RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

A big brag for Gold Rudy...

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Judy Chute 
#1 · (Edited)
My buddy Dave Cheatum's eleven years and eight month old Golden (Ram River Rock'n Rudy) just got second place in a very tough 71 dog Open over the weekend. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that Rudy was pretty much retired to the couch at his home in Phoenix AZ for the past two years. Dave kept telling me that Rudy was looking great, very fit and frisky for a dog of any age, so he was thinking about sending him off for a month of training then take him with our other three dogs to the Golden Specialty. I was skeptical but not after I saw Rudy in training. He looks and runs like a five year old, but with the savy of an old vet who has seen it all. Rudy ran well at the Specialty but didn't get called back from the water blinds, so Dave entered him at the Charlo trial last weekend. He's also entered in Spokane next weekend, who knows, a win would qualify him for the National and title him, I've seen stranger things happen.

Congrats Dave, Rudy is an inspriation.

#3 ·
Go Rudy Go. I too have seen stranger things happen John.
By the way you stated Rudy is 11 1/2 months old instead of years!

Congrats Dave and Rob and Rudy.

#5 ·
Got to see him in training before the trial and was amazed he was 11 yrs 8 months. Sure did not run like it. Congratulations, Rudy!!

#6 ·
Rudy is a terrific dog. I had my Travel trailer parked next to Linda Brown's when Rudy was a young pup. I fell in love with him then. Would have bought him but lacked the funds. I was so happy when Dave bought him.

#11 ·
Pretty dang special.

#20 ·
I second that....

Also, that you are going to finally breed him :) ... good for you and to the bitch of your choice!!!!

Good Luck in his upcoming trials...and treasure him will doing so.

Judy

#14 ·
Rudy

Was just talking to Rob (handler) as Rudy was getting ready to head to line. Rob was concerned if Rudy could handle the big swims at his age but felt his experience and wisdom could prove to be a big advantage----and it was!!! Everyone on the grounds was delighted to hear about how well Rudy did. It was a very, very demanding test.

Glenda

#16 ·
Thanks everyone for their kind words. John was right...I kept looking at Rudy and he still seemed fit. I never let my dogs overeat and gain excess weight like all the dogs I see going on walks with their owners around the neighborhood. I was really torn to try to give him a few weeks of training and go to the National. I still am trying to be careful with his health. When Rob saw him ...he tested his eyes....400 yard long bird in a triple and he stepped up...looked past the short birds and locked on
long bird. I was also worried about hearing. Rob called me and set I am amazed at his fitness. I always hoped that when he got older he would slow enough of the fire in him that he might be a little more under control on the blinds. At the specialty he marked awesome..then to do 8 out of 8 series in his first two opens was a delight! I am going to try a few more. He has a number of seconds...praying for a win! I wish he was 4 again...

Dave

#18 ·
There is always a story behind every placement, but this is special and inspiring. Rudy ended up in the very best home with you. You have his back the same way he has yours. He has nothing left to prove, but I hope you get that win!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

M

#17 ·
John thanks for the kind words...thanks for the great time of friendship and camaraderie at the specialty. Good times. Rudy is my favorite dog of all time. I am going to breed him for the first time this December to a BRO X Paws bitch that I own. No one ever wanted to breed to Rudy! We shall see what he throws?!

thanks Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.