The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago teachers on strike

Bon, If you're going to say that, please begin your sentence with a capital.

Sorry Bon, I couldn't resist.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    which one of your teachers do we hold responsible for your lack of spelling and grammar skills ?

Good one....in the words of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday character from Tombstone, "..Let's have a spelling bee.."
    Last edited by BonMallari; 09-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

"I'm your huckleberry""

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Good one....in the words of Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday character from Tombstone, "..Let's have a spelling bee.."

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Can't blame the teacher if they didn't have anything to work with...
    At least I stayed awake in my Poltical Science classes....something you aparently didn't do.... because you would realize that Romney is a loser.

You are just another Rush junkie...not an original thought...anyway when you are coping from an email sent to you from Rush they have already spell checked...that being the only thing they checked

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    At least I stayed awake in my Poltical Science classes....something you aparently didn't do.... because you would realize that Romney is a loser.

You are just another Rush junkie...not an original thought...anyway when you are coping from an email sent to you from Rush they have already spell checked...that being the only thing they checked
    Chicago who would of thunk it

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post

You are becoming unhinged... like most of the left... It's going to be a sad morning for you on the day after the election... I hope you have the number to the crisis hotline.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    I believe more studies have shown that class size does matter. It may not be the only important factor, but it still is a factor. Comparing college level lecture classes to public school classes is apples to oranges. 50 or more 18 year olds and over that are paying to be there is quite different than 30 +- public school students. Quality of the teacher is important, but classroom teachers in public schools hands are being tied (figuratively) more and more.

Mike
    I don't know about he studies but I do know about Tennessee. The state has poured money into the school system to significantly reduce class size and has been successful in doing so. Resulting change in performaance is that there has been no change. The result may be caused by other factors but still the result is no change in performance.

By any scale you choose, the US spends more on educaton than any other country in the world. The results have been quite different. You are correct that teachers are severely resticted in their choices in teaching. That is a result of the fact that students are forced to attend the schools for which they have been zoned. As a result, rules and regulations must fit all students. I well remember a conflict with my son's elementary school concerning the gifted program. They told me what they were going to do and I forced them to obey the law. Neither of us really won. I got what I wanted for my son but at the cost of a considerable amount of both my time and the schools time, not to mention money. Much simpler would have been had the school been able to say, "you don't like our rules then go somewhere else." My response would have been simply, "you're fired and I will take the voucher to another school." Both the school and my son wold have been better off.
    Last edited by caryalsobrook; 09-12-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caryalsobrook View Post
    I don't know about he studies but I do know about Tennessee. The state has poured money into the school system to significantly reduce class size and has been successful in doing so. Resulting change in performaance is that there has been no change. The result may be caused by other factors but still the result is no change in performance.

By any scale you choose, the US spends more on educaton than any other country in the world. The results have been quite different. You are correct that teachers are severely resticted in their choices in teaching. That is a result of the fact that students are forced to attend the schools for which they have been zoned. As a result, rules and regulations must fit all students. I well remember a conflict with my son's elementary school concerning the gifted program. They told me what they were going to do and I forced them to obey the law. Neither of us really won. I got what I wanted for my son but at the cost of a considerable amount of both my time and the schools time, not to mention money. Much simpler would have been had the school been able to say, "you don't like our rules then go somewhere else." My response would have been simply, "you're fired and I will take the voucher to another school." Both the school and my son would have been better off.
    That alone would solve 90% of the issues in education today .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

I understand what you're saying, but I think the voucher system would cause as many, if not more, problems than it solves. Also, I don't dispute what you've said about TN, but would you rather your son be in an elementary class of 30+ or 20?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I think the voucher system would cause as many, if not more, problems than it solves. Also, I don't dispute what you've said about TN, but would you rather your son be in an elementary class of 30+ or 20?
    Mike
    He WAS in an elementary class of 20. The state had indeed decreased class size AND IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE!!

I might add that as long as children are restricted as to where they are allowed to attend school, then teachers also will be severely restricted as to their freedom to teach in a manner they feel proper.
    Last edited by caryalsobrook; 09-12-2012 at 07:21 PM.