The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dog takes off before I finish cast...or perhaps barely start cast

In the second clip I have backed up to the other side of Shrub Island. The dog has to run through the cover to get to the pile. All is well I think.

Renee P

In the last clip I have backed up even further. She was looking around so I said "dead bird" but I muttered!

1. Initially dog takes a pretty straight line, then starts veering around Shrub Island to get to the pile.
    2. I stop her and about a second later gave her an angle back and got a scallop (?)---she turned correctly but continued in her wrong direction. Although you cannot see me, you can see the dog start to sit and then start to move again about a half second later in response to my cast!
    3. Then, I tell her to sit again but before she has had a chance to sit I am telling her "here" already.
    4. Then I remember: SLOW DOWN. I counted to five (but I see on the video it is more like I counted to 3), recast, and got the change of direction but now she is trying to run around Shrub Island the other way.

The video ends here (I got closer to her, and got the cast through the shrub).

Also I noticed her last two sits are slow, and on another day I might have nicked her, but after watching the video I think my fast casting is causing this: she is used to being given another command before she has time to actually sit.

Anyway, this is the dog work. I am terrible but not as terrible as I used to be...
    Renee P

OK I'm having difficulty seeing the videos. I'll comment further when I see them.
    First of all.....
    Video 2
    Why are you saying good? Get your whistle in you mouth.
    Video 3
    Why are you yelling "Sit" to your dog? One toot on the whistle would be used for sit.

I think you need some how to instruction. More later.

Hopefully dog knows the sit whistle already. For now stop talking to your dog on the blinds except for the initial dead bird que and back. After that whistle only.
    Save any "good" stuff for when the dog is coming back.
    Last edited by Breck; 09-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    OK I'm having difficulty seeing the videos. I'll comment further when I see them.
    First of all.....
    Video 2
    Why are you saying good? Get your whistle in you mouth.
    Because she went through instead of around the cover. It wasn't a blind, it was a lesson about learning to go through cover. She is running to a pile.

I was taught to give the dog praise when it gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Video 3
    Why are you yelling "Sit" to your dog? One toot on the whistle would be used for sit.
    She knows the whistle but I do not know how to see to record on the phone with a whistle in my mouth.

But what's wrong with voice anyways? She is only a few yards in front of me.

Yes, I need instruction...

(Oh, and I'm not yelling. The phone is inches from my mouth...can you imagine if I HAD used a whistle?)
    Last edited by mitty; 09-11-2012 at 05:35 PM.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Thanks, Breck.

This afternoon I did a little 8-handed casting with her in my tiny yard and we did pretty good...I wasn't able to do much else today.

I need casting lessons. Someone could make a whole training DVD on how to move arms, hold hands together, set the pace, etc.

Thanks all, I will try for a video, but if that doesn't pan out I have more clues about what I need to pay attention to, and some drills to learn.
    I noticed someone else mentioned practice your casting in front of a mirror... just tell them you are doing stretching exercises if they walk in while you are practicing your casting .....LOL... The new training DVDs are great, but there's still something to be said for the "old school", i.e. in person with someone who can critique your movements. I remember a field trial pro standing behind me telling me I looked like frankenstein and a clumsy lumberjack on the line..and calling me a helicopter because I kept forgetting to bring my hands back in front in "prayer" after I gave each cast...
    Last edited by frontier; 09-11-2012 at 05:49 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

OK a No No Drill.
    I didn't mean you were actually yelling. A verbal Sit is best reserved for when you need to correct the dog as in "Sit G@# Da*%#". Come to line with whistle in mouth all the time.

See if you can get someone to shoot a vid or two from behind of you running a few 100 yd cold blinds keeping both you and dog in frame.
    From what little I saw so for it appears that your little dog will be very cooperative with what ever you need to do.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

From what little I saw so for it appears that your little dog will be very cooperative with what ever you need to do.
    I agree, nice compliant dog.

Now, once we have you whipped into shape you two will become a good team.

PS. Use a whistle.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    ... The new training DVDs are great, but there's still something to be said for the "old school", i.e. in person with someone who can critique your movements. I remember a field trial pro standing behind me telling me I looked like frankenstein and a clumsy lumberjack on the line..and calling me a helicopter because I kept forgetting to bring my hands back in front in "prayer" after I gave each cast...

Here ya go Renee. Come back up and we'll run a boat load of blinds and I'll even bring extra dogs for you to practice on, and I'll be behind you with a heeling stick.

I don't get the whistle vs voice thing. In the house, at work or on walks through the neighborhood I do not whip out my whistle to give commands to the dog. Sometimes I train places where the whistle is inappropriate, like at 6 am in a small park surrounded by homes, so I use voice.

In a recent thread someone said something about it being bad to use voice in an event, I think a HT, to handle dog. That puzzled me.

Anyhoo, and Gooser I think can relate to this, a few months ago I was reprimanded for blowing the bejesus out of the whistle every time I used it...I didn't realize I did this, I suspect it goes with the doing-everything-too-fast dog handler persona. So that is also on my list of things to concentrate on during blind work.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    Here ya go Renee. Come back up and we'll run a boat load of blinds and I'll even bring extra dogs for you to practice on, and I'll be behind you with a heeling stick.
    I'm going to Picabo this weekend (you shoulda entered), and then I will see you at Georgetown...maybe the next weekend.

I promise the healing stick will not be necessary.
    Last edited by mitty; 09-12-2012 at 07:01 AM.
    Renee P