The Sky is Falling Regards
    Don't look now. It just might be.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

If voting is a right reserved for citizens only, then why is it outrageous to verify that you are a citizen entitled to vote?

We give health care and economic aid to anyone, regardless of their citizenship status because we consider those basic rights to all human beings. However, the right to vote applies only to citizens of the US. If it were not so, we might as well pass out absentee ballots throughout the world and give them all a vote, too.

I also don't think it's so unreasonable either to have basic reading skills ... how do you read the name on the ballot if you do not have basic reading skills? A lot of elections contain votes for proposals of new laws or regulations. How do you vote on those if you don't have basic reading skills? Public education is provided for everyone. We should expect that education to give everyone AT LEAST some basic reading skills. If it doesn't do so, we should fix that!
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    If voting is a right reserved for citizens only, then why is it outrageous to verify that you are a citizen entitled to vote?

We give health care and economic aid to anyone, regardless of their citizenship status because we consider those basic rights to all human beings. However, the right to vote applies only to citizens of the US. If it were not so, we might as well pass out absentee ballots throughout the world and give them all a vote, too.

I also don't think it's so unreasonable either to have basic reading skills ... how do you read the name on the ballot if you do not have basic reading skills? A lot of elections contain votes for proposals of new laws or regulations. How do you vote on those if you don't have basic reading skills? Public education is provided for everyone. We should expect that education to give everyone AT LEAST some basic reading skills. If it doesn't do so, we should fix that!
    Basic reading skills doesn't go far enough. I'm not a Howard Stern fan but check our his interviews with Obama supporters. Pretty sad.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

No voter fraud at my district. At my district NO ID = NO VOTE you're turned away and told to return with picture ID, and your signature better match what they have on file when you sign in to enter the voting booth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    !
    Not outrageous at all. What is outrageous are the extremes they are going to. It harkens back to the Jim Crow days and poll taxes.

In MN, it is being estimated that it will cost at least 3 million to provide gov issued photo ID to those who do not have it, and an additional 1-1.5 mil per election to manage it. Not to mention all of the local elections. A social Securtity card or Veterans discharge papers will not suffice. Nor will a birth certificate. Only gov issued photo ID. This is going to an extreme for a non-isssue.

And for those of you opposed to more goverment, you should be up in arms over this. This adds another layer of goverment where it is clearly not needed, as well as a substantial cost to the tax payers.

Show me the Fraud Regards
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

I bet you wish we would go back to only men voting and then back to only land owners. That would do away with your problem with the women vote and the 47% Romney does not care about since a large percentage of them lost their homes and are renting until they get back on their feet.

O yea...back to when African Americans couldn't vote, because I don't think you expect many votes from that group either.

Quote Originally Posted by menmon View Post
    O yea...back to when African Americans couldn't vote, because I don't think you expect many votes from that group either.
    You have to have ID to buy a pack of cigarettes... stop and get a pack on the way to vote.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Golddogs View Post
    Not outrageous at all. What is outrageous are the extremes they are going to. It harkens back to the Jim Crow days and poll taxes.

In MN, it is being estimated that it will cost at least 3 million to provide gov issued photo ID to those who do not have it, and an additional 1-1.5 mil per election to manage it. Not to mention all of the local elections. A social Securtity card or Veterans discharge papers will not suffice. Nor will a birth certificate. Only gov issued photo ID. This is going to an extreme for a non-isssue.

And for those of you opposed to more goverment, you should be up in arms over this. This adds another layer of goverment where it is clearly not needed, as well as a substantial cost to the tax payers.

Show me the Fraud Regards
    That's ridiculous. Regardless of the voting laws, there is no good reason not to have a photo ID. Also, I know all the "everyone has a right to vote in this country" crap but if you are such a suck to society that you can't get a photo ID, stay the **** home.
    "The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    That's ridiculous. Regardless of the voting laws, there is no good reason not to have a photo ID. Also, I know all the "everyone has a right to vote in this country" crap but if you are such a suck to society that you can't get a photo ID, stay the **** home.
    Exactly! besides... wouldn't one have to have some sort of ID to apply for their welfare, foodstamps, etc...
    Bill Davis