RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Any training places where I don't have to leave my puppy? (14wks old)

10K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Jamee Strange 
#1 ·
Not new to dogs, but new to prepping a hunting retriever. We have a 14-week golden retriever who we have started training at home but we would like to find a place (near Houston) to get her additional hunting-focused training. She is quite the quick learner (sitting, bumper-fetching, laying down, crawling, etc.) - we work with her daily and she's a little sweetheart!

We don't want to send her away for training - we'd like to TAKE her to training... is that common? I'm not sure if the regular run-of-the-mill general puppy classes will be worthwhile since we are doing all of that at home already... would like to keep progressing. Does anyone know of someone near Houston that provides this type of thing (training without boarding)?

#2 ·
Day training lessons are available from some trainers but I think it would not be the way to go. There are lots of reasons for this:
1. The cost of a single lesson will most likely exceed a monthly fee divided by 24 days (assuming six days a week training). Why is this....because you will demand more of the trainers time than if he were training the dog in a boarding situation. For example: I had a client take his dog home after a period of boarding/training. I told him he could come back anytime and I would help him. He showed up several times but wanted me to spend a lot of time with just him (1 1/2 hours). So, I told him daily lessons would be $25. I never heard from him again.
2. There will be a significant loss of continuity in training the dog and the trainer will not be able to control the training envirnoment.
3. The trainer will not have an opportunity to bond with the dog.
4. Some of the training situations will require discipline and you probably shouldn't watch it. I am not suggesting a trainer will be cruel but force fetch and collar conditioning are not fun for any dog.

For the above reasons I wouldn't take the dog on under the situations you describe.

#3 ·
I understand but I don't understand why the bond between the dog and the trainer is more important than the dog and the owners. She will be spending the rest of her life with us so we need to be able to continue the training, right? If she goes away to train then we don't know how to continue the training. The cost is not as important as doing it the "right way" for US (our dog as well as the rest of our family). For some dogs, I can certainly see that a boarding/training arrangement would be better - but I have a hard time thinking that it would apply across the board to all dogs. I may be wrong but down here, there are alot of labs used for hunting (and not many goldens) - my understanding is that labs are harder to training and often require a harsher discipline regimen...I'm a little apprehensive in having a training who only trains labs because I see labs and goldens as having different personalities/work ethic. Is my understanding wrong?

Why wouldn't we just buy a dog that was 9 months old then who already went through training? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm just trying to understand because it doesn't make sense. She will not be a strictly hunting dog (but we do alot of hunting) - she will be a member of our family. I guess its similar to sending kids to boarding school - it works for some...I just don't see it working for my family.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes , I think you may have some misconceptions. Train yourself how to and train your own dog, or have someone else do it. Its up to you completely. The typical setup for a training is this: At home, pup gets fun teaching OB, lots of fun adventure, and fun teaching retrieves up(always leave em wantig more) to 5 or 6 months old. At 5/6 months old(depending on maturity), begins more "formal" training(home trained or with pro) with increasing expecatations. If you can find a full trained retriever at 9 months old, I can't even imagine the price tag.;) Discipline is never heavy handed by a good trainer, even if it is a hard-headed lab and most are far from that. On the bonding topic, that was in reference to the trainer and dog bond. A trainer wants to be able to gain the confidence of the dog. The beauty of a dog is thier ability to bond and they can with more than one person usually, just like your family with the dog.

#4 ·
Of course you can learn to train your own dog, and might I add, have a blast doing it! You may not earn any major titles or win any field trials just because your learning will take longer than the dog's would at a pros. But from the very beginning I started doing this in order to spend quality time with my dogs and learn as much as I could. Join a retriever club in your area, meet folks with experience and plan on working with your dog daily and and take him out for field marks with the group as often as possible. Go to seminars and watch videos. Spend a few "paid" days with a local pro and learn some techniques and a progression plan. Doing it myself has taken me places I never would have known and introduced me to lifelong friends. I have enjoyed my dogs so much more than I ever did with "just pets". If there are parts of training that you are just not comfortable with, then send them to a pro for that specific service. Go for it and you will never look back! Have fun!

