The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: First Junior Hunt Test Question

Quote Originally Posted by JepDog View Post
    Bring a whistle, a duck call and waterproof shoes/boots. Water for your dog, a chair for yourself and as mentioned food and drink.
    Regarding the test, birds, water, distractions, terrain...Prepare for everything and expect anything!

Good luck!
    It is customary to bring cookies, brownies or some other treat for the judges and other handlers when you run your first Junior test. Don't forget that or you will be ostracized from the HT community.

Thanks for the advice haha ...

Are spectators welcome?

yes they are, dress in drab/dark colors. bring a chair, bug spray sun goo and raincoat.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    Hello All - I am new to this board and this is my first post.

I am considering entering my 13 Month old lab into a JH Hunt Test in 2 weeks.

I have never even attended one of these and had a few questions.

Do you think its a bad idea to enter my dog the first time I ever come to an event or should I come watch one before entering? Are they open for people to come "Watch"?

How long does it usually run if it Starts at 8AM? Do I stay the whole time or until my run is over or either one?

Will other dogs be close by distracting the running dogs or are they separated?

Also- How do "Drops" work on the JH Portion... Lets say my dogs gets the bird, comes out of the water, shakes, drops it accidently, picks it up and returns to heal and delivers to hand... is that a pass or fail?

Suppose he drops the bird while running back out of excitement, picks it up and retrieves to hand?

Thank you for all the help... this is very new to me.

-DropinBack
    We signed our first dog up for a NAHRA Started HT (basically the same thing as AKC Junior) without ever having seen one. My wife and I drove over to Spokane WA expecting the event to be on some big Polo ground, or something with a parking lot, grand stands, rest rooms and snack bars. As for the test, fortunately I had trained with a guy who had run a few so we knew what to train for. My dog earned two Started ribbons and a Title that weekend, so we were hooked. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DropinBack View Post
    Thanks for the advice haha ...
    That wasn't a joke, judges LOVE treats...

Edit:Please don't bring the "special" brownies, that was a disaster...
    Last edited by Duckquilizer; 09-24-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    That wasn't a joke, judges LOVE treats......
    after the last dog has run and the folks out in the field that have been tossing all day start lugging in the gear. pull a bucket like this out of your truck.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Great thread! Has me more than excited for our first JH, but also lets me know how much more work we need to do!
    Matthew Ries, Pharm.D.

Poole's Matador's Maggie May (04/14/2012 - Present)
    Lacakota Super Magnum (02/20/2002 - 07/2010)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
    Welcome to RTF. Below is my very first AKC junior hunt test (water series) and it was only 3 years ago. As you can see by my white hair I got a late start in this game but having a blast doing it. The very best of luck to you. I apologize for the camera work, it’s hard to get good help when you only have family to pick from.

http://youtu.be/d1cHW6r9qZQ
    LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!!!!!
    I glazed over this earlier and did not view! All the new kids need to watch this short vid! Great set up, decoys, duck calls, a "ducky" looking spot! It is just great! You musta been worried during that long hunt on the 2nd bird! and yes slap your camera man!!! You have a happy dawg!

DropinBack, if you haven't done so, you might want to get together with a training group at least once and simulate a junior test before you actually enter a real test. Most clubs have at least one monthly training day in which they do such simulations and many clubs offer the one free training day for potential new members. The reason this is important is that many times dogs act entirely different at a test than when you are training at home by yourself. There are so many distractions, smells, noises, people, dogs, etc.. One training day with a group where you are with people who know exactly how things go at a test can really help you and you will see how your dog reacts to everything. If all goes well then you can go into the test with much more confidence. If not then you know what things you need to work on to get ready. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll do fine!