The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Junior Hunt Test Question

Default First Junior Hunt Test Question

Hello All - I am new to this board and this is my first post.

I am considering entering my 13 Month old lab into a JH Hunt Test in 2 weeks.

I have never even attended one of these and had a few questions.

Do you think its a bad idea to enter my dog the first time I ever come to an event or should I come watch one before entering? Are they open for people to come "Watch"?

How long does it usually run if it Starts at 8AM? Do I stay the whole time or until my run is over or either one?

Will other dogs be close by distracting the running dogs or are they separated?

Also- How do "Drops" work on the JH Portion... Lets say my dogs gets the bird, comes out of the water, shakes, drops it accidently, picks it up and returns to heal and delivers to hand... is that a pass or fail?

Suppose he drops the bird while running back out of excitement, picks it up and retrieves to hand?

Thank you for all the help... this is very new to me.

-DropinBack

welcome to the RTF dropback!
    yes it would be good to watch first, but many do not. at least tell the marshal when you check in and watch as many dogs as able afore ya run yours.
    Yes your gonna stay all day 'cause MOST juniors will do the land retrieves first for all the dogs entered. THEN judges will look at the pages and Call Back the dogs that did not crash and burn on the land test, for the water test. Bring a lunch.
    Yes there will be lots of other dogs, and smells and trucks and noise and shot guns in the background and ducks from crates a quacking. It's gonna be so cool, you dog will be higher than you even seen.
    Drops can be anything from a minor fault, hardly noted. To, if repeated hundreds of times with you standing above Rover yelling fetch, fetch, fetch, fetch! Your gone, sorry.

Have you read the regs and guidelines?
    Has anyone seen your dog work, that has gone to a test?
    It is more better to not enter until you know you can pass. It don't mean you will pass, dogs will be dogs. The thumb rule is if your dog is doing work above the level of test, enter the test. If you need to bring your prayer book and rosary beads to the running line, save the $75 and the gas in the truck and keep training.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken- Thanks for the response. I am certain he can do the 4 retrieves... but, there is a chance, especially with all the distractions, what he will get so excited that he drops the bird bc he will be running 10000 MPH haha.... but he will pick it right back up and return to me at heal, sit, and then give it to me. If thats a pass, he can surely do it. Is one drop a pass as long as they return to heal?

What about bank running on the water retrieves?

Yes, i have read the rules... but they kind of contradict themselves haha...

Thanks for your help. Any other opinions are greatly appreciated!

I am interested in JH tests as well. I just finished up SHR and want to move to AKC to do that as well. I will be watching this thread for details.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

SHR Kerrybrook's Trollady Hero With Fire
    SHR Kelrobin Trollady's Murphy CGC

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
    Hunters Safety Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    .... but he will pick it right back up and return to me at heal, sit, and then give it to me. If thats a pass, he can surely do it. Is one drop a pass as long as they return to heal?

What about bank running on the water retrieves?......!
    yes, that is a pass. Even the "Junior Flop" can be a pass with some judges. That is when the junior handler lunges forward like a football reciever getting hands under duck as it comes out of dogs mouth just feet in front of handler. This can be very funny when the running line is sloppy and muddy and the handler is brand new and fashion challenged. Makes watching juniors fun!
    and bank running. It is JUNIOR!! Most judges with try to have square entries into the water. But it happens. More often on the way back than on the way out. Unless your pup is a Golden Retriever.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken- Thanks for the response. I am certain he can do the 4 retrieves... but, there is a chance, especially with all the distractions, what he will get so excited that he drops the bird bc he will be running 10000 MPH haha.... but he will pick it right back up and return to me at heal, sit, and then give it to me. If thats a pass, he can surely do it. Is one drop a pass as long as they return to heal?
    That is a pass

What about bank running on the water retrieves?
    Good judges will set it up so that it is practically impossible for the dog to run the bank to the bird on a JH. That said, they might have to deal with the water they are given and it might be possible. It is not so much whether the dog will pass if it does it but do you want to let your dog know it is okay to do this. Lots of folks will decide it is not worth possibly teaching a bad habit and scratch their dogs if the test is cheaty. They should get wet on the water part but a great many pass who do not.

All great info... Thanks... keep it coming...

He will come sit next to me eventually... just is a factor if he gets so excited that he takes a circle around me on his way back... or drops and picks up... but if this is ok... he SHOULD pass...

Sound like you will have a lot of fun, try not be to nerves, better said then done When I first started, I did go to a few before I started running, but I am a control freak and wanted to know exactly what I was getting myself into. thinking back, it would of made no differencee, The water is fine and the people are vary nice. Try to find some time to watch the other classes run. Once I did that I was hooked and the folks I meet where already doing the reeling me in gestures.
    Have fun

how is your dog with live birds?

He is fine with live birds and dead birds and wounded birds... but wont they all be dead/launched birds in the JR?

Unfortunately, he hasnt been around to many life birds... as this will be his first season hunting wild birds...