The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thunder 100 Shotgun Simulator & Dummy Launcher

Default Thunder 100 Shotgun Simulator & Dummy Launcher

What are your thoughts on the Thunder 100's to be used in place of a popper gun for picnic and licensed hunt tests? A club member brought one of these to our picnic and from a safety standpoint, I really liked it. The initial purchase is obviously much more expensive than popper guns and poppers, but if they are reliable long term, it would not take too long to become more economical than popper guns and poppers. Do any of you have one? How do you like it? What are the pro's and con's you see or think? Thanks
    TRAVIS SKEEN

The only "negative" would be a slight delay as opposed to just pulling the trigger on a pop gun. I personally feel the positives outweigh this "negative" by a long shot. It's a no brainer for me.

They were recently used at an Amateur stake, and the gallery never knew until the series was over.

I used one for the last 4 days, the sound was excellent, but the "trigger mechanism/button " is a PITA and very unreliable, the strap needs a pad to stay in place on your shoulder...I did not use it to launch any dummies...I did not like the price when I asked about it..but for areas where a shotgun is not an option or a starter pistol doesnt have enough pop, the simulator is the way to go
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    I used one for the last 4 days, the sound was excellent, but the "trigger mechanism/button " is a PITA and very unreliable, the strap needs a pad to stay in place on your shoulder...I did not use it to launch any dummies...I did not like the price when I asked about it..but for areas where a shotgun is not an option or a starter pistol doesnt have enough pop, the simulator is the way to go
    As for the cost-- If you factor in what popers cost it doesn't take very long to pay for the unit.
    At $10 for a box of popers your looking at 40 boxes to equal the cost of the Thunder 100 plus 2 cans of Mapp gas. So after 1000 shots the unit is paid for plus you still have around 200 free shots coming. Anything after the first 1000 shot is going to run you about a penny a shot vs .40 cents a shot for a poper load. And I'm assuming that the poper gun was free.
    Plus the safty factor- All of my children help me train-13,11, and 6 years old. I feel better with them in the field with a T100 than a poper gun.
    Joe
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

I love mine, my only complaint is that people keep dropping it on the ground and jarring the Map gas can sideways. It is screwed to the back with no support to keep the can from breaking off! For about $400.00 that shouldn't be a concern. It sounds like a shotgun, but costs about as much as a primer pistol to operate. It's awesome!

Joe

One of my training partners has had two of them, one died and he replaced if. I can't make them work very often and he has trouble also. My Gun X has never had a misfire.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Does anyone have any further reviews on these lately? Our club may be faced with a situation that we may need to switch to something like this instead of popper guns. I would like to hear further reviews or of any improvements made if any. Thanks
    TRAVIS SKEEN

Quote Originally Posted by tshuntin View Post
    Does anyone have any further reviews on these lately? Our club may be faced with a situation that we may need to switch to something like this instead of popper guns. I would like to hear further reviews or of any improvements made if any. Thanks
    I think the reviews are good so far. They cost less to operate and are much safer than popper guns.
    Joe
    Joe Dutro

Oakwood's Dora Duky Desire MH- (Dora) 3/3/03- 3/16/11
    Desire's Midnight Rose SH- (Rose) 1/29/08
    Desire's Big Launch MH (Rocket) 9/29/09
    Desire's Pine Ridge Lonesome Gus MH (Gus) 9/29/09

I don't own one but used a handfull of them for several days. The sound was good but inconsistant, the bird boys at times struggled to get them going. Good idea but untill they prefect it some more I'll stick with my 870 and poppers/primers.