#5 ·
2Tall: That's what our plan is mostly - I view a paid trainer as a supplement since we are not pros (more training us to train our dog - help to guide us in the right direction). I've been looking into the retriever clubs but from their websites, I'm not sure exactly how they work (are they more for adult dogs or is there a mix of inexperienced/puppies too?) - I've sent some emails out to get more information. My husband and I have been doing alot of reading and video-watching. For us, is more of not knowing what to do in unique situations (i.e. to correct behaviors, etc... for example, she fetches great in the hall but not looses focus easily outdoors - I try lots of different things but don't know what is the best way). We have tons of fun with her - and I love working with her! We look forward to bringing her duck hunting with us (eventually)

#6 ·
Maybe you should join a retriever club. They usually hold once a month training days, where you have the comraderie of other likeminded individuals. Everyoneshares what they know and help each other out. This might be the way for you to go about it. Unless you can find a trainer to help by lessons.

#7 ·
I am not a member of one currently, but it sounds like an HRC club would be perfect for you. Maybe someone here can provide her with the link to get in touch with someone in the Houston area? HRC is all about family, dogs (all ages), hunting and fun. No pressure, no formality, just a helpful friendly group of people who love dogs and ducks!

#8 ·
You can get started yourself with Hillman's "training a retriever puppy" DVD!

I was in your shoes not too long ago, this DVD got me started...I have done ok myself, with help of people on this forum and lots of local people that I met through the clubs.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I have , once a week train the trainer group retriever class....3-6clients who all get out in the field and throw for each other , while I guide them at the line, in the yard or what ever. I have two clients who have been with me 5 years , both are running MH , one dog is doing better than the other (and is out on injured leave, the dog) but the clients did all of the training. I did take the dog out of their hands, periodically ,like the critical day of ff, or on ftp but for all intents, they have trained the dogs themselves. Find a trainer who does day training.....

#12 ·
I think the biggest question is what are your goals for you and your dog.

I have had 4 Goldens and now I'm on to training a lab, Peyton, and her 9 week old daughter, Bindi. :D The lab has been so much easiler for me, so I think it all depends on the individual dog more than the breed between the two. (Two of my Goldens loved hunting the others didn't even want to get their feet wet in the rain...:rolleyes: Damn Fluffies)

I, like you wanted to do the training myself vs. sending her away to a trainer. I have gone for help with some aspects of training and for advice to a pro as well as members of this forum. That being said, my goal in the begining was to have a well behaved hunting companion, not a FC/AFC by the time she was two. Peyton was at that point by 11 months and has gone further then I ever though possible.

The next question you need to ask yourself, is how much time are you or can you put into the training? It sounds like you have the time and are willing to put in the work so I think what you are wanting to do is definately do-able. Just decide what your goals are, and like others have said, find like minded people for help... a HRC and you should be fine.

There are also a number of training programs you can look into on here that are meant for people wanting to train. (Smartworks, Total Retriever, etc.)

Good Luck,

Mark

#13 ·
Just to kind of dove tail on duckquilizer said...

If you were to find a pro that you were comfortable with and was relatively close, you could send the pup to them at around 6 months old. After about a month (pros usually like some time to let the pup settle in and get used to the routine of training) or so you go visit on Saturdays and/or Sundays. This allows you to see the progress your pup is making and, once at a point the pro is comfortable with, start handling your dog while the pro is there to train you to handle them correctly. This way the dog is getting trained on a daily basis so they make good progress and you are being trained on how to handle and continue the training of the dog once they leave training.

The pro that I used for basics has allowed me to come train with them basically anytime I wanted. I help set up, tear down, throw birds and sometimes get to handle some of his client dogs in exchange for me being able to handle my dog on his setups while he gives me tips and is there to help if I/we get into trouble. Based on what he see's and what we're working on, he then will often times teach me drills to work on or make other suggestions for what to work on, and how, while I'm training on my own.

It is invaluable for the dog and has been even more so for me. And you have nothing to worry about as far as bonding issues with your pup. They will settle right back into family/home life when they come back and you will have a happy, well behaved house dog for years to come.

#15 ·
I know a few people that are dedicated to training a dog for the first time and take once or twice a week lessons from a Pro and do the rest of the training on their own time. This isn't the fastest and most efficient or even best way to train a dog, but it is a good way to train the owners and teach them about training retrievers. By the way if you read the Mission Statement of most retriever clubs they say something about training retrievers to improve the retriever breeding stock and to promote conservation of waterfowl thru the use of trained retrievers. I have never read a Mission Statement that has said the pupose of the club was to put on tests or trials.

