The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago teachers on strike

this is all a manufactured set up...the teachers aren't striking for higher salaries (already lead the nation in that), they are arguing over benefit packages...or we are told

in comes BHO to the rescue to mediate an agreement and the world is safe

it all makes sense...its a typical Chicago set up..the teachers union- Rahm Emanuel-BHO...what better way to fire up your voting base but to show you have their back in a "manufactured crisis"
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I'm sure these teachers have their reasons and if the kids miss a few days....they will be treated like snow days...made up at the end of the year. Why is the worker always wrong? Or in this case the teacher?

I don't know why they are stricking but my guess is the city is trying to take from them and the union believes it is bad for its members.
    The impression I've gotten is that the teachers are also very concerned about keeping their health insurance plan and opposing teacher evaluations.

Chicago, I've read, has some of the worst schools in the country in student performance. Similar to Philadelphia. The violence, gang activity, etc. interferes with the ability of students to get educated. It's possible that teachers in such schools feel they are entitled to wages and benefits that are equatable to "combat pay."

So, the answer may lie in how the school system/district can find an answer to make it possible to re-establish the environment where the students who want to can learn. I don't have the answer to that, but I'd think the first thing is to do something about that problem ... even if it is temporary until a longer-term solution is found.

For example, we are often told that if we don't get kids educated they will be a bigger burden on society later. If the trouble-makers aren't removed from the rest of the kids, both the trouble-makers and the other kids don't get educated. If you take the trouble-makers out of that classroom, then at least there's some chance you'll educate the ones who would learn if they weren't being intimidated by the trouble-makers?

But there has to be a penalty to the trouble-makers. Sitting in a room throwing spitballs isn't a penalty ... it's a reward. How about making them clean up school grounds; wash graffiti off walls, etc? Probably also a good idea, split them up. Split them up and bus them to another school to do this stuff so that their "support network" is disrupted. I'm sure that there is enough clean-up to do that is left over after the paid employees put in their time.

It is divine justice (sorry for mentioning God), that Emmanuel has to deal with this He finagled his residency so that he could become Mayor of Chicago. Since he is from Chicago, he HAD to know what he was getting into. Has he uesed the excuse that he inherited this from Daley? He doesn't dare! They are both part of the same political machine.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

The problem with "making" kids do anything as a "Punishment". Is that these kids know more about the laws then we do.
    Good Luck "making" any of the "trouble-makers " do anything.
    My niece teachers in a small community in central ILL. She teaches special -needs students. Students that are troubled NOT handicapped. Some students come to school with ankle bracelets!!!
    I hate that all the parents that kids are usually in school while they are at work.
    It's a mess.
    Sue
    Never confuse activity with success.

"Ummmmmmm Isn't a word." Judge Judy

Seems to be lots of knowledge on this Chicago mess.
    Any of you know the President of the CTU???

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Karen Lewis;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1YXOSaMZzs
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post

unfortunately the real losers in this case are the kids
    That's all there is to it right there. It seems to me that it takes away from their argument as to how great of teachers they are when they are clearly not concerned with how long these kids are going to be out of school. I'd want my kid's teacher to care about him/her. Those might be few and far between, but I know a few teachers who genuinely love what they do and really care about the kids. I'm sorry, but if you got into teaching looking to make a killing and live the high life after retirement, I have no pity for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Kiefer View Post
    The problem with "making" kids do anything as a "Punishment". Is that these kids know more about the laws then we do.
    Good Luck "making" any of the "trouble-makers " do anything.
    My niece teachers in a small community in central ILL. She teaches special -needs students. Students that are troubled NOT handicapped. Some students come to school with ankle bracelets!!!
    I hate that all the parents that kids are usually in school while they are at work.
    It's a mess.
    Sue
    My mom is an IEP facilitator for emotionally disturbed high school kids. She taught them for 8 years. It's a tough job, but she loves it.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    It's possible that teachers in such schools feel they are entitled to wages and benefits that are equatable to "combat pay."

So they want an extra 225.00 a month. That is combat pay for the military when they are in a combat certified area.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    I'm sure these teachers have their reasons and if the kids miss a few days....they will be treated like snow days...made up at the end of the year. Why is the worker always wrong? Or in this case the teacher?

I don't know why they are stricking but my guess is the city is trying to take from them and the union believes it is bad for its members.
    I was raised in Illinois, K through 12 grade. First 6 six years private and then moved to the public school. I was in 10th grade when the teacher's went on strike in my city. To make up the time the plan was to cut Thanksgiving and Christmas down to cover the strike days. The problem with the end of school make up is the weather. Many schools still do not have air condition, but the temp. are very high most years in that state during the summer. The students went on strike, I walked out the door right along with most of my classmates. After the strike, one teacher the Biology teacher informed us that all the students who walked out would not be allowed to make up the test that was scheduled during our strike. I told him I remember he was walking the teacher's strike and was caring a BIG sign. He admitted that he was there on the picket line because that was business and a good cause. I told him he should then understand why we went on strike and honor our strike, just as we were forced to honor his strike. He didn't care about the students and remains to this day at the top of the list of scum balls. I did have the last laugh in that class.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    The impression I've gotten is that the teachers are also very concerned about keeping their health insurance plan and opposing teacher evaluations.

Chicago, I've read, has some of the worst schools in the country in student performance. Similar to Philadelphia. The violence, gang activity, etc. interferes with the ability of students to get educated. It's possible that teachers in such schools feel they are entitled to wages and benefits that are equatable to "combat pay."

So, the answer may lie in how the school system/district can find an answer to make it possible to re-establish the environment where the students who want to can learn. I don't have the answer to that, but I'd think the first thing is to do something about that problem ... even if it is temporary until a longer-term solution is found.

For example, we are often told that if we don't get kids educated they will be a bigger burden on society later. If the trouble-makers aren't removed from the rest of the kids, both the trouble-makers and the other kids don't get educated. If you take the trouble-makers out of that classroom, then at least there's some chance you'll educate the ones who would learn if they weren't being intimidated by the trouble-makers?

But there has to be a penalty to the trouble-makers. Sitting in a room throwing spitballs isn't a penalty ... it's a reward. How about making them clean up school grounds; wash graffiti off walls, etc? Probably also a good idea, split them up. Split them up and bus them to another school to do this stuff so that their "support network" is disrupted. I'm sure that there is enough clean-up to do that is left over after the paid employees put in their time.

It is divine justice (sorry for mentioning God), that Emmanuel has to deal with this He finagled his residency so that he could become Mayor of Chicago. Since he is from Chicago, he HAD to know what he was getting into. Has he uesed the excuse that he inherited this from Daley? He doesn't dare! They are both part of the same political machine.
    My son was at Ray Elementary there for 2nd and 3rd grade. It was an awesome school and they taught him how to read. This was some time back but it blew the texas schools out of the water.

Banned

does anyone else see the irony here? Conservatives want the govt to stay out of things, yet they are mad that the president hasn't stepped in and fired the teachers. They want the govt to stay out of things, unless it is a chance to bust the union, then it's ok. If the govt got involved then, they would scream to stay out of it, it's a local thing. If the govt were to step in and fire the teachers, who would do it? I guess they could hire replacement teachers like the NFL did with the referees. This is driving me crazy. Not a very long drive I might add.

Unfortunately, in the court of public opinion, the teachers always lose when these kinds of things go down. Just to clear things up a bit for some, it is highly unlikely that the students will lose any time. There is a required number of student days as required by law. The schedule may change, but the number of student days will not. Schools all over the country have different schedules, and holidays and breaks, but the states I am familiar with require 180 days. Most districts usually add a few more than required.
    Mike