The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abdominal tumor

We took the tumor out today along with annie's spleen. Total weight was 5 lbs 1 ounce. She is resting and doing well, so far.
    Rod T. Gardner

Quote Originally Posted by docG View Post
    We took the tumor out today along with annie's spleen. Total weight was 5 lbs 1 ounce. She is resting and doing well, so far.
    I was a little worried about clicking on this thread when I saw you posted, but happy to see she is doing well after the surgery! Here's to a full uneventful recovery!

FOM
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

I hope she continues to do well... and that you get to enjoy her for a long time to come.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Best wishes for a good recovery. My Flat Coated Retriever (4 years old) had an emergency spleenectomy and tumor removed in February of this year and I was praying due to her young age it was a splenic hematoma like Dr. Ed mentioned. However, the pathology came back hemagiosarcoma. My girl had four good months post-surgery until the cancer took over in June, and it was time to let her go.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

My dog recently had his spleen removed. He lost 14 pounds having the surgery.

Here's hoping it is benign.
    I lost my "dog of a lifetime" to hemiangiosarc about 14 months ago. On ultrasound, the internist could see multiple spots in the spleen and part of the liver did not look right. Did a transfusion which really pepped her up. She felt so much better. Had a surgeon do the surgery as it is very difficult for me to be objective on my own dog. Removed the spleen and part of the liver. She recovered from surgery pretty well, they are tough. Histopath came back as hemiangiosarc, in the liver too. Did some chemo that did not hit her real hard but at the time for the 4th treatment, ultrasound showed large changes in he liver. We decided chemo was not working, oncologist suggested another type but I elected to stop. In another 2 weeks I had her euthanized, right after we shot 4 live pheasants for her last memories. Told my wife we will never do that again. If it comes up again as pretty obvious hemiangio I am going to give a transfusion and the week or so that it may give, then say goodbye. We got 3 months out of that treatment and surgery and she was OK 80% of the time. But we spent enough to pay for a semester of college for my daughter, now daughter #2 starts college. Only so many resources.

3 weeks before she showed any signs she was hunting with me in N. Dakota, she retrieved the last 2 birds of the trip and my first ever pintail drake, too bad it was way to immature to mount. I had her for just short of 13 years. Very cherished memories.
    Nate Baxter, DVM
    Lebanon, OH

I see this is an older thread, but...
    There have been some very encouraging results using yunnan baiyao, also called yunnan paiyao, (http://csuvets.colostate.edu/pain/Ar...iyao111206.pdf , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yunnan_Baiyao) in dogs with confirmed hemangiosarcoma.
    While it can't cure the disease, it does seem to help with the internal bleeding, at least for the short term, thereby improving the dog's quality of life.
    You may have to talk to a holistic veterinarian to get more information about it.
    I always have a couple of the "emergency pills" in my first aid kit.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

Prayers are with you in making a good recovery
    Jeremy
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by NateB View Post
    Here's hoping it is benign.
    I lost my "dog of a lifetime" to hemiangiosarc about 14 months ago. On ultrasound, the internist could see multiple spots in the spleen and part of the liver did not look right. Did a transfusion which really pepped her up. She felt so much better. Had a surgeon do the surgery as it is very difficult for me to be objective on my own dog. Removed the spleen and part of the liver. She recovered from surgery pretty well, they are tough. Histopath came back as hemiangiosarc, in the liver too. Did some chemo that did not hit her real hard but at the time for the 4th treatment, ultrasound showed large changes in he liver. We decided chemo was not working, oncologist suggested another type but I elected to stop. In another 2 weeks I had her euthanized, right after we shot 4 live pheasants for her last memories. Told my wife we will never do that again. If it comes up again as pretty obvious hemiangio I am going to give a transfusion and the week or so that it may give, then say goodbye. We got 3 months out of that treatment and surgery and she was OK 80% of the time. But we spent enough to pay for a semester of college for my daughter, now daughter #2 starts college. Only so many resources.

3 weeks before she showed any signs she was hunting with me in N. Dakota, she retrieved the last 2 birds of the trip and my first ever pintail drake, too bad it was way to immature to mount. I had her for just short of 13 years. Very cherished memories.
    One of my dogs of a lifetime was a 16 pound JRT who had an acute abdominal hemorrhage from a splenic hemangiosarcoma at age 11, splenectomy and chemotherapy gave us 6 months when everyday I wondered if that was the last day, like you, if it happens again we will say our goodbyes sooner rather than later, some days my heart is still broken for my Fred.

End of life decisions are always difficult. Are we making choices for ourselves, or our dogs? And then , of course, there are the expenses involved which can be staggering. I have just been through this with a 7 year old pointer. The diagnosis was grim, but we opted not to pursue oncologic options, choosing instead to put her on steroids which gave her a couple of weeks of good quality of life. This gave me time to enjoy her in a different way, and time for her to enjoy special meals and outings and lots of attention and affection. It didn't make the end much easier, but I felt we had made the right decision. One thing I refuse to feel about not choosing a more expensive option for any of my ailing animals is guilt.