The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 109 of 152 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1519

Thread: College Football 2012 GDG

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    Your historical precedent argument only works when the game is static. Comparing today's fast break no huddle offenses to anything more than a few years back is meaningless. 1978?... really, why not keep going past the I, past the wishbone, past the T formation to the single wing which much more resembles what we see today than any other predecessors.
    Even in the pro's .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    I think I am starting to understand why LSU underachieved for so much of its history.

This is definitely not how either Alabama or ND are typically set up.

For historical reference, we weren't supposed to be able to score against LSU in January (in Louisiana!) and we did. Texas had some kind of otherworldly run defense in 2009, and we had 2 100-yard rushers. Miami was supposed to shut us down in 1992, and we ran pretty good on them. All the way back to Penn State in 1979 (1978 season) with Matt Millen and Bruce Clark on the DL and allowing less than 60 yards rushing per game, and that came out OK too.

It may turn out differently in January. ND is obviously doing something right. We will
    see. ND has a great coaching staff and they will be ready to play, but I would not bet against our staff with this much prep time.

Should be a heck of a game.
    You can't run when you have 8 & 9 people in the box. You have to loosen the D up.
    Last edited by Jacob Hawkes; 12-06-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Now someone has posted the Tennessee coaching job on Craigslist, good to see they get a sense of humor

http://www.lostlettermen.com/ad-for-...medium=twitter
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

I think I am starting to understand why LSU underachieved for so much of its history.

Where were you from 1992 to 2009?

So easy to talk trash now with a little success eh? My how quick we forget.

For historical reference, we weren't supposed to be able to score against LSU in January (in Louisiana!) and we did.
    Only an idiot would say or believe something so stupid. I don't think your an idiot so why post such ridiculous non-sense?

Texas had some kind of otherworldly run defense in 2009,
    Really? in a Conference that doesn't RUSH and leads the nation in passing year in and and year out? What's Rush Defense in the Big 12?

Miami was supposed to shut us down in 1992,
    Wait you skipped from 2009 to 1992 again? What was going on in that 17 years?

Look this whole playing it low then slamming it home by making some of these silly statements like "Supposedly Bama wasn't going to score in Louisiana BUT WE DID) is pointless. I mean really? Are you making this stuff up?

Your historical precedent argument only works when the game is static. Comparing today's fast break no huddle offenses to anything more than a few years back is meaningless. 1978?... really, why not keep going past the I, past the wishbone, past the T formation to the single wing which much more resembles what we see today than any other predecessors.
    How dare you attempt to talk about the current ERA of Football. Were you not here a few weeks ago when some of these guys lost their minds that I would consider the 14 Year BCS time span as the current ERA in Football? ...sigh...

/

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Now someone has posted the Tennessee coaching job on Craigslist, good to see they get a sense of humor

http://www.lostlettermen.com/ad-for-...medium=twitter

Maybe they should do a hailcall to Phil Fulmer
    "Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat. Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them." Charles Barkley

The point is that Alabama has heard this and faced similar things before. Does the fact that a lot of teams ran out of the Wishbone in 1978 make Penn State's 54 YPG rushing (before the Sugar Bowl that year) more impressive or less? Bama ran for 208 that game, against a team with the Lombardi winner on the DL and Matt Millen.

Jacob, go back and read my post about ND wanting to sit in a 2-high safety look and control the run game with no more than 6-7 folks in the box. When the running game starts to become effective, and then we have 8-9 folks in the box, I think Alabama has shown what they are willing to do then. Like the play-action TD against GA.

But it all started with pounding the ball and forcing GA to commit more players to the run and put their CBs in single coverage. If we have much success against ND, that's pretty close to how it will happen as well, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Hawkes View Post
    You can't run when you have 8 & 9 people in the box. You have to loosen the D up.

Dustin, per LSU's records you might not want to do a whole lot of talking about 1992-2009 either, and particularly before 2003.

A quick look at records and finishes will show you that LSU finished the season unranked in the AP and Coach's polls 7 times from 1992 - 2003. Maybe we should both just agree not to talk about that period.

Jacob, go back and read my post about ND wanting to sit in a 2-high safety look and control the run game with no more than 6-7 folks in the box. When the running game starts to become effective, and then we have 8-9 folks in the box, I think Alabama has shown what they are willing to do then. Like the play-action TD against GA.

But it all started with pounding the ball and forcing GA to commit more players to the run and put their CBs in single coverage. If we have much success against ND, that's pretty close to how it will happen as well, IMHO.
    I'm VERY familiar with ND's defensive scheme. The issue that you're not understanding is ND will be The Best Front 7 y'all will have played all year, save possibly LSU. I really like Kevin Minter, & rightfully so, but he's no Manti. LSU has better DEs, but ND is better @ DT. If Michael Brockers came back instead of going pro, I would easily change that statement as they would have atleast 3 1st rounders on the DL, and no worse than a mid 2nd rounder in Logan.

Dustin, per LSU's records you might not want to do a whole lot of talking about 1992-2009 either, and particularly before 2003.
    I DON'T! That's the difference!