppy for 5 months and same type a deal it would take 5-10 minutes for him to eat it after 10 i took the bowl away often times with what remained.

i think ken may have been joking about trying the food. i did though and it was nasty

i switched to victor 30/20 and it usually lasts 2 minutes in the bowl if that. i also tried it. very meaty/blood tasting. probably from the lack of corn, soy, wheat, or other glutens in it

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    2 ideas come to mind.
    Ken touched on the idea that maybe he does not like Euk Puppy Chow. Try another. I use Purina Pro Plan for treats and everyone loves it. I feed Euk so go figure.

2ed, I put feed down twice a day and they have 5 minutes to eat. Then it's back up until the next feeding. No fooling around......... Don

I am no expert but my gut feeling is telling me that Ken is right on and doesnt like the puppy chow I am hoping that isnt the case cuz I have 9 bags of it, but from how hard he ate the other food and how reacts to one kibble in my hand and looks away after smelling it, its obviously not appealing to him.

I am feeding him 1 cup in the morning (530am) lunch 12 and dinner at like 7 and gets 5 mins to finish but is done trying to eat in like 30 seconds and walks away and doesnt care at all on moves on to the next thing and never checks back to see if its there and completely opposite of the other food he got a little taste of and is always checking back to see if its there.

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    i fed Euk. large breed puppy for 5 months and same type a deal it would take 5-10 minutes for him to eat it after 10 i took the bowl away often times with what remained.

i think ken may have been joking about trying the food. i did though and it was nasty

i switched to victor 30/20 and it usually lasts 2 minutes in the bowl if that. i also tried it. very meaty/blood tasting. probably from the lack of corn, soy, wheat, or other glutens in it
    Ive tried plenty of dog food and didnt think it was all that bad... I think you could tell if it was rotten or not

Quote Originally Posted by blake_mhoona View Post
    .....i think ken may have been joking about trying the food. i did though and it was nasty....
    um, no. I was not. I have snacked on every type of kibble I have ever fed my dogs. Just as I have pushed every button on my collar on my arm. You know those great snack crackers "Chicken in a biskit"? I love those BTW. Anyway real good dry dog food kinda taste like those. BTW read the ing of those human crackers and they are very much like grocery store dog food. The stuff we all warn against. and we woof it down in handfulls, with DIP!

anyway, if Fang Jr. don't like it try another. not like euk is manna from on high or sumptin'
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by FPA Ammo View Post
    ..... I am hoping that isnt the case cuz I have 9 bags of it,.....
    well
    1 crags list is your friend, a guy down the street my have a pup that loves it.
    2 the local in your town rescue always need food.

they are only a pup for so long. let him have something he likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    well
    1 crags list is your friend, a guy down the street my have a pup that loves it.
    2 the local in your town rescue always need food.

they are only a pup for so long. let him have something he likes.

fortunately I have both options, my neighbor has a 4 month pup and is feeding Euk and I also have a rescue just down the road I have brought food to as well.

I would much rather feed him something he likes than something I want him to like