The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ACL injury

I would just offer a word of warning regarding x-pens, baby gates, etc during the early healing. There have been cases that jumped gates and ended up blowing the TPLO apart during the early post-op period. Dr. Canapp can verify this! So it will be VERY dependent on your dogs behavior. If in doubt ---- crate only.
    Jennifer Brown DVM, DACVS, DACVSMR, CCRT
    K-9 SportsVet

HRCH Maranatha's She's Got Phanesse MH, SAR U-1
    Maranatha's Black Talon Phallon JH, SAR U-1

www.lpkennels.com
    www.k9sportsvet.com

Jen,

I know my dog all too well which is why she is in the crate. I have a kennel with 5x10 runs attached to a building and won't put her out there because she likes to jump up on the fence and stand on her hind legs.

Well here we are 9 months removed from tplo surgery on her right leg and she has blown her left leg out. I was told after surgery on her right and they did the X-rays on her left that she had a 100% chance the left would go within two years. The only plus to it happening now is that she should be back to 100% by October. All I can say is thank god for insurance, petplan was great paying everything no questions asked the first time around. Took a little longer than I thought it should to get reimbursed though. She goes in for surgery Thursday with dr Knapp at VOSM. I hope everything goes as well this time as it did in September.

Since you have insurance why not leave dog with Dr Mrs Knapp for several weeks for the rehab. If I'm not mistaken my dog Smoke was the first one to stay with them 24/7 for 10 weeks or so severl years back.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Rochester, MN Bob & Ann Heise HiRollerLabs.com

Quote Originally Posted by dc73nova View Post
    I was told after surgery on her right and they did the X-rays on her left that she had a 100% chance the left would go within two years.
    I am curious as to why there was a 100% chance of blowing the other cruciate? Structural or something else?

We are on our 4th dog in 20 years with a TTA (different type of repair for cruciate). We did not have any issues competing the previous dogs, and thankfully none of them blew the other ACL. One of the dogs is now 11. He is somewhat arthritic in both back legs, but gets around pretty well. I do not know if his TTA contributed to his arthritis or if it just happened. The recent TTA is on a 5-year old male and I expect him to compete when we are finished with rehab.
    Bob/Ann Heise
    "Show up. Dominate. Go home." Dan Gable

"There is no such thing as perfection. There is always a higher level." Dan Gable

"Look at pressure as an opportunity." Tom Brands

"I like to relax with a chainsaw." Tom Brands 2010

I don't believe in allowing wine to breathe. I prefer mouth-to-wine resuscitation.

Quote Originally Posted by dc73nova View Post
    Well here we are 9 months removed from tplo surgery on her right leg and she has blown her left leg out. I was told after surgery on her right and they did the X-rays on her left that she had a 100% chance the left would go within two years. The only plus to it happening now is that she should be back to 100% by October. All I can say is thank god for insurance, petplan was great paying everything no questions asked the first time around. Took a little longer than I thought it should to get reimbursed though. She goes in for surgery Thursday with dr Knapp at VOSM. I hope everything goes as well this time as it did in September.
    I have a male AFC (Dude), now 9 1/2 and still competing. At age 6 he had TPLO surgery on one leg & has competed well since with no indication that the other leg has any problem. His was not a sudden or complete CCL tear, instead just a fraying but he was stiff and limping after a hard setup or workout but OK the next day. Things progressed, getting worse over time so I had him examined. Still didn't see any looseness in the joint (a common symptom) but the fluid tap showed damage so we did the surgery. Other knee is still good. I think everything depends upon the rehab and making sure you don't return too the field too soon. You need to get that knee back very close to 100% before you get into a lot of pounding land work or work in shallow water.
    David Didier, GA