The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E Collar Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    So the pro 500 is just all around a better built unit? I assume it will have better resale value down the road too if I ever need to get rid of it? I am just hesitant to spend $500 on my first E Collar.
    You can spend the $500 now, or spend the $500 after you spend the $200 and then upgrade.

Check your PMs...

CaptJack is right. I went through three ecollars (Cls 70 (old style), Cls 70 (new style), Flyway Special) before I wound up with a Pro 500. But I have backups now if my 500 goes down for any reason plus I gave my Flyway to my son. For maintenance and hunting the Flyway is fine.

Actually I guess it was four previous ecollars. My first was a 70, I guess. It was a gold colored tube style with a pull out antenna. Not many remember those I bet.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

You will spend it eventually and more... $325 for your first then $489 later. I always say if you think an expert is expensive try an amatuer.

I tried to go the cheap route and after a few months I ended up buying another collar, the Pro 100. Do your self a favor and buy the 500 or the 100. Not having to take your eye off the dog to pick what level of stim to use is too important to me. Timing with the collar is eveything!

I just purchased a reconditioned Tritronics Flyway 2 dog collar set up from Collarclinic.com, I like the tube style transmitter and I thought it was a great value for under $300 including shipping and 6 month warrantee. This is my first E-collar. I was considering the TT pro 200 or a Dogtra 2302. After seeing some posts I stongly considered the TT Flyway and TT 500. When I saw the reconditioned Flyway 2 dog offered at $279.00 I thought it was a "No Brainer". Please tell me I will not have buyers remorse in 6 months.
    Last edited by JimmyD; 09-13-2012 at 09:57 AM.

I used a Flyway Special for a long time before I went to the Pro 500. I think you will be happy with it.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

The price for your pup and the price for a good quality collar, will be the cheapest part of owning and training a field trial or a good hunting dog.
    Bite the bullet and go with the Pro 500.
    "Remember, it's about the Dog and the Dog work, it's not about you"

The sport models lasted me about 1-2 years then started having serious problems that caused dog training problems, For Tritronics the Pro 500 is the one to buy. If you are going to hunt your dog the Dogtra 3500 might be a better choice as it can be used easily while in a jacket pocket.
    The problem I had with the sport models was the level dial wearing out causing intermitent or no corections when pushing the button.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

Just food for thought but I am a hunter only and would not have a tube style. I want the smallest transmitter possible. I understand for those that train for FT or multiple dogs that the tube is the way to go but not for hunting IMO. I use the Sportdog 1225 and really like it. However, I think TT is the way to go.

Like Kelly said, for hunting the Dogtra is the way to go...however, its features are comparable with the TT @ any level. Its all about personal preference. I personally have several Dogtra 3500's and for all the features they offer and the price as compared to a TT Pro, IMO, they cant be beat. I own several because of the number of dogs I run a day. If a battery gets low I simply pick up another freshly charged collar and continue on about my business...but I wouldn't buy 2 collars...a tube style for training and another for hunting if I only had one dog...i'd buy the Dogtra, use it for both, and take the savings ($369 for the 3500 vs $489 for the TT 500) and put it to good use else where. Again, personal preference.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH