The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ACL injury

I would call them Darryl. They can perhaps change soem meds around or add something to help her stomach.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I have a 5yo female who has had the TTA procedure on both ACL's. The most recent one was 5 months ago. Has anyone had any experience with double TTA and how your dog performed afterwards. All I plan to do with her is hunt. If anyone has had any experience with my situation and let me know how your dog performed in the first hunting season after double TTA.

Just a quick update. She is doing a whole lot better than I expected her to be doing at this point. She wasn't eating very good for about the first day, I did contact the sugery center about it, but before we got any meds changed she started eating better. She still isn't eating like her old self, but good good enough. This Tuesday will be one week since her surgury. I've been keeping her in the crate and quiet and she doesn't seem to be minding it too much. She is putting weight on her leg and walking pretty well on it when she is out on a leash. I'll tell you, I think she is one tough dog. To date from the time the injury first occured to now she has never once whinned or whimpered. Hopefully her rehab goes as well as things have gone so far.

Darryl

OK good! Happy it went well. Did she have meniscus damage?
    The narcotics they give dog after surgery can be pretty strong. They just sliced her bone in two and bone pain is tough to take.
    I'm curious what are you're doing "now" for rehab? Ice, Heat, PROM (Passive range of motion). ???
    Remember to be extra cautious walking dog now as bone heal takes a while and repair could fail if you mess around thinking she's OK.
    What instructions did they give you for things to do week 1, 2 3 etc?
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Breck,

For rehab now, we are doing ice and range of motion. The heat was only for the first two days. She did have minor meniscus damage. He said they basically had to trim it up.

Believe me we are being very cautious, she is only out on the leash long enough to use the bathroom, then back in her wire crate. What I was trying to say was that within the last two days, she is getting harder and harder to keep calm when I walk her. I have sedative pills that I haven't been giving her, but may have to start if she keeps it up. I had asked the doc for a sedative just in case, he didn't think she needed it but said he liked the way I thought.

The exercises they gave me to do are supposed to take me through the second week. When I take her in to get the staples taken out we're going to decide whether to start her on their in house rehab program.

Darryl

Darryl,

I had one girl with a traditional ACL repair 15 years ago and another girl with two TPLOs in the last three years. I have found that the dogs are more comfortable in an ex-pen vs a crate during the time they have to be confined, for a number of reasons. The ex-pen allows them to stretch out vs staying curled/cramped up. They seem to do better also because we were able to keep them near us instead of in a crate. The ex-pen was set up next to the couch where they could be touched. It's also the hub of all activity I our house, so they can still see the action.

I have mupltiple ex-pens, but used the short one for all the surgeries.

See here and get the 24 inch tall one. You can shop around and find the best price.

http://www.petco.com/product/13904/M...cise-Pens.aspx

I will try to post a pic!

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

FWIW,

Here's what I did. The first pic is of the inside pen which is 24 inches. The second pen is 36 inch high and when she was off pain meds, I put her outside for a little while at a time to enjoy the sun. This was in November of 2011.

Notice, its a small pen, but bigger than a crate. She slept in here for weeks.

Hope this helps!

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Darryl,
    I live nearby, give me a call I would like to discuss the surgery and training. 301-848-4429

Thanks
    Dale

Sue,

Gracie is more the fire breather/ hyper type. If I put her in an enclosure with a low fence like that every time someone was around she'd have her paws up on top of the enclosure and more than likely would jump out of it. That's kind of what I was eluding to in my earlier posts. When I open the crate I snap a lead on her and she is so excited she tries to jump up and down. I don't let her of course.

Dale,

I'll give you a call.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by mja9346 View Post
    I have a 5yo female who has had the TTA procedure on both ACL's. The most recent one was 5 months ago. Has anyone had any experience with double TTA and how your dog performed afterwards. All I plan to do with her is hunt. If anyone has had any experience with my situation and let me know how your dog performed in the first hunting season after double TTA.
    My buddy had a similar situation with his 2yo black lab. He had the procedure done, then put him on some supplements and the dog hunted fine. I believe he used Dasuquin. If mine ends up having some joint issues, I'll be putting her on Joint Strong by K9power.
    "This is for everybody in this city who's had homes that used to be wet," he said after receiving the NFC championship trophy. "This is for the city of New Orleans." -Sean Payton