RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Western Montana

10K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
The Open is starting with a triple with two retired. The field has lots of tall cover and the dogs disappear in places including the area where the long bird falls. The first bird down is the short retired in the middle thrown left to right. The long bird to the right is thrown second right to left and tightly pinched to the middle bird. The holding blind and fall for the long one are beyond a ditch with water. There are stands of tall tules and grasses enroute to both retired marks. The flyer is on the left shot left to right. The flyer and the middle bird are similar in distance. The entire test is about 45 degrees in separation between the flyer guns and the long gunner. It's a tight test but not particularly long.

The dogs have been having no problem with the flyer other than a little hunting in the heavy cover. The majority of the dogs are backsiding the middle gunner but coming up with the bird. They seem to be thrown left behind the gun by the tall stand of tules enroute. The dogs have taken a variety of routes to the long mark including backsiding the bushes to the back of the gunner and following the ditch to the mark and going wide to the left over the ditch and then ending up with the bird. Some have gotten lost in the fields beyond the ditch and others have not punched across the ditch to the bird. It is hard to tell exactly what is happening once the dog crosses the ditch. They disappear and are not seen again until they reappear with the bird.

I heard the Qual is a double and a blind. They initially were going to retire the memory mark but the cover was so high, they left the gunner up although the dogs can't see where they are going once they get into the cover anyway.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
I would like to thank the Western Montana Retriever Club for their hospitality. They put on an excellent trial with great help. The thrower's and shooter's were second to none. The accomodations at Mark & Kathy Scott's place were nice and relaxing.

I would also like to thank Barb Furlano & John Pampy for going above & beyond to keep the AM moving and get it completed on time... you two were amazing and I neglected to tell you that before you left the grounds yesterday.

A special mention goes out to Jerry VanderZanden who makes the judges gifts which are wood bowls from the various types of wood found in the area. Mine was a beautiful bowl made of Box Elder. Thank you Jerry.

Anyone who like to eat as much as I do would surely appreciate the fine lunches that were made and delivered by Betsy Potter. The sandwhiches alone were so big that I (almost) couldn't eat the rest of the lunch... But the cookies and other items in the bag were so good I could not resist. I've only seen one other club anywhere come close to providing lunches like that for the judges and help in all the time I've been around the game. They were very much appreciated... Thanks Betsy!

Lastly, thanks to my co-judge, Ron Adlington. It was a pleasure. You were fun to judge with.

#33 ·
I would like to thank the Western Montana Retriever Club for their hospitality. They put on an excellent trial with great help. The thrower's and shooter's were second to none. The accomodations at Mark & Kathy Scott's place were nice and relaxing.

I would also like to thank Barb Furlano & John Pampy for going above & beyond to keep the AM moving and get it completed on time... you two were amazing and I neglected to tell you that before you left the grounds yesterday.

A special mention goes out to Jerry VanderZanden who makes the judges gifts which are wood bowls form the various types of wood found in the area. Mine was a beautiful bowl made of Box Elder. Thank you Jerry.

Lastly, thanks to my co-judge, Ron Adlington. It was a pleasure. You were fun to judge with.
Thank you Bill for making it a fun trial for us to run. Very nice test but just as important from a handlers standpoint is the judges demenor. Some judges are uptight and inbude a whole tense atmosphere at the line which makes it hard for a handler to relax and run his dog, you guys were relaxed and set up an atmosphere where we felt you were rooting for the dog to do well. I wish Gus hadn't broken in that last series, would of loved to see if he could do that test.

John

#35 ·
Can't wait to get back again...
Well, buy a puppy and getcherazz to training. Can't start any sooner. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.