#17 ·
I got my puppy from a member of this forum (Maple Hills - Leslie B.) - she is from Sam & Ruby's recent litter. HNTFSH, I have no intentions of becoming a professional trainer...nor doing field tests, etc. - I was just inquiring as to if anyone knew of alternatives to the traditional - send-my-dog-away-for-months-training. I never presupposed that the way I am seeking is the more effective way or the most acceptable way in the eyes of the majority. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I've been hunting with plenty of dogs who were sent away to professional trainers - and unfortunately there have been plenty of bad experiences due to the owner not knowing how to control/manage/use their well-trained dog. I'm in no way trying to undervalue trainers - in fact I find them to be invaluable and that is why I posted originally - because I'd love to find one in my area that understands my goals and priorities. Some of you have provided me with referrals - and I hope to find one soon. :)

I truly appreciate the responses I received from open-minded people. I'm glad to hear there are others who have had success in not sending their dog away for training.

Perhaps I am overanalyzing, but it feels like there is some sort of undertone with some posters. I was not trying to insult anyone's methods - just seeking newbie advice - friendly advice. It seems as though many people on this board send their dogs away for training - and that's great. And as I've been told, there are many trainers on this board who will naturally advocate sending a dog away for training because thats how they make money. But it also appears that not everyone here chooses to send their dogs away- some choose to train on their own or with assistance. I have the time and the desire to work with my puppy daily (and have been thus far) - I'm educating myself (& no, I am not just some idiot - I have a BS and a JD - so I am capable of comprehending the basics) and reaching out for supplemental assistance. Most importantly (for us)...my dog enjoys her new family and our family enjoys her. Again, I appreciate the advice and hope I will find this website to be of value and not just a plethora of closed-minded opinions and passive insults to those who seek help. Most everyone who replied were very helpful (even with the "criticisms" or maybe just "wake up calls") - I understand that opinions will vary - and I hope the majority of posters on this site understand that as well.

And who knows, perhaps when my dog is older, I will feel differently - but I don't see any harm in trying.

By the way, for those of you who care... I'm proud of what my puppy has accomplished thus far (maybe I'm just a proud-mom with a bias) - she's doing 25yd+ land and water retrieves, she's got the majority of basic obedience down pat and she's even learned a few cute tricks. She's been great with exposure to gunfire at the skeet range, riding on a boat, etc.... and she's even successfully done a few "blind" retrieves (albeit short in distance - less than 20yds). She's my little genius (again, I'm just a proud-mama)! There's alot more to learn...but she is progressing wonderfully and hopefully, with the help of a local trainer, she will be on her way to "perfection" (at least in our eyes).

Thanks again for the replies and advice!

#22 · (Edited)
I got my puppy from a member of this forum (Maple Hills - Leslie B.) - she is from Sam & Ruby's recent litter. HNTFSH, I have no intentions of becoming a professional trainer...nor doing field tests, etc. - I was just inquiring as to if anyone knew of alternatives to the traditional - send-my-dog-away-for-months-training. I never presupposed that the way I am seeking is the more effective way or the most acceptable way in the eyes of the majority. I'm sure I'm not alone, but I've been hunting with plenty of dogs who were sent away to professional trainers - and unfortunately there have been plenty of bad experiences due to the owner not knowing how to control/manage/use their well-trained dog. I'm in no way trying to undervalue trainers - in fact I find them to be invaluable and that is why I posted originally - because I'd love to find one in my area that understands my goals and priorities. Some of you have provided me with referrals - and I hope to find one soon. :)

I truly appreciate the responses I received from open-minded people. I'm glad to hear there are others who have had success in not sending their dog away for training.

Perhaps I am overanalyzing, but it feels like there is some sort of undertone with some posters. I was not trying to insult anyone's methods - just seeking newbie advice - friendly advice. It seems as though many people on this board send their dogs away for training - and that's great. And as I've been told, there are many trainers on this board who will naturally advocate sending a dog away for training because thats how they make money. But it also appears that not everyone here chooses to send their dogs away- some choose to train on their own or with assistance. I have the time and the desire to work with my puppy daily (and have been thus far) - I'm educating myself (& no, I am not just some idiot - I have a BS and a JD - so I am capable of comprehending the basics) and reaching out for supplemental assistance. Most importantly (for us)...my dog enjoys her new family and our family enjoys her. Again, I appreciate the advice and hope I will find this website to be of value and not just a plethora of closed-minded opinions and passive insults to those who seek help. Most everyone who replied were very helpful (even with the "criticisms" or maybe just "wake up calls") - I understand that opinions will vary - and I hope the majority of posters on this site understand that as well.

