The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are We Better Off Than We Were Four Years Ago?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Is your house worth more than what it was four years ago? The average house has lost 40% of it's value in that time...
    I lost my job when bush was in office, lost my house during that time because I couldn't find a job in my field of expertise. Shortly after Obama took office, I got a job paying more than the one I had before with no stress as opposed to the stress filled one I had before. I don't own a house now and frankly don't want to. I make a nice living and get to do alot of things I couldn't do before. Probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    I lost my job when bush was in office, lost my house during that time because I couldn't find a job in my field of expertise. Shortly after Obama took office, I got a job paying more than the one I had before with no stress as opposed to the stress filled one I had before. I don't own a house now and frankly don't want to. I make a nice living and get to do alot of things I couldn't do before. Probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago.
    You need to vote for Obama then if you think he had anything to do with it.
    Bill Davis

Real estate values around here have never gone down in the last 25 years.
    One could say the same for housing values in my area. Houses today cost more here than the same house would have cost 25 years ago. The same is probably true of almost any area except some inner cities that have decayed over time.

HOWEVER ... prices here have decreased from what they were 4 years ago when they had reached an all-time high. As a RealtorŪ I can safely say those prices were inflated beyond their intrinsic value. They have now come down to somewhere near what seems "normal", but may have a little bit more to drop.

My perception of the "intrinsic" value is based on what the wages are for the area I live in. Because of lower prices, our area became a "bedroom community" for people working in NYC & No NJ where wages are higher. Those who are locally employed have been hit hard by the influx of commuters driving up prices. In upper-end price ranges I have seen homes losing 25% of their value of 4 years ago.

Since I purchased my home 20 years ago, it is worth more now than it was when I bought it ... but it is worth less than if I had sold it 4 years ago. It's market value is probably 10% to 15% less than it was 4 years ago.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    One could say the same for housing values in my area. Houses today cost more here than the same house would have cost 25 years ago. The same is probably true of almost any area except some inner cities that have decayed over time.

HOWEVER ... prices here have decreased from what they were 4 years ago when they had reached an all-time high. As a RealtorŪ I can safely say those prices were inflated beyond their intrinsic value. They have now come down to somewhere near what seems "normal", but may have a little bit more to drop.

My perception of the "intrinsic" value is based on what the wages are for the area I live in. Because of lower prices, our area became a "bedroom community" for people working in NYC & No NJ where wages are higher. Those who are locally employed have been hit hard by the influx of commuters driving up prices. In upper-end price ranges I have seen homes losing 25% of their value of 4 years ago.

Since I purchased my home 20 years ago, it is worth more now than it was when I bought it ... but it is worth less than if I had sold it 4 years ago. It's market value is probably 10% to 15% less than it was 4 years ago.
    Housing here today is worth more than it did 4 years ago. The only year home values where flat was in 09. Sales tax for the parish(county) set a record last year and it will be exceeded in 2012. WE attribute it to the oil and medical economy that are huge employers in our market. Over 600 oil related buisnesses and the most hospital rooms and doctors per capta in the south.

Oil related businesses have to recruit in other areas to find workers, same for medical. Less than 5% unemployment. Been this way since the early 90's.

Folks got a little nervious last year when the administration wasn't issuing drilling permits for the gulf. Now, the drilling permits are flowing out of DC.
    Last edited by Franco; 09-06-2012 at 10:53 PM.
    Collecting more taxes than is absolutely necessary is legalized robbery. Calvin Coolidge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    You need to vote for Obama then if you think he had anything to do with it.
    Mr. Davis. Why so much animosity? Have you thought about seeing a shrink? I think you have some anger issues. You really need to relax a little. Why do you have such hatred for a man you don't even know? If life has dealt you lemons during the Obama years, smile and make some lemonade. Also, maybe take a remedial reading class to better your comprehension. If you read the last line of my post, it clearly states, "probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago." I just had bad luck during the Bush administration, and have had good luck during the Obama administration. I don't think it has anything to do with who was or is president, just timing of the way things played out.
    Last edited by murral stark; 09-06-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    Mr. Davis. Why so much animosity? Have you thought about seeing a shrink? I think you have some anger issues. You really need to relax a little. Why do you have such hatred for a man you don't even know? If life has dealt you lemons during the Obama years, smile and make some lemonade. Also, maybe take a remedial reading class to better your comprehension. If you read the last line of my post, it clearly states, "probably coincidence, but I can honestly say that I am better off now than 4 years ago." I just had bad luck during the Bush administration, and have had good luck during the Obama administration. I don't think it has anything to do with who was or is president, just timing of the way things played out.
    Relax... the topic of the thread is are you better off than four years ago? It's all about the election... Most people who can answer in the affirmative will be Obama supporter's and vice versa... or most who think the country is better off or not will choose accordingly.

If you can't handle the heat....
    Bill Davis

Can absolutely say that I am NOT better off than four years ago, but can't lay the blame directly at Obama's feet. Photography is a bit of a luxury item and when the economy is down, and especially when people have little hope, photography is not the first thing on most people's minds. Gasoline is also just eating me alive.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I'm happy for you. You are one of the lucky ones. 23.5 million unemployed Americans unfortunately can't say the same...
    I am the same as Murral. Four years a go I worked for a company for 19 years, came into work one day and was laid off. I just had eye surgery so my face was black and blue so I couldn't even go on job interviews. I also worked in a limited field so I completed a lot of job applications and was able to find a job at 50% of what I was making before.

I worked hard for that. Cut corners, took the train to work,adding hours to my commute so I didn't have to use my car and pay for gas. I got raises and worked hard. I continued to network in my field and last year finally found a job doing what I was trained to do.

So yes there are many people who are better off now than four years ago but many people here don't want to listen to that.

The stock market is a house of cards and soon after the election the crooks on Wall St will be selling to reap their profits from the suckers. There is no way you can have a sound economy and 1% interest rates!
    This isn't directed towards you but there are a lot of people who are making a ton of money both Reps and Dems.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    I am the same as Murral. Four years a go I worked for a company for 19 years, came into work one day and was laid off. I just had eye surgery so my face was black and blue so I couldn't even go on job interviews. I also worked in a limited field so I completed a lot of job applications and was able to find a job at 50% of what I was making before.

I worked hard for that. Cut corners, took the train to work,adding hours to my commute so I didn't have to use my car and pay for gas. I got raises and worked hard. I continued to network in my field and last year finally found a job doing what I was trained to do.

So yes there are many people who are better off now than four years ago but many people here don't want to listen to that.

This isn't directed towards you but there are a lot of people who are making a ton of money both Reps and Dems.
    You are better off because of your own hard work and initiative. Unless there is something you didn't say in your post, the government didn't do it for you. Congrats to you! I love hearing success stories like yours. I think you may be a closet conservative
    Bill Davis

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

NO!! not better off
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com