The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago teachers on strike

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    Tuition is optional, taxes are not. Why do private schools have better scores and fewer behavior problems, sometimes with lesser facilities and course offerings? Simple, it's a different class of people that are paying to send their children there. You are right that students(not enough of them), are not required to abide by the rules, and that is a direct reflection of society and parental influences.
    Mike
    The better private schools have students with very educated parents that work hard with their kids to make them successful...therefore this added help shows up in performance.

Now the public schools on the other hand have children thats parents may not be able to help with algibra for example.

Going back to the small classroom...teachers are able to help the kids that struggle with certain things, where they couldn't if the class size was big.

There is evidence, read the studies while in college. Just because they were not provided to you doesn't mean they don't exist. I can tell you from personal experience that it can make a difference. I understand your distaste of unions, but for the teachers in the classroom, there is a definite advantage in most cases. Also when class size is discussed district wide, that it impacts all levels. A 30 + K through 5 class with included special needs students is a different scene than a H.S. AP chem class.

I agree 100% a good teacher is a good motivator. As for the Liberal vs. Engineering school.... That is the whole left brain vs right brain kind of thing. And there are some HS courses that meet that Criteria. In many places, higher achieving HS students are able to take college courses while still in HS. My sister had college credits from Lafayette (in PA) before attending The U of Arizona.

Current research shows that lecture type classes are not the best ways for students to learn. Classroom teachers in many cases are not allowed to teach using the methods that were used with us. The methods that are being required make large class sizes difficult.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Each year in negotiations this subject was broached by the reps fron the teachers association - we asked them for any substantiation they could provide - every year there was none, so it was dropped - IMO lower class sizes means more union members & little else - having a lot of experience as a participant in the class room, teacher quality & a stimulating subject are the biggest reason children learn - a good teacher is a good stimulator

I started at a liberal arts school - left after one semester as there was little challenge - went to an engineering school, now that was college level & the courses were stimulating - I believe some HS level courses could meet that same criteria -

Obama said he has a big ole hat and sunglasses so he was ready to strike with them where is he?
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    Obama said he has a big ole hat and sunglasses so he was ready to strike with them where is he?
    he can't find his tennis shoes... and mom jeans
    Bill Davis

He's to busy getting ready for the Letterman show while he's in New York, or I'm sure he would be there. Same reason he cant meet with Netanyahu he's so busy . He couldnt even put off fund raising for a day after the Libya attack he had to get to Las Vegas. .
    Last edited by gmhr1; 09-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

I think the big difference is also the fact that private schools can accept or reject students. I know my brother was not welcome at the private school because he was dyslexic. I also do not think you can compare k-12 students with college students. I sent all my kids to public school for k-12 and I would put there test scores up to any student in a private school or even a foreign school. There are many factors that affect how a student will do in school. Parents also play a big part in how well a child does in school.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    I think the big difference is also the fact that private schools can accept or reject students. I know my brother was not welcome at the private school because he was dyslexic. I also do not think you can compare k-12 students with college students. I sent all my kids to public school for k-12 and I would put there test scores up to any student in a private school or even a foreign school. There are many factors that affect how a student will do in school. Parents also play a big part in how well a child does in school.

Terri
    Do teachers play any roll?
    Does DA UNION?

Or is it all someone elses fault when students can't read or do math and couldn't find the capitol of Russia if you showed it to them?
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    Do teachers play any roll?
    Does DA UNION?

Or is it all someone elses fault when students can't read or do math and couldn't find the capitol of Russia if you showed it to them?
    A teachers job is to facilitate learning. They can't teach someone that does not want to listen...I can relate. However, they can build confidence and motivate. That is a good teacher.

Teacher need unions because if a city can get away with it, it would give them nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    A teachers job is to facilitate learning. They can't teach someone that does not want to listen...I can relate. However, they can build confidence and motivate. That is a good teacher.

Teacher need unions because if a city can get away with it, it would give them nothing.
    which one of your teachers do we hold responsible for your lack of spelling and grammar skills ?
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    which one of your teachers do we hold responsible for your lack of spelling and grammar skills ?
    Can't blame the teacher if they didn't have anything to work with...
    Bill Davis