The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Is This For Class?

it is almost certain that that name was bestowed by a Democrat.
    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    To begin with, the ranch isn't known as niggerhead, just that small division from what I can find out. the Ranch originally belonged to Tom and Ida Nations Hendrick. Tom moved from Kentucky to Texas in the early 1870's (certainly makes it reasonable to think that there was a better than even chance that he was Democrat). As the owners of the ranch, certainly some chance that they named that division, however, if you are acquainted with the way names are frequently bestowed on places like this, it could just as easily have been some cowhand trying to describe the area to the boss or another cowhand. I didn't say that I knew who named the property, just that considering the historical political affiliations in post civil war Texas it is at least as likely that it was a Democrat as a Republican. It is very clearly a FACT that Rick Perry had NOTHING to do with bestowing that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by HPL View Post
    Still not spin. Although it is certainly true that we don't know exactly who named that division of the Hendricks property, it is a FACT that there is little reason to believe that the name has anything to do with Perry's position on race. The spin was when his political enemies implied that leasing the hunting rights to a piece of property that historically had a currently politically incorrect name somehow made Rick Perry a racist. I would hold that it no more makes him a racist than fishing at a point in Baffin Bay with the same name makes my friends racist. Everything I wrote was FACT. Sorry if it offends your perceptions. I also take exception to your description of my calm, well worded comment as a rant.
    Everything you wrote was not a fact, you speculated on who named it (Democrats), you even admitted to guessing. At least around here, when we guess at something, we don't call that a FACT.
    Last edited by mngundog; 09-07-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Everything you wrote was not a fact, you speculated on who named it (Democrats), you even admitted to guessing. At least around here, when we guess at something, we don't call that a FACT.
    I didn't say that it was a fact that it was a Democrat that bestowed the name, only that it is a fact that there is a high probability that the name was bestowed by a Democrat (simply looking at the political makeup of the South during the time the name was most likely betowed).
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com