RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

E Collar Recommendations

7K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  jackh 
#1 ·
I think I have narrowed it down to Tri-Tronics Sport Basic or Sport Combo. The combo has an extra 10 levels of stimulation and can change from CMM, MCC, or TCM for an extra $40. This is my first time using an E Collar. I think my pup may appreciate the extra range of stimulation. What do you guys think?

#2 ·
I think your dog does not appreciate stimulation at all.:D

If you are training the dog, i.e. basics and transition training, get a TT pro 500. If you are handling the dog while hunting but someone else is doing the training, then the sport collars would be ok.

#4 ·
First Choice: Tritronics Pro 500
Second Choice: Tritronics Flyway Special

If you are training your dog one of the tube style transmitters is best.

#6 ·
I take that back, I am confused. GDS website reads the following:

"The Pro 500 G3 EXP gives you three levels of continuous stimulation and three levels of momentary stimulation - all instantly selectable from the transmitter."

Further down the page it says "Two black buttons control 18 levels of continuous and 18 levels of momentary stimulation'

Which one is it?

#7 ·
The dial shows 6 levels of stimulation but within each level there is high, medium and low. Thus 18. The bottom black button is low, the top button medium adn both buttons together is high.

The pro 500 is just a better made product. You can hold the ecollar transmitter in the same hand as a heeling stick. By holding your two fingers on the two black buttons you can adjust the stimulation without looking at the transmitter by simply pressing one or other of the buttons or both.

You can't do any of this with the retangular shaped transmitters. I don't recall if GDS has a comparsion chart but Tritronics does. The 500 and others pro series have rechargeable battery packs as opposed to a nine volt battery.
Hope this helps.

#11 ·
You can spend the $500 now, or spend the $500 after you spend the $200 and then upgrade.;)

Check your PMs...

#12 ·
CaptJack is right. I went through three ecollars (Cls 70 (old style), Cls 70 (new style), Flyway Special) before I wound up with a Pro 500. But I have backups now if my 500 goes down for any reason plus I gave my Flyway to my son. For maintenance and hunting the Flyway is fine.

Actually I guess it was four previous ecollars. My first was a 70, I guess. It was a gold colored tube style with a pull out antenna. Not many remember those I bet.

#13 ·
You will spend it eventually and more... $325 for your first then $489 later. I always say if you think an expert is expensive try an amatuer.

#14 ·
I tried to go the cheap route and after a few months I ended up buying another collar, the Pro 100. Do your self a favor and buy the 500 or the 100. Not having to take your eye off the dog to pick what level of stim to use is too important to me. Timing with the collar is eveything!

#15 · (Edited)
I just purchased a reconditioned Tritronics Flyway 2 dog collar set up from Collarclinic.com, I like the tube style transmitter and I thought it was a great value for under $300 including shipping and 6 month warrantee. This is my first E-collar. I was considering the TT pro 200 or a Dogtra 2302. After seeing some posts I stongly considered the TT Flyway and TT 500. When I saw the reconditioned Flyway 2 dog offered at $279.00 I thought it was a "No Brainer". Please tell me I will not have buyers remorse in 6 months.

#16 ·
I used a Flyway Special for a long time before I went to the Pro 500. I think you will be happy with it.

#18 ·
The sport models lasted me about 1-2 years then started having serious problems that caused dog training problems, For Tritronics the Pro 500 is the one to buy. If you are going to hunt your dog the Dogtra 3500 might be a better choice as it can be used easily while in a jacket pocket.
The problem I had with the sport models was the level dial wearing out causing intermitent or no corections when pushing the button.

#19 ·
Just food for thought but I am a hunter only and would not have a tube style. I want the smallest transmitter possible. I understand for those that train for FT or multiple dogs that the tube is the way to go but not for hunting IMO. I use the Sportdog 1225 and really like it. However, I think TT is the way to go.

#20 ·
Like Kelly said, for hunting the Dogtra is the way to go...however, its features are comparable with the TT @ any level. Its all about personal preference. I personally have several Dogtra 3500's and for all the features they offer and the price as compared to a TT Pro, IMO, they cant be beat. I own several because of the number of dogs I run a day. If a battery gets low I simply pick up another freshly charged collar and continue on about my business...but I wouldn't buy 2 collars...a tube style for training and another for hunting if I only had one dog...i'd buy the Dogtra, use it for both, and take the savings ($369 for the 3500 vs $489 for the TT 500) and put it to good use else where. Again, personal preference.

#21 ·
I started with a Dogtra 1900 NCP, it worked great. The only problem I found was that if I wanted to jump up in stim level I had to take my eye's off the dog, look down at the transmitter and dial up the juice. By the time I did all that it was too late. Other times I just turned up the dial and the next thing I knew the stim was all the way up to full. On the TT Pro transmitters, you can increase the stim in nice even jumps by what button/s you press, all while keeping your eye's on the dog.

#22 ·
What exactly is the difference between the pro 200 and flyway? They are both 6 continuous, 18 momentary, and audible tone, yet priced differently.

If I went with the flyway instead of the pro500, I would only lose 1 dog in capability, and I would have fewer continuous levels to choose from right?

#23 ·
200 and Flyway are the same. Except for colors. The straps on the flyway are hunting colors (black, green and tan) and the buckles are blackened.

#24 ·
If a newbie like me was trying to pick between the pro 100 and pro 200, how would they know which to pick? Pro 100 has 18 continuous and 6 momentary, the pro 200 has just the opposite. I have no idea what would work best for me or my dog. I guess that is another reason to go with the pro 500 and cover all my bases?

#25 ·
If you have to choose, go with more continuous. You can nick with continuous (those of us who started before the nick feature was available still do) but you can't go the other way.

#28 ·
In electronics I like new, I always figure there's a reason the other guy got rid of it. And those dang little electrons don't like me and go on strike right after I own the dang thing.

I bet if you bought the pro 100 and used it for a year, you'd never miss not having the other dozen momentary levels.

#29 ·
The really nice thing about Tri-tronics is if you do buy the cheaper model and decide you don't like it is you can then just buy a transmitter and use it with your original collar/reciever. All the collars recievers will work with any of the hand held transmitters so if you buy a transmitter you don't like you can buy a different transmitter and have a spare. Of course it is still cheaper to buy the correct one the first time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.