And who knows, perhaps when my dog is older, I will feel differently - but I don't see any harm in trying.

By the way, for those of you who care... I'm proud of what my puppy has accomplished thus far (maybe I'm just a proud-mom with a bias) - she's doing 25yd+ land and water retrieves, she's got the majority of basic obedience down pat and she's even learned a few cute tricks. She's been great with exposure to gunfire at the skeet range, riding on a boat, etc.... and she's even successfully done a few "blind" retrieves (albeit short in distance - less than 20yds). She's my little genius (again, I'm just a proud-mama)! There's alot more to learn...but she is progressing wonderfully and hopefully, with the help of a local trainer, she will be on her way to "perfection" (at least in our eyes).

Thanks again for the replies and advice!
Keep in mind that you posted on a public forum. Ask and you shall recieve many opinions of well intending people, like them or not... Actually if you browse the RTF, you will find that the majority train thier own dogs and have A LOT of expirence as to what works/what does not. You will find people from all walks of life, from barely any "formal" education to worldly scholars(Sounds sketchy, but its true). I did not see where anyone said, "NO, you idea will not work or that you are an idiot", its just not ideal. This was from expirence and people trying to help you... Here is one last tidbit that will be very helpful, several pro trainers have made instructional DVDs. These DVDs are basically home study courses and show how to employ time and many dog tested methods. Many people here got thier start in training this way, myself included. I HIGHLY recommend that you look into some of these, since you sound like you want to train pup. Bill Hillman's Puppy DVD would be a great start. You do not have to have a goal of being a pro trainer or even a more than once trainer to give this a shot, although you will probably find yourself hooked in the end...

#19 ·
So KDZLAW what you want to do is train your own dog under the guidance of a pro and you don't mind paying the pro for their time? I kinda thought from your first post you wanted to take your dog to the pro and have him train the pup for an hour a day and then you would take the dog home.

#21 ·
Ok ...About 15 years ago,I held a "class on training your retriever " . had about 9 or 10 people in the first class. I do a Carr based program. After the orientation and demos in the first class,I could see that this was not going to be good.6 showed up for the second class.As it progressed,I started getting phone calls at night asking me why fido is doing this and that and what to do_Ok so I'm trying to comprehend what their dog is actually doing and trying to train over the phone.The homework is the biggest hurdle because the student has not learned how to read the dog,and some start to get mad and frustrated.Long story short ,the last three standing left me the dog and they ended up being very happy. Most trainers use the same type program,and it does not lend itself to being implemented easily by the inexperienced.Nowadays there are programs that one can get via videos and such that are broken down to do yourself ,and I guess they work.I hope this helps by having a perspective from a been there done it helperson .

#37 ·
that is probably my biggest apprehension with the self-training idea - homework. That's why I thought a regular training schedule (3-4 days a week for however long the trainer thinks is necessary) would be good because there would be some continuity and consistency - but I can't say that I wouldn't be one of those who would try it but may end up sending the dog with the trainer in the end. thank you for the perspective.

#26 · (Edited)
Sounds like you are determined to proceed on your own plan. So here is some advice:
Dogs need to be trained a minimun of four days per week but preferrably six days with one mental health day off.
You should be following a training program. The three most often talked about are:
1. Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy (a high percentage of pros use this method)
2. Smartworks by Evan Graham (a lot of first timers like this program)
3. Fowldogs by Rick Stawski
You will need lots of equipment (est. $6-10,000 min.)
1. Winger zingers with electronics
2. Bumperboy launchers
3. Ecollar
4. Holding blinds
5. Leads
6. Choke chains
7. Healing sticks
8. Stickmen
9. Lots of bumpers (two dozen with both orange and white)
9. Misc other things like an atv but not a must with one dog, boat, whistles.
10. Freezer space for birds (ducks, pigeons, pheasant, etc)
11. Pen for live pigeons
You will need access to large acreage with water for training. Parks won't do.

