The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fast and Furious Conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Worth repeating. Cody is right.

In Wide Receiver, the guns had gsps installed, the guns were tracked on both sides of the border because Mexico was involved in the operation. Arrests were made. When it was discovered that the bad guys learned about the gsps and removed them from the guns, the Wide Receiver operation was terminated. A little over 300 guns were involved and many were recovered.

In Fast and Furious, Mexico was not told and not included in the operation. Over 2,000 guns walked across the border and were not tracked at all. The F & F operation continued until our border agent Terry was killed. And then the DOJ denied that guns had walked. Took them 8 months before they admitted it.

Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious were totally different operations. Do your homework and take time to research both operations so you know how different they were.'

The Oversight Hearing on the inspector general's report is tomorrow morning. I hope they ask the IG about Lanny Breuer's involvement and why he got a pass in the report when documents prove he knew all about it.

Helen
    All I was reporting is that it is over....and that you needed to look for something else to bash the president with

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    All I was reporting is that it is over....and that you needed to look for something else to bash the president with
    Looks like it aint over til the fat lady(uh AG) sings!

So let me get this straight ... the OIG at the Department of Justice has cleared the head of the Department of Justice?

Somehow I don't think this is really over.....

unfortunately, it probably IS over.... this administration will commit whatever crimes necessary to achieve re election.

And that will include burying this story and clearing Holder.
    "I'm gonna lean up against you, and you lean up against me. That way we don't hafta sleep with our heads in the mud"
    Forrest Gump, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by dixidawg View Post
    So let me get this straight ... the OIG at the Department of Justice has cleared the head of the Department of Justice?

Somehow I don't think this is really over.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ARay11 View Post
    unfortunately, it probably IS over.... this administration will commit whatever crimes necessary to achieve re election.

And that will include burying this story and clearing Holder.
    And there are people like our resident "Bob Beckel" that are ok with this!
    CPR HRCH Scott's Sweet Brandy
    Kankakee River HRC
    NRA Life Member
    Pheasants Forever
    Delta Waterfowl

The report said: "We reviewed the wiretap affidavits in both Operation Wide Receiver and
    Operation Fast and Furious and concluded that the affidavits in both cases included information that would have caused a prosecutor who was focused on the question of investigative tactics, particularly one who was already sensitive to the issue of 'gun walking,' to have questions about ATF's conduct of the investigations," the report said.

Horowitz (the IG) repeated that claim Thursday, saying: "If you were focused and looking at the question of gunwalking you would read these reports and see many red flags."

Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, said Holder's testimony from earlier this year was a "direct contradiction" to that.
    Holder said at the time: "I've looked at these affidavits. I've looked at these summaries. There's nothing in those affidavits as I've reviewed them that indicates that gunwalking was allowed. Let's get to the bottom line -- so I didn't see anything in there that would put on notice a person who was reviewing either at the line level or at the deputy assistant attorney general level, that you would have knowledge of the fact that these inappropriate tactics were being used."

Gowdy said that in light of that testimony, the IG's conclusion was "startling."

But a Justice Department official said Holder's statements to Congress were accurate, noting that, "the affidavits do not explicitly and clearly say gun-walking" and claiming the IG report doesn't allege that either. (What the IG said was that any smart prosecutor should have seen the significance. Sort of like Clinton saying he didn't have sex with that woman? Depends on your "interpretation.")

Gowdy also questioned how employees under Breuer were being disciplined while Breuer so far has not been in any serious way.

"How does he escape discipline?" Gowdy asked.

The IG report criticized Breuer for not notifying Holder about Operation Wide Receiver, the prior Bush-era gunwalking investigation, when he first learned about it in 2010.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...#ixzz272CiaG45
    One legislator explained it as: "...passengers charged with speeding; driver exonerated."
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    One legislator explained it as: "...passengers charged with speeding; driver exonerated."

It appears that the OIG was allowed to go only so far up the DOJ chain of command. So Lanny Breuer at the DOJ is criticized only for not telling his immediate boss Holder about Wide Receiver. Wide Receiver? Lanny Breuer knew about Fast and Furious. What about that operation?

Helen

From CBS News today:
    Another weapon from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agency's controversial Operation Fast and Furious was recently recovered at a Mexican crime scene, CBS News has learned. Congressional investigators say the crime scene was likely where a recent shootout took place between reported Sinaloa drug cartel members and the Mexican military, in which Sinaloa beauty queen Maria Susana Flores Gamez and four others were killed.

According to Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, the Justice Department did not notify Congress of the Fast and Furious firearm recovery in November, even though Grassley has requested an accounting of weapons that surface from the case. During Fast and Furious, ATF allowed more than 2,000 weapons, including giant .50-caliber guns, to fall into the hands of Mexican drug cartels and other criminals. Other so-called "gunwalking" operations by ATF let hundreds more guns hit the street. Most of them have never been recovered.

The latest known recovery is a Romanian AK-47-type WASR-10 rifle. It was picked up at a crime scene Nov. 23 in Ciudad Guamuchil, Sinaloa, Mexico. That's the same area and weekend of the shootout involving Flores Gamez's death. A trace report shows the rifle was purchased by Uriel Patino, the Fast and Furious suspect who allegedly bought more than 700 weapons while under ATF's watch. Records show Patino bought the rifle and nine other semi-automatic rifles at an Arizona gun shop March 16, 2010.

Grassley has sent a letter to the Justice Department requesting more information, and asking whether the officials were planning to notify Congress "that a Fast and Furious weapon had been recovered."

The Justice Department provided no immediate response to CBS News.
    The shootout involving Gamez had been reported by CBS News on 11/27/12, but the fact that a gun found at the scene was from the Fast & Furious operation was just reported today.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Fast & Furious is over. Much the same as Iran-Contra is over...JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

Just for the heck of it, do a search on

"fast & furious mexican massacre"

Read & learn..............
    Stan b & Elvis