The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: less govt

Banned

Default less govt

Ok. Here's another question and this one is open for the wisecrackers. If Republicans believe in less govt, then why do they even bother fielding a candidate? Is it just to be a pain in the Democrat's butt who thinks that more govt is the way. And another thing, why are countries that have the right to vote and elect officials called "democratic" countries and people refer to these countries as a country of "democracy"?

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    Ok. Here's another question and this one is open for the wisecrackers. If Republicans believe in less govt, then why do they even bother fielding a candidate? Is it just to be a pain in the Democrat's butt who thinks that more govt is the way. And another thing, why are countries that have the right to vote and elect officials called "democratic" countries and people refer to these countries as a country of "democracy"?
    You deserve the beating your about to take.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Not sure it's worth the effort.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Just trying to lighten the mood. I am ready for this one. You're right, I deserve this beating.

Isn't a democracy a form of government where majority rules (mob) i.e, democrats and a republic a representative form of government which follows laws (Constitution) i.e., republicans? Hmm makes you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by coachmo View Post
    Isn't a democracy a form of government where majority rules (mob) and a republic a representative form of government which follows laws (Constitution) i.e., Republican? Hmm makes you wonder.
    Yeah it makes me wonder; but for a WAY different reason than you would understand

Since you have no idea what I'm wondering about why don't you enlighten me. I understand that the Republican party does not prescribe to the same ideals as our founding fathers. So please shine some of your wisdom down!
    Last edited by coachmo; 08-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Isn't a democracy a form of government where majority rules (mob) i.e, democrats and a republic a representative form of government which follows laws (Constitution) i.e., republicans? Hmm makes you wonder.
    um, not quite, almost.
    re·pub·lic

   /rɪˈpʌblɪk/ Show Spelled[ri-puhb-lik] Show IPA
    noun 1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.

2. any body of persons viewed as a commonwealth.

3. a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.

4. ( initial capital letter ) any of the five periods of republican government in France. Compare First Republic, Second Republic, Third Republic, Fourth Republic, Fifth Republic.

5. ( initial capital letter, italics ) a philosophical dialogue (4th century b.c.) by Plato dealing with the composition and structure of the ideal state.

de·moc·ra·cy

   /dɪˈmɒkrəsi/ Show Spelled[dih-mok-ruh-see] Show IPA
    noun, plural de·moc·ra·cies. 1. government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.

2. a state having such a form of government: The United States and Canada are democracies.

3. a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.

4. political or social equality; democratic spirit.

5. the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Um, sorry depends on which definition you use, but thanks for the input. So are you saying that majority doesn't rule in a democracy or that a republic doesn't follow a set of laws? Curious!
    Last edited by coachmo; 09-03-2012 at 09:14 AM.

.... the Republican party does not prescribe to the same ideals as our founding fathers.
    do tell?
    they had just tossed off a king.
    BIG gov. vs. small gov.
    gosh, they musta been libertarians!
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin