The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indoor Kennel Ideas

Senior Member RailRoadRetrievers's Avatar

Default Indoor Kennel Ideas

I keep kicking ideas around in my head about how to set something up in the near future and can't come up with a solid set of plans to even begin. I don't know really where to begin. What I do know is that I have a want list for the floor plan and such. What I don't know is the rest or even what to do for the rest. That's where I hope you guys can give me some ideas.

I have room for about a 20 x 30 building. My design should allow for six to 10 runs also an office on the first level, half bath, and I want a loft above for storage.

What I don't know is how to make the kennels able to be hosed out each day and not destroy the structure. So should it be wooden building with a concrete floor, vapor barrier over the interior insulation and hardi-plank over that (I have heard it can be washed often). Or should it be a metal building with metal studs and essentially the same set up on the finish out. I have also thought about doing about a four foot concrete wall for each kennel, to protec the structure. But how much cost would that be? What about drainage, each kennel with its own drain or hose it to a center point? There is no way to tie into the city sewage from where this structure should be, so I would most likely have to have a small septic. I also am not sure about heating and electric, should I do window units or central air and heat for a more consistent cooling in the summer time. I don't really have any idea how to go about this or what kind of building to even consider looking into. Any help or suggestions or things I didn't think of please help me out. Cost is important, but it is best to figure up cost before I start really diving into this project.

I have ideas and wants, but just don't know how to find them on the internet to really put the ideas on paper.

The half walls made out of block/concrete are the way to go. Never have to worry about the water at the base of your walls. Get a bigger septic tank than you think, hosing down kennels twice a day adds up fast. Make kennels slope to a channel infront and then slope that to a single drain, this will allow you to pick up solids after they dry outside of kenne if you desire. Window A/C work but electric bill get big, recomend the Mitsubishi unit A/Cs. We used chemboard, the stuff used in dairy barns, for the inside can be hosed off and bleached.

What I did is put two courses of block at the edge of a monolithic slab, blocks at perimeter are connected to slab with # 4 re-bar @ 4' placed into the footing and tied to the perimeter beam of the slab. Then build your walls on top @ 16" above finished floor. Use PTreated wood at sill. If you use metal studs request G-90 coating. I would stay away from Hardi-Board and use either dur-rock or wonder-board there is no cellulose filler. There is a really neat recycled plastic that is very economical from Sandhill plastic. You can order any size and a continuous roll if you prefer. It's made from re-cycled milk jugs. cover the walls as high as you feel necessary. The plastic drains by Aco are available with a built in pitch they work great for this. You can slope the slab any pitch you want and pitch the water/waste a different direction so it gives you lots of latitude in design! Happy building!

Can I get some picture examples?

We designed our building to have roll up doors on all 4 sides. It is HOT here in SC and the air flow in the building can be controlled/adjusted as well as sun exposure.

There is a pitch in toward the center interior with a drain running almost the length of the building piped to am exterior french drain. Our dogs are aired plenty and sleep inside so, we do not use our drain like septic - its only for “gray water.”

We have added a 3’ concrete sidewalk around 2 sides of the building an 12’ patios on the front and rear... this winter we plan to build a lean-to over those areas to help shed water and to be able to enjoy sitting out back with the dogs.

Suggest - a HIGHer ceiling and light color roof if you live where its hot. Our building stays remarkably cool in the summer.

If you start with a pre-fab steel building the sky should be your limit for interior build-out (office, loft etc...) In the future we plan to do a 1/2 loft and my husband has his home gym in the building as well. We currently have 6 “runs” (5 X 5) and a Puppy pen (8 X 6) but our floor plan allows us to put an addition 3 5 x 5’s if we wanted to ad them.

DSC_0061.jpgDSC_0501.jpgDSC_0499.jpgDSC_0500.jpg
    Last edited by runnindawgz; 09-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    Danielle R. Pellicci
    http://www.blackFootkennels.com
    Home of:
    SPICE, MH (11) CD (GN1) RA OA NAJ
    (FC AFC “Cori” X Malli QAA)
    FEATHER, MH QAA
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X “Spice” MH CD RA OA NAJ)
    PENNY, CD BN RN SH
    (FC AFC CAFC “Copper” X “Faith” MH QA2)
    CAPPY
    (2XNAFC FC AFC HOF “Ram” X “Cree”)
    HALO
    (FC AFC “Kicker” X“Spice” MH CD RA OA NAJ)
    TORCH
    (HRCH “Ticket” MH X“Penny” CD BN RN SH)
    &
    RIP: Rhumbline’s Guinness is Good, JH... Miss you every day "Big Man"

Wondering about the septic tank idea. Knew a guy that had a septic tank for his beagle kennels. He kept about 20 to 25 dogs at a time plus puppies. His only problem was the hair that washed into the tank would plug it if he did not have it cleaned about every two months. Any one else have this problem?

this is what I think would work well for you wood building with steel siding dog kennel.jpg
    Justin E Schneider

Xtreme's 30 Rounds N' 1 Full Maggie SH
    Foundation's One Up the Sleeve
    Foundation's Rolling Thunder

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail." -- Josh Billings

A good friend will always help you out, a dog treated right will never leave your side - ME

For what it's worth, the boarding kennel/dog daycare building I built is on a wood frame, metal siding, concrete floor with drains cut in. I used hardi-plank board over pressure treated wood frame to build my kennel stalls. Kennel stalls are 6 ft high, leaving room between top of stall walls and ceiling for ventilation. I use chain link gates for the entrance to each kennel. The hardi plank walls work for us because it never gets hot where I live - chain link walls may be better for hot climate.

The hardi-plank gets washed with a power hose and bleach solution everyday for the last four years and it holds up great. I painted it with garage floor paint to seal it.

My building is on city sewer system, but I had researched the septic tank idea for a different property and it definitely would work. Not sure how long your dogs would be kenneled, but the dogs I get are circulated outside often enough not to poo inside the kennel - meaning there is very little solid waste to put down the drain. When one does poo inside, I scoop it with tools and put it in the outside garbage cans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhenion View Post
    For what it's worth, the boarding kennel/dog daycare building I built is on a wood frame, metal siding, concrete floor with drains cut in. I used hardi-plank board over pressure treated wood frame to build my kennel stalls. Kennel stalls are 6 ft high, leaving room between top of stall walls and ceiling for ventilation. I use chain link gates for the entrance to each kennel. The hardi plank walls work for us because it never gets hot where I live - chain link walls may be better for hot climate.

The hardi-plank gets washed with a power hose and bleach solution everyday for the last four years and it holds up great. I painted it with garage floor paint to seal it.

My building is on city sewer system, but I had researched the septic tank idea for a different property and it definitely would work. Not sure how long your dogs would be kenneled, but the dogs I get are circulated outside often enough not to poo inside the kennel - meaning there is very little solid waste to put down the drain. When one does poo inside, I scoop it with tools and put it in the outside garbage cans.
    I have two dogs right now that no matter how long they are in the airing yard will wait until they are back in their kennel to poop and then they like to step on it and make sure its good and stuck to the floor. They do it out of spite I think

Quote Originally Posted by RailRoadRetrievers View Post
    I have two dogs right now that no matter how long they are in the airing yard will wait until they are back in their kennel to poop and then they like to step on it and make sure its good and stuck to the floor. They do it out of spite I think
    Couple a stinkers, eh? That's never fun...