The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just Exactly What Is The difference...

Good one, when you lose the argument make adverse comments about the person who made them.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PamK View Post
    Good one, when you lose the argument make adverse comments about the person who made them.
    If you had a better idea about Mikey you would understand why the answer was given. He states a lot of big things but writes like a third grader or worse. It is hard to believe someone stating he does big business when he can't put two words together with good grammar and spelling. Of course that might be why he use to work for those folks.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    Big difference in the methodology. Brookshire buys companies they believe will be long-term good holds...while Bain has a short term plan. Bain looks to find value created by inefficiencies while Brookshire like to create value by supporting its portfolio companies. Big difference...I have done business with both. I like the Brookshire types because they do not over-leverage the company to make their equity go further...while the Bain types leverage up and if they break to the leverage they make out by prividing the DIP financing.
    Things like this...

Brookshire's is a grocery chain in texas!

BERKshire HATHaway is W.B....and..... Staples and Lowe's are not short term investements. (Bain Capital)

Make people think things like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    If you had a better idea about Mikey you would understand why the answer was given. He states a lot of big things but writes like a third grader or worse. It is hard to believe someone stating he does big business when he can't put two words together with good grammar and spelling. Of course that might be why he use to work for those folks.

Richard
    just sayin.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    Things like this...

Brookshire's is a grocery chain in texas!

BERKshire HATHaway is W.B....and..... Staples and Lowe's are not short term investements. (Bain Capital)

Make people think things like this...

just sayin.
    Beat me to it.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

Quote Originally Posted by M&K's Retrievers View Post
    ...between Bain Capital and Berkshire Hathaway?
    BRK operates as a hybrid sort of mutual fund where large pieces or entire small companies are bought using the tax laws to pay as little as possible. I have been on the receiving end of a buyout where WB screwed the minority shareholders ( Patrick Johndrow aptly described Buffet in a thread many moons ago), or buys huge stakes in industries that he believes demographics & politics favor (such as his support for BHO's Keystone pipeline decision) BN will train a lot of NG & oil if there is no pipeline & these kind of decisions favor monopolists, BRK also gets into distressed companies on very favorable terms so he is not a good guy, just usually screws the middle class folks.

Bain puts together a fund for a specific purpose - folks commit their money for a minimum period of time - that money usually comes from retirement funds that go back into the economy through the little guys pensions - they buy companies ready for a turnaround - Onerous contracts or a high level of debt are 2 of the most obvious reasons.

Bain receives a management fee + a % of the profit when the fund is liquidated. Bain just happened to be more successful.

IMO - Buffett is grossly overrated though I have looked long & hard at many of the same stocks he has bought - we owned the billfold stock & still do that he gave away as a tip in the auction.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!