The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Pointing Goldens

90% of the labs here at the club that were very bold flushers start pointing at 6 or 7 or at the 2500 or 3000 bird mark.Why,"anticipation" is my guess to the culprit.
    All the research and discussions I`ve had with chessie people say theirs point,to my SATISFACTION I`ve not seen this,allthough I`m only at the 1000 bird mark with my 4 yo. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by RetrieverNation View Post
    Good information so far but I'm a little confused when it comes to a dog you have trained to be a flusher.

If your flushing dog stops over a bird and does not move, is he standing game, displaying a weak point or both? ... I have also seen dogs that have had too many nicks for steady or sit at the flush turn into game standers.

Depends on what you mean by "trained to be a flusher." Combine with "I have also seen dogs that have had too many nicks for steady or sit at the flush turn into game standers." and you may have your answer. I've been told this even happens with some Springers. It was also said "They don't breed the ones that do that."

OTOH, if you really haven't done anything special to "train" the dog as a flusher, just let it interact naturally with birds. It is possible, and maybe likely, what you're seeing is a natural point emerging as a result of the progress of the dog's experience (learning) from the birds and your reactions.

Jere

Quote Originally Posted by Klamath Hunting Gold View Post
    Oh hell Paul, I taught a golden to fetch once... and walked away with one of the ribbons.... I think you were there. It was nice of you to stay and watch.
    Randy
    I always like to watch the little stakes run. So fun to watch what the youngsters are doing...

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

I've always loved discussions about getting dogs bred to flush to point, and dogs bred to point flushing. I especially like it when a client brings a dog to me to teach a dog bred to naturally behave a certain way to do the opposite. You haven't seen a real pointer till you seen a well bred EP.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Quote Originally Posted by Jere View Post
    OTOH, if you really haven't done anything special to "train" the dog as a flusher, just let it interact naturally with birds. It is possible, and maybe likely, what you're seeing is a natural point emerging as a result of the progress of the dog's experience (learning) from the birds and your reactions.

Jere
    I used to pheasant hunt a lot with friends who raised Irish Wolfhounds. They always had one that would point--and sometimes one that would also retrieve shot birds. They never "trained" the dogs for this, just took them along for exercise when they felt like seeing if they could kick up a few birds on their land, but eventually some of them picked it up. It was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Klamath Hunting Gold View Post
    Oh hell Paul, I taught a golden to fetch once... and walked away with one of the ribbons.... I think you were there. It was nice of you to stay and watch.
    Randy
    Hey besides my other reply, you got any more litters coming up? I got a potential client looking for a ground squirrel and I know you do a few every so many years?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    I've always loved discussions about getting dogs bred to flush to point, and dogs bred to point flushing. I especially like it when a client brings a dog to me to teach a dog bred to naturally behave a certain way to do the opposite. You haven't seen a real pointer till you seen a well bred EP.

/Paul
    Haha. You got that right! I have never walked up to a fine EP locked down and rigid from tail to nose and not been impressed with it...hundreds and hundreds of times i have seen it, it is always a striking site. I would also add that an mature AA pointer that has been conditioned and "roaded" on a regular basis since its derby campaign is the extreme example of canine athleticism. Every muscle toned and ripped, purposeful in motion and able to run a big 3 hr race.......man I love to watch a fine EP!
    "Dream big and dare to fail"

"Leadership in Service"

Y'all mean like this?

IMGP1028.jpg
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Y'all mean like this?

IMGP1028.jpg
    No matter what your favorite breed of dog is, that is beautiful!!
    God bless!- Jamee

When you stop having fun, it's time to quit!!
    "If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either"- Author unknown

My team:
    HR Dr. J's RxRated High Caliber JH "Kali"
    White Oak's Change of Plans "Bodee"
    #1 cheerleader: SJ's Gotta-Lot-A Go Lil "Jake"

Gone but never forgotten:
    HR Stevie-Joe's Super "Star"- my heart dog, I love you baby
    October 24, 2001-January 6, 2013

Agreed! I love to see any dog that has reached a high level of competence in its purpose...shepherds, hunting breeds, no matter. That is a conditioned canine athlete...
    "Dream big and dare to fail"

"Leadership in Service"