The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E Collar Recommendations

I started with a Dogtra 1900 NCP, it worked great. The only problem I found was that if I wanted to jump up in stim level I had to take my eye's off the dog, look down at the transmitter and dial up the juice. By the time I did all that it was too late. Other times I just turned up the dial and the next thing I knew the stim was all the way up to full. On the TT Pro transmitters, you can increase the stim in nice even jumps by what button/s you press, all while keeping your eye's on the dog.

What exactly is the difference between the pro 200 and flyway? They are both 6 continuous, 18 momentary, and audible tone, yet priced differently.

If I went with the flyway instead of the pro500, I would only lose 1 dog in capability, and I would have fewer continuous levels to choose from right?

200 and Flyway are the same. Except for colors. The straps on the flyway are hunting colors (black, green and tan) and the buckles are blackened.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

If a newbie like me was trying to pick between the pro 100 and pro 200, how would they know which to pick? Pro 100 has 18 continuous and 6 momentary, the pro 200 has just the opposite. I have no idea what would work best for me or my dog. I guess that is another reason to go with the pro 500 and cover all my bases?

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    If a newbie like me was trying to pick between the pro 100 and pro 200, how would they know which to pick? Pro 100 has 18 continuous and 6 momentary, the pro 200 has just the opposite. I have no idea what would work best for me or my dog. I guess that is another reason to go with the pro 500 and cover all my bases?
    If you have to choose, go with more continuous. You can nick with continuous (those of us who started before the nick feature was available still do) but you can't go the other way.

I at first went with sport basic as you first considered. Not very happy with it and never will regret going with the 500. Unlike many, I almost always use momentary instead of continious but really like same strength continious with just a flip of the switch. Spread the cost differential over about 5 years and see what the cost difference is. You won't regret it.

Reconditioned Pro 500 G2 EXP for $369, or new Pro 500 G3 EXP for $500?

Reconditioned Pro 500 G2 EXP for $369, or new Pro 500 G3 EXP for $500?
    In electronics I like new, I always figure there's a reason the other guy got rid of it. And those dang little electrons don't like me and go on strike right after I own the dang thing.

I bet if you bought the pro 100 and used it for a year, you'd never miss not having the other dozen momentary levels.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

The really nice thing about Tri-tronics is if you do buy the cheaper model and decide you don't like it is you can then just buy a transmitter and use it with your original collar/reciever. All the collars recievers will work with any of the hand held transmitters so if you buy a transmitter you don't like you can buy a different transmitter and have a spare. Of course it is still cheaper to buy the correct one the first time.
    Dogs Dog, Handlers Handle, Judges Judge

HRCH Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami MH QAA

I have the sport combo and love it
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"