Yes the trainer will have these things but you will need to do the things you are taught on your own.

Most amateurs fall down because of the lack of training grounds, birds and a lack of understanding of the total training system. Thus the need for a training program to study and follow. Another major factor is time. I don't know if you have a job or not but if so, time will be at a premium.
Edit: Your are not looking at 15-20 min. per day but several hours per day. The training time per dog is probably only 30 minutes but you have to add the travel time, set up time, take down time, maintenance of equipment time, etc.
For mulitple dogs this decreases per dog but for one dog the time is as stated. Dog training is time intensive.

You will have to be able to go train with the trainer in the morning.

Good luck in your endeavors.

#27 ·
Sounds like you are determined to proceed on your own plan. So here is some advice:
Dogs need to be trained a minimun of four days per week but preferrably six days with one mental health day off.
You should be following a training program. The three most often talked about are:
1. Total Retriever Training by Mike Lardy (a high percentage of pros use this method)
2. Smartworks by Evan Graham (a lot of first timers like this program)
3. Fowldogs by Rick Stawski
You will need lots of equipment (est. $6-10,000 min.)
1. Winger zingers with electronics
2. Bumperboy launchers
3. Ecollar
4. Holding blinds
5. Leads
6. Choke chains
7. Healing sticks
8. Stickmen
9. Lots of bumpers (two dozen with both orange and white)
9. Misc other things like an atv but not a must with one dog, boat, whistles.
10. Freezer space for birds (ducks, pigeons, pheasant, etc)
11. Pen for live pigeons
You will need access to large acreage with water for training. Parks won't do.

Yes the trainer will have these things but you will need to do the things you are taught on your own.

Most amateurs fall down because of the lack of training grounds, birds and a lack of understanding of the total training system. Thus the need for a training program to study and follow. Another major factor is time. I don't know if you have a job or not but if so, time will be at a premium.

Good luck in your endeavors.
DANG IT WAYNE!!! I was trying not to estimate all the junk I've bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 ·
KDZLAW, I've looked at the posts 2x's. You've received good advice from good people. I've seen no undertone, you asked for advice and you got it. Get a program and follow it. Find a club. Go to a hunt test and watch. Meet people at the hunt test and ask questions, most people are more than willing to help out newbies, just like on this forum. Myself, I do all the basic OB, then send off for FF. I work with the same pro in a small training group weekly and work when I can during the week at home. As mentioned there is a progression of training that moves the dog along. Enjoy the ride

#29 · (Edited)
This is an interesting thread because so much of it sounds familiar to me. Basically kdzlaw is the owner of a new pet, has really fallen for it, knows that training it beyond her capapbility would be ideal, but just can’t imagine sending her sweet little pup away from home. Separation anxiety is a fear along with the concern that the pup might forget them and become attached to someone else, particularly if weeks turn into months of professional training.

I understand but I don't understand why the bond between the dog and the trainer is more important than the dog and the owner…. I guess it’s similar to sending kids to boarding school.
It’s just too much fun to come home from work to play with the pup to imagine sending it away. Sooooo, there has be another option to keep the dog close while still letting the pup grow up with some sort of deference to his stellar bloodline.

In recent months I went through all of the same emotions and training explorations. Got my pup, loved him, bought training videos, taught him many basic skills, read 2 training books, saw lots of potential in the little guy, talked over training options with many people, heard about as many saying DIY as professionally (“You wouldn’t let someone else train your child would you?,” I was asked) and had modest but hopeful hunting companion expectations for the eventual results just as kdzlaw.

No doubt the pro trainers here have heard this story many times.

So where am I now? My pup is 10 ½ months old and has been with a nearby trainer for 4 ½ months. I go see him as often as I’d like, work with him and trainers twice a week, and of late can bring him home for one or two-day weekends. The pup and I have an incredible bond, which if anything creates a minor training issue as it takes him a couple of minutes to calm down after I first see him before he accepts it’s time for him to work with me. Once past this, he performs extremely well.

She will be spending the rest of her life with us so we need to be able to continue the training, right? If she goes away to train then we don't know how to continue the training.
The obedience training methods my pup has learned are completely transferable between any handler. There are no unique voice commands the pup has to learn; no approach to doing things that only the trainer and the pup will know. Mostly it’s body language and a system that the trainer teaches me and all of the owners, something we all work on regularly. I can hand the leash to a child and have the child performing the basic obedience skills with the pup within minutes, and did so with a 10-year old girl just last week.

Top trainers have a gift of being able to see the nuances and mindset of a dog; they know when to push a dog and when to quit. They know to end a session on a positive note so the pup will be looking forward to more. They use the dog’s own desire to retrieve as a reward for doing good and are constantly looking to build up the pup’s confidence.

A pro can tell if a dog has been pushed too hard by someone else and how to correct the problems. They look at training a dog as a systematic process, with the most basic skills complimenting the more advanced ones through the weeks and months. They know the process, largely because they know the desired end product, and as a result, know the steps needed to get there.

I’ve seen dogs in our training group brought in with any number of problem issues and I’ve seen the trainer utilize some technique to correct the issues that left me amazed at how he knew to do such a thing. Clearly kdzlaw has her own life skills, but it’s unlikely that she has developed the approaches that most dogs in training will need over time that a top pro has accumulated.

And what will soon happen, kdzlaw, is that you’ll find yourself getting as excited in the process as you might find if you’ve ever custom built a house. The foundation is moderately exciting as at least you’re getting started, but once the framers show up and you see major changes every time you stop by, you’ll find yourself thrilled with the progress. Of course by the time the painters get there, you’ll wonder if they even came to work that day, but the fine tuning of a dog and the upkeep of a skill set are important.

You’ll soon take such pride in the progress of your pup that you’ll wonder how in the world you could have considered taking a short-cut approach. With just my bit of hindsight, I can see how his obedience skills carry directly over to his abilities in the field. I can see how FF, FTP, wagon wheel retrieves, working a “T” or double T, 250-300 yard marks, swim-bys, and honoring are there because of the systematic approaches that I would not have known or been able to personally teach. I have my own life each day, but each day I know my pup is building his skills and he’s ready to show them to me each time I slip out to see him.

The months and years that I have to look forward to with my pup are so promising as I know the foundation is in place. He’s still the sweet and loving pup he was when he was a little guy and still looks for a chance to sit in my lap at home—or even when driving down the road (he has a much better chance at the former); it’s just that I’ve seen the benefit of a top trainer and couldn’t be more pleased. How far I’d like to ultimately take this pup is up to me, but the whole process of getting my dog to where he is has been one of the most enjoyable things I’ve ever done, and I haven’t even gotten to the best part, which of course is enjoying my buddy in the field or blind.

Good luck, kdzlaw, with your decision process, but from having been in your shoes just a few months ago, if you reward yourself with a trainer, you have some great times headed your way.

#30 ·
Plenty of people do train their own dogs and do a good job. I think we all tend to be nervous when it's our first trained dog; we're terrified we're going to make mistakes and screw the dog up for life. In reality these are very forgiving animals and it's pretty hard to make a mistake so bad it can't be fixed. I send mine away because I prefer to have someone who's trained hundreds of dogs do the basics, and has the experience to deal with anything out of the ordinary, and also because a good foundation is so important. Yes it's hard to send Super Pup away to boot camp. This is why you need more than one dog!

#31 ·
Trust me when I say your dog will not forget you! We sold one of the dogs we raised in the house with us as an IDD Dog. My husband and I were both working with the company when he got back from his first deployment. He "had eyes" for the two of us no matter what was going on...it had been right at a year since I saw him. At the Christmas party, my kids came and it was VERY apparent he recognized them, his whole demeanor changed and was not "bouncing off the walls" like his normal self and it had been over a year since he had seen them. CONSISTENCY is a key factor when it comes to getting good, solid, training. Where he works now, my husband has a "day trainer" that is dropped off every day and leaves every afternoon. Guess what the only thing the dog looks forward to doing during the day...going home. The owner is paying MORE money for the day training versus leaving her and visiting several times a week and is getting MUCH slower progress than she would by leaving and visiting. Trust me when I say I love my dogs as much anybody...there are times that there's 3-4 sleeping in my bed with me at night, but until I learned how to handle and correct them the way they needed to be, (and married a trainer) my young dogs went to a pro. There are times that my current (trainer) husband and I have sent our dogs to a pro since he was out of town (and once out of country) a lot for his job. I haven't had it in me to FF/FTP my "babies" thus far, but will be trying on one in the near future. I don't mind doing the occasional corrections needed on a "finished" dog. To a degree, training for hunting and training for hunt tests are the SAME THING! Also, doing hunt tests gives you a "reason" to train and have your dog on par and a great way to keep your dog in shape year round.

#35 ·
Where he works now, my husband has a "day trainer" that is dropped off every day and leaves every afternoon. Guess what the only thing the dog looks forward to doing during the day...going home. The owner is paying MORE money for the day training versus leaving her and visiting several times a week and is getting MUCH slower progress than she would by leaving and visiting.
Very good point, Cedarswamp. Thank you.

#33 ·
Yes you do! I find that folks generally have really established the process of next steps when they ask a lot of questions about what they have gained from the internet advice.

When they don't have many...more often than not...most has not really been absorbed or considered.

Look forward to yours.

#36 ·
HNTFSH, I can come up with questions all day long - I'm not as closed-minded as you may think from my postings. I just have opinions...the same as you and everyone else (granted, my opinions are from a novice when it comes to dog training). And as I said before, just because I don't like the idea of sending her away now...doesn't mean I won't change my mind at some point. And again, I do appreciate all of the advice. And I apologize to the entire group as my tone perhaps may come across as defensive - but I am not...I just am a balls-to-the-walls kind of writer - I'm taking all the responses to heart as well as with a grain of salt (as is required when participating with any public forum). :)

Perhaps a stupid question...but how do boarding/training trainers work? (I know there are many different methods, but I am just looking for an average)
i.e. How many pups do they have at a time? Where are the pups kept (indoor/outdoors)? Do they train the dogs at set times? How much actual hands-on training is done on an average day? Would training dogs be kept with other dogs (if so, I'm guessing the dogs would have to be spayed/neutered prior to going off for training)? And if around other dogs, are they always supervised (to avoid overly-aggressive dogs, etc.) Or...Is a training dog kept isolated? Would a training dog be around other people (non-trainers/trainer's family/trainer's friends, etc.). Is a training dog taken away from the trainer's home for any reason? Most reputable trainers don't have a non-training "day job" or any other obligations, or do they? How is a training dog's day spent? (how many hours in a kennel, how many hours training, how many hours playing, how many hours just laying around)
What ages do most people send their dogs away? How long on average is a dog sent away for?
I've read that some trainers advocate shock collars, others don't...some use choke collars, some don't...some swear by force fetch, some don't.... -do trainers generally train according to what works for them or do they go down certain paths (i.e. shock collars, etc.) ONLY if it is necessary for the particular dog (I notice in videos/books - trainers seem to take one position or another). It can be controversial things or something seemingly minor: I recently came across a trainer that refuses to use orange bumpers and will only use white canvas ones (both because of color and material).
I can go on and on with questions but I fear it may be overload to read.

#45 · (Edited)
Perhaps a stupid question...but how do boarding/training trainers work? (I know there are many different methods, but I am just looking for an average)
i.e. How many pups do they have at a time? Where are the pups kept (indoor/outdoors)? Do they train the dogs at set times? How much actual hands-on training is done on an average day? Would training dogs be kept with other dogs (if so, I'm guessing the dogs would have to be spayed/neutered prior to going off for training)? And if around other dogs, are they always supervised (to avoid overly-aggressive dogs, etc.) Or...Is a training dog kept isolated? Would a training dog be around other people (non-trainers/trainer's family/trainer's friends, etc.). Is a training dog taken away from the trainer's home for any reason? Most reputable trainers don't have a non-training "day job" or any other obligations, or do they? How is a training dog's day spent? (how many hours in a kennel, how many hours training, how many hours playing, how many hours just laying around)
What ages do most people send their dogs away? How long on average is a dog sent away for?
I've read that some trainers advocate shock collars, others don't...some use choke collars, some don't...some swear by force fetch, some don't.... -do trainers generally train according to what works for them or do they go down certain paths (i.e. shock collars, etc.) ONLY if it is necessary for the particular dog (I notice in videos/books - trainers seem to take one position or another). It can be controversial things or something seemingly minor: I recently came across a trainer that refuses to use orange bumpers and will only use white canvas ones (both because of color and material).
I can go on and on with questions but I fear it may be overload to read.
Look here’s the deal.
Generally speaking:
Trainers who use E-collars and Pinch collars are desirable in today's retriever training world. Don’t send your dog do anyone who says he only uses cloth dummies and doesn't use an e-collar. Unless you intend to send your dog to England. Take advice from old timers here on RTF vs what you think you know. Trainers with a depth of field trial or hunt test accomplishments are more desirable than those without. Many good ones near Houston. Choose those recommend here on RTF vs others you might hear about.

