RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Next top stud?

56K views 106 replies 60 participants last post by  Happy Gilmore 
#1 ·
Just bored. Had my wisdom teeth pulled today.

Just a wondering who people think there pick for the next up and coming top lab stud dog will be.

#83 · (Edited)
Marks S, I agree that Ford is producing very nice pups that are doing well in the Q and derby. I have a Ford daughter at home that just made it to the 3rd series in her 2nd Am.. Watched him for a long time. How much do you know about his get?

Jeff

#89 ·
My Ford pup is now 9 months old. Everything I was hoping for and so much more. Beautiful confirmation, excellent marker and lives to work! Always always happy. Tail is always waging and he is the sweetest little guy you could ever ask for. You will not be disappointed

#91 ·
FC CFC Sweeties easy rider “Ford” I’ve done two breedings to Ford. The pups that went to pro trainers are doing great.They made the Derby list and are Qualified all age.One of her siblings made the derby list with 27 points, went to the derby nationals and finished. I kept a pup from the last breeding and she is running open level marks. She needs work on her blinds but looks like she has what it takes for the big game. In my opinion I feel the bitch brings more to the table then the stud. If you have a great bitch, then find the stud that will enhance the bitch. With my two breedings to Ford, I got excellent marking,intense focus and he definitely brings prey drive to a whole new level. Depending on your bitch your results may vary.

#94 ·
Surprised no one mention Alex Abraham's Tucker. Most of his pups are young but the two I kept out of two diff litter(same bitch) are amazing. Mine and one other out of the first litter ran a combined 13 derbies and finished 7. The female I kept from 2nd litter just turned 1 last month and running Qual type setups with the older dog and really good blinds at 1 yr old. I like them so well I'm 3 peating the breeding in a few days.

#95 ·
I started this thread in 2012, so Tucker wasn’t but one. He definitely is one to mention now.

#96 ·
We certainly like the direction our Tucker pup is headed. Smart, birdy, really good marker, with TONS of GO!!!

#98 ·
"Next"? Ford IS producing. Stryder sired the current high point derby dog and I expect those who use Stryder or Ford will have favorable results with their pups. Stryder and Ford are two of the coolest field trial dogs I've ever met. I may be impartial.

#99 · (Edited)
FC Truline Just Floyd ,won the derby at my place and the open the same weekend. , Running the 2019 NFT as a 2 year old. Truly great accomplishments for such a young dog. May be he can produce something similar. We will see as time passes.

Pete

#100 ·
Now you're gonna have every 2 year old derby and open hopeful wanting to run at your place pete...hahalol

#101 ·
Why does there have to be A "top stud"? Better to have different choices for different females for a better fit than to create another bottleneck. Most of the people wanting to know the top stud is just because they don't want to research what is best for them. Many studs are NOT prepotent, and many may not nick well with all lines of females.

#102 ·
Many studs are NOT prepotent, and many may not nick well with all lines of females.
While we agree on the definition of prepotentcy we may not agree on the standard but for me, in my almost 50 years in retrievers, there have only been a handful of truly prepotent sires.

#103 ·
That should have been a 1,2 instead of an and, but there have been many outstanding females that have produced with multiple different top males. There must be something special on that extra X chromosome when it's doubled up. Are XXX females produced in dogs?

#105 ·
Now you're gonna have every 2 year old derby and open hopeful wanting to run at your place pete...hahalol

I did not think it was possible for a derby dog to hold a laser guided line at such a distance with such a technical water memory bird. The open was held down the road. If your in the area give me a call and we'll play with some doggies.
Pete

#107 ·
It was a very cool and spectacular weekend for sure. John and Amies dogs will always excell at doing technical water. No doubt about that 🙂 always great seeing you. See you in spring time Pete. Always a great time! Stay warm brother!

#106 ·
I agree with Paul on Ford and Stryder. Super cool dogs that are producing. Floyd is by Kid. Kid has produced some very nice pups, obviously, that can mark and have intelligence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.