The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Dog takes off before I finish cast...or perhaps barely start cast

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    For one thing the whistle is soooo much easier to use than the voice and the dog responds to it much better too.
    Have you noticed how many people have complimented Anna? Although Gooser keeps callin her a him. I have told you that since she was a little one. She has taught you a lot and will teach you a lot more. As you learn to understand her and why she is doing what she is doing she will teach more than all the goobers on this forum. I will look forward to more training days. I like helping you because you try really hard and are serious about learning just like a new puppy with lots of promise. You and Anna are a good fit.
    Anytime there is a discussion about a dog that the handler decides is unruly, wont train or is just downright obnoxious... Gooser defaults the dogs gender to "Him"... Its just usually the way it is.. Little girls are angles....

Mitty,, I's not sure,, but I believe the comment about Goobers on the board,, was another sunbliminalistccal comment pointed towards me..

Anybody that has been on this board for very long should know derned well to take anything I say with a grain or ounce of Chivas.
    I usually say alot.. So readin the board becomes a party if you follow the above advice. much more entertaining.
    ;0
    Gooser
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 09-13-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Yes Gooser that was a jab at you but all on fin cuz you'z has a cents of humor. All jokin aside you and others are giving good advice e here. Good thread

Just an update, I think slowing down has helped tremendously. I edited the OP with more details.

Much thanks, all!
    Renee P

Faced this one myself. Finally figured out he was going on first movement when I would just twitch my hand and he would take off, obviously just guessing.

I started even moving my hands slower when making the cast and calling him back when he would take off before he could have known what the cast was. After a few days (maybe 2-3) of this, when he was waiting for the entire cast most of the time and going where I cast him about 90% of the time, I started slipping in a hand twitch again to see if he would take off, using indirect pressure (sit-nick) when he did so.

He is mostly cured, but I suspect this will be an issue of lifelong maintenance for us since he has so much go in him.

I've enjoyed this thread, because I had (have) some of the same problems, and I've been working on them for the past year. Dog and I have both improved. Have to add though, take Mr. Shaver up on his offer. There's just nothing better than getting instant feedback from someone standing behind you, watching you cast your dog. Even if it kind of knocks the wind out of your sails because you've really been trying and think you're doing it correctly...
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    Anytime there is a discussion about a dog that the handler decides is unruly, wont train or is just downright obnoxious... Gooser defaults the dogs gender to "Him"... Its just usually the way it is.. Little girls are angles....

Mitty,, I's not sure,, but I believe the comment about Goobers on the board,, was another sunbliminalistccal comment pointed towards me..

Anybody that has been on this board for very long should know derned well to take anything I say with a grain or ounce of Chivas.
    I usually say alot.. So readin the board becomes a party if you follow the above advice. much more entertaining.
    ;0
    Gooser
    Perhaps she has misplaced her halo.

Last edited by mitty; 11-07-2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: reduced img size
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by Julie R. View Post
    I've enjoyed this thread, because I had (have) some of the same problems, and I've been working on them for the past year. Dog and I have both improved. Have to add though, take Mr. Shaver up on his offer. There's just nothing better than getting instant feedback from someone standing behind you, watching you cast your dog. Even if it kind of knocks the wind out of your sails because you've really been trying and think you're doing it correctly...
    Steve Shaver is a great help. Prolly time to think about making the long haul up that way for a day, but I need a whole day off.
    Renee P

I had the same issues. I needed to slow down. I still have to remind myself often.