To your 50 questions……..

Dogs enter formal training with a professional at 6 months of age more or less depending on maturity.
Owners are expected to prepare their puppy by doing the proper training from 8 weeks to 6 months. At times a trainer may take a baby puppy to raise for a client in his home until it’s ready for formal training.
Most people who send their young dog off to private school leave them there for the duration, don’t mess with them, don’t bring them home for the weekend or dumb stuff like that. The do however participate in their dogs training at the appropriate times. Very few dogs in training are ever spayed or neutered. It ain't doggie daycare.
A professional working on his own without an assistant may have 12 to 20 dogs in training.
A professional who has a capable young dog assistant may have twice as many dogs.
Dogs live in a typical professional boarding kennel environment when they are not training. Facilities differ by trainer and part of the country.
Dogs get feed, aired, loaded on dog truck at dawn each morning for the days training. They’ll have water throughout the day. At the end of the day dogs get fed, aired around sunset and are kenneled for the night. If on the road away from home dogs spend the night in their hole on the truck. Many trainers train 6 days a week but work 7.
It takes about a year of training to get a dog through what is typically called the Transition stage, advanced work follows and continues for the dog’s life. Essentially daily training never stops until the dog is retired.
Dogs are exposed to people who work for the pro and the clients who come out to train with him, that’s it unless they go to an event. No one other than the pro or his assistant mess with the dogs. Sometimes a client may be asked to handle some of the other dogs in training to gain experience.
Dogs are always supervised when not on truck or in kennel. Typically a group of dogs are aired together and trainer may have dogs separated into several groups to minimize males exposure to bitches and to separate dogs who may get into each other.
Each training day is different but typically 2, 3 even 4 “setups” may be done each day with each dog getting his turn on each setup then goes back on the truck and trainer grabs another dog rinse and repeat. If trainer has mix of young and old dogs he may work puppies first on yard work or drills and other stuff then head out for the day with the big dogs. Typically pros have numerous properties they borrow to train on other than their own home grounds and may drive a good distance to get to them on occasion. Many pros travel to avoid the heat of summer and cold of winter. Pros in Texas move to states near the Canadian border during the summer and pros from the north come to Texas in the winter. Your dog would travel as well. Basically a competent pro will give the dogs more work than you could imagine possible right now. They’ll see plenty of work, eat and sleep good.
Look at sending your dog to a professional like sending your kid to a boarding prep school.

#40 ·
Depending on what part of Houston you live in there are a number of retriever clubs in the area. If I were you that is where I would start. If you will let me know what part of town you are in, I can direct you towards a club. There is Tejas (AKC & HRC), Brazosport (AKC), Houston Greater Golden (AKC), Southeast Texas (HRC) and Colorado River (HRC). These clubs are all over the Houston area so I am sure one is close to you.

And someone mentioned in an earlier post about getting either Bill Hillmann's - Training a Retriever Puppy or Jackie Mertens - Sound Beginnings. Either will give you alot of information to start your pup off in the right direction.

Janet

#41 · (Edited)
I think you are way overthinking and overcomplicating this whole process.

1) it's a dog
2) the dog doesn't know what you don't know.
3) 1 reason labs and goldens are used/ bred for this is because of their forgiving nature, for the most part.
4) If you make a mistake while training the dog will forgive you and move forward
5) Training a dog to be a usefull hunter is not as hard as you are making it out to be. they may not win a competition but they will hunt and you will enjoy hunting with them.
6) spend a few bucks, buy a few books and videos. Pick one that you like. Start training.
7) you dont need $10k worth of equipment, some bumpers, heel stick, leads and chains. You dont need launchers - people can throw bumpers, that why we have arms.

#42 ·
Like, Like

I liked it twice since I needed more characters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.