The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying lines on blinds

I am trying to understand the start of this drill. I see 5 piles. 2 bumbers per pile except the back pile making it 11 total bumpers like you said. Then you send from your side the first five. When you send the dog to each pile, you line line and give the back command to each pile correct? You said over , but should I assume you are just calling the piles a the 90 the "over piles". Then step back 10 yards and cast, over, and angle back, left back, right back, angle back and over.
    Thank you,
    Ernie

I don't necessarily believe that the line is the problem. I would tend to think that it is a factor that the dog is not fighting, i.e. wind, side hill, water, etc or suction that he is giving into, that is more of a problem. Teaching dogs to over come factors will teach them to carry better lines.

Just for clarification when you say field are you talking like mowed short grass field like a yard where they can almost if not see the bumpers or a short cover hay field?

For this dog the problem begins with not carrying the cast/line. I see it on flat featureless fields, short stuff he is fine on, when he gets out there it becomes very obvious. I own this problem, I have never done long casting drills.

Quote Originally Posted by dexdoolittle View Post
    I don't necessarily believe that the line is the problem. I would tend to think that it is a factor that the dog is not fighting, i.e. wind, side hill, water, etc or suction that he is giving into, that is more of a problem. Teaching dogs to over come factors will teach them to carry better lines.
    I agree with Dex. My first thought would be walking baseball where you can practice those casts and add factors.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdalt View Post
    I agree with Dex. My first thought would be walking baseball where you can practice those casts and add factors.
    Walking baseball would be good also. The bottom line as with any drill is that you have to carry it over to the field and PRACTICE!!! Blind work takes lots of practice and some handlers along with some dogs never really get that good at it. For a dog that has "some" experience under their belt,,, I would cast, stop the dog when it falls out of the cast with a nick and repeat the cast until I get the cast that I want and the dog holds it. It won't be perfect for the first few days but you should see improvement and by the end of the week your dog "should" be taking and holding casts quite well.

Angie

? why do you need the overs to be 100yards. I seems like overkill to me.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

I'm with Dex and Angie. It doesn't do a damn bit of good to have the dog take a nice cast and then give in to cover, water, terrain or wind. I do that 5 legged lining and casting drill enough, in different places and different wind conditions, so I know my dog ablolutely knows what the cast means. If they don't carry it in spite of factors they get another whistle and another cast. Corrections depend on the dog and her experience level.

PS. I've never been a fan of walking baseball. I've done it some but prefer the above drill.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Walking baseball would be good also. The bottom line as with any drill is that you have to carry it over to the field and PRACTICE!!! Blind work takes lots of practice and some handlers along with some dogs never really get that good at it. For a dog that has "some" experience under their belt,,, I would cast, stop the dog when it falls out of the cast with a nick and repeat the cast until I get the cast that I want and the dog holds it. It won't be perfect for the first few days but you should see improvement and by the end of the week your dog "should" be taking and holding casts quite well.

Angie

So, Angie,
    Correct me if I am wrong.

SOMETIMES your blind is finished because of dogs refusal to take casts. THEN after that determination,, You work on the cast,, that particular cast,, and not so much the blind.

You work on Handeling the dog.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 09-14-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Pattern blinds?
    Renee P