Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carrying lines on blinds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    So, Angie,
    Correct me if I am wrong.

SOMETIMES your blind is finished because of dogs refusal to take casts. THEN after that determination,, You work on the cast,, that particular cast,, and not so much the blind.

You work on Handeling the dog.
    Yes,,,, the blind is forgotten and we work just on the cast until I get that cast correctly. If I feel the dog is stiffer on one side then the other I will go to a drill like Howards to soften the dogs stiff side and make it more comfortable taking and holding that cast.

Angie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Pattern blinds?
    Ya,,, you could do that too but you won't get the mileage out of it like you would with Howards drill.

Angie

Senior Member Lucky Number Seven's Avatar

Great topic and some great input. Keep it going!!

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    ? why do you need the overs to be 100yards. I seems like overkill to me.

Bert
    Is there a reason to make them 100 yds or can it be done with shorter overs about the length of the three back piles?

Quote Originally Posted by artner24 View Post
    Is there a reason to make them 100 yds or can it be done with shorter overs about the length of the three back piles?
    Believe me, you won't get a 100 yard over while running a real blind, especially at a trial when they're more amped than normal.

I don't have enough fields to set up 100 yard overs every place I do it. But!!!!! I want the long overs to get the dogs used to going over long distances. You almost never need an over when running a blind but when you do a scallop can kill you over a dike, hit that piece of cover or terrain, or something. If you get 100 yard overs in a drill you can get an honest 10 yard over in a trial and that can save your bacon. I know my first dog only gave me 5 or 6 yard overs before he's scallop before I started doing this drill with him when he was 4 years old. His overs improved by a factor of 3 or 4 after a month of this drill 2 times a week.

If I didn't have a field I could set up 100 yard overs, I'd set up what I could. Running 50 yard overs in this drill is better than not running this drill at all. IMO anyway, I never actually had to do them that short.
    Last edited by Howard N; 09-14-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by artner24 View Post
    Yes , the reason(or at least one of them) is you are telling the dog to take that cast until you either step on a bird or I give you another whistle...if you go with a pre determined distance, the dog will either anticipate another correction, or slow down and hunt short, kind of a sideways Escalon shuffle...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

makes sense thanks for the explanation

These have been great answers. As I see it, the original drill with 5 casts posted is extremely helpful in getting the casts straightened out. I run a similar drill, but I am going to adjust mine to be more like the one posted. Once you nail down this drill in a few flat fields, you could move it to where some of the casts deal with more factors, even water.

This is the advantage of walking baseball, though. You can run any cast through any factor. When we run walking baseball, we do 8 casts (left back, right back. left angle back, right angle back, left over, right over, left hunt in, right hunt in) every time. If a dog shows me an issue with one of the casts, I will re-run that cast before moving on to the next.

I'm hoping we get some more great advice on this thread! A lot of folks have yet to weigh in.
    -Barton Ramsey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bartona500 View Post
    These have been great answers. As I see it, the original drill with 5 casts posted is extremely helpful in getting the casts straightened out. I run a similar drill, but I am going to adjust mine to be more like the one posted. Once you nail down this drill in a few flat fields, you could move it to where some of the casts deal with more factors, even water.

This is the advantage of walking baseball, though. You can run any cast through any factor. When we run walking baseball, we do 8 casts (left back, right back. left angle back, right angle back, left over, right over, left hunt in, right hunt in) every time. If a dog shows me an issue with one of the casts, I will re-run that cast before moving on to the next.

I'm hoping we get some more great advice on this thread! A lot of folks have yet to weigh in.
    This issue is not that hard to address.. Barton how much more do you need?? How many more people do you need to weigh in to validate what has already been advised??

It's pretty simple. Not rocket science.

Angie

I'm not looking for any more validation. Anything added would not be a validation, just further ideas. Maybe someone has another drill or something that has worked for them. Several of these "training help" threads go on for 6-7 pages. I'm sorry, but I'd rather people keep adding ideas to a thread like this than read 10 pages of arguing over whether a British Hunt Test Amateur Dog is better than a FC American Pro Dog who only eats such and such... you get the idea.

Just wanted folks to keep weighing in with training ideas on a training thread... Sorry!
    -Barton Ramsey