The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Limiting the number of entries at an AKC hunt test?

Default Limiting the number of entries at an AKC hunt test?

Noticed this on EE:

Copper State Hunting Retriever Club Feb 2013 2MH, 2SH, 2JH (MH Limited to 89 entries per test)

https://www.entryexpress.net/loggedi....aspx?eid=5566

Is it new that clubs are allowed to limit the number of entries, or has it always been that way and I apparently just never paid attention?
    Thanks in advance.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

A 2 day master stake is limited to 60 dogs, a 3 day can have 90. A club cannot - by rule - limit the total entry. So if 181 dogs sign up the club - by rule - needs to add another flight. That's what the rulebook says but I've seen some instances that that don't seem to comply.

Saw this note in the premium:

**************EACH MH WILL BE LIMITED TO 89 ENTRIES PER AKC APPROVAL***************

If anyone from the club is on this forum, I'd sure like to know how they're going to limit the dogs and how they got AKC approval to do it. Maybe they're just hoping that if they put this note on EE, people won't enter if it's close to 89 dogs.
    Carol Hynes

Thanks for the replies. That is in keeping with what I had believed to be true, they cannot limit the entries. I, too, am curious how they got AKC approval to do so.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com

I would also like to know if they did get AKC approval. If that is possible, many clubs would benefit from being allowed to limit MH entries to a reasonable number that their club can handle.

Dawn
    Goldtraks Once 'n Luv with Amy CD MH WCX; Goldtraks Opening Day; Highlands Split Image MH WCX **; Karousel's Goldtrak Maguire JH WCX; Highlands On A Dare CD MH WCX **; MHR HRCH Adirondac Bustd at the Bordr UD MH AXP AJP WCX CCA VCX CL3 PKII PDI; Mostlygold's On the Mark CL3 PJII PKI; HRCH WR Adirondac Mountain Renegade CDX MH WCX CCA VC; Adirondac Tracks in the Wilderness

We don't stop playing because we've grown old, we grow old because we've stopped playing.

The email that I received stated that this was due to the "resources available at the hunt test site". I suspect that since water is a VERY limited quantity in Arizona, and especially at the Powers Butte Wildlife Area, this would preclude that there wouldn't be space or water available for a third flight at the Master test. I believe that would be the only reason for the limit and having been out there many times, it would make sense.

Arleen

I sure would like to know how this will go down! Because we are all limited at some point.

I have been to that test in the past. There is very little water. And they are looking at potentially providing 4 MH tests in 4 days on very limited grounds. If anyone ought to be allowed to restrict their entries, it's this club, LOL.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

It would seem to me that if the grounds are limited, then the first option should be to remove some of the extra stakes, ie drop the 2nd Master test, before being allowed to "limit" entries. There's no precedence that I'm aware of for limiting entries, so what do you do, first come, first served? Is EE set up to not allow more the 89 entries? If not, and someone enters dogs 89 and 90, are they going to refund the entry? Which dog gets to run? We were 3 dogs shy of having to add a 3rd split to our master in June, only because one of our regular pros had knee surgery and was not able to come. He normally brings 12 dogs. We don't have the property to do that either. I'd sure like to know how this would work.
    Carol Hynes

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    It would seem to me that if the grounds are limited, then the first option should be to remove some of the extra stakes, ie drop the 2nd Master test, before being allowed to "limit" entries. There's no precedence that I'm aware of for limiting entries, so what do you do, first come, first served? Is EE set up to not allow more the 89 entries? If not, and someone enters dogs 89 and 90, are they going to refund the entry? Which dog gets to run? We were 3 dogs shy of having to add a 3rd split to our master in June, only because one of our regular pros had knee surgery and was not able to come. He normally brings 12 dogs. We don't have the property to do that either. I'd sure like to know how this would work.
    There are few enough hunt tests in the area. To drop a 2nd Master test would not benefit nor encourage people to come to a way out of the way place such as Powers Butte. It is extremely rugged and very dry and not close to anything really. The 2nd Master test in my opinion gives it its draw. In past years when there was only one Master test, the entries were much much smaller.

Arleen