RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

First dog and first hunt test.

8K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Joe Brakke 
#1 ·
Well i am going to the Big D hunt test down in Tennessee Colony this weekend and cant wait. This is my first dog and this is my first test. I am pretty confident that he will pass but i was wondering if anyone could give me some examples of what to expect. I know the rule book says they can have marks out to like 70 yards on land and 60 yards on water but wasnt sure if they allways go to that distance. So if you have any advice please let me know.

#2 ·
Just relax and have fun. Depends on the grounds and judges if they go the max. Only time I do is if I am on a golf course type of grounds. If I have a little cover I use that and do not go the max dist. Just remember once you pick up your first ribbon you are hooked for many years. My husband and I have been doing this since around March 1989.

#3 ·
They don't always go that distance. You should be having success running 50% further and with twice the factors in training before you start testing.

#4 ·
http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/showthread.php?89368-First-Junior-Hunt-Test-Question

Look at some of the suggestions in this thread that is also floating around about the OP's first test coming up. There is a lot of good advise in it.

Just try to train in a manner similar to the test set up and you should do ok. I know having your dog waiting in the kennel and then at each holding blind can be the challenge more so than the marks themselves. Like Captainjack said, train for marks that are longer that you think you will get and you should do ok.

I know we just did a double header this weekend, and each day was totally different. Saturday the water marks were only 35-40 yards and the land were a little longer because of the heavier cover involved. Sunday the second water mark was about a 50-55 yard swim after they got to the water and the land marks were 80-85 yards and 55-60 yards, because the cover was no where near as heavy.

Good luck and remember to have fun and learn out there, no matter what happens.

Mark

#5 ·
I am glad for this question, because I am in the same boat. We have done FF, Formal Obedience, and am working on pile work, he is doing exceptional in yard work and running to the pile 80 yards or so. He holds well, etc. HOWEVER our club just did a simulated hunt test in preperation for the October hunt test and we crashed and burn in our line manners and getting up to the line. I was devastated, disappointed, and feel like I should just scratch from the test so to not encourage bad behavior. I think that was something I didn't expect because my dog has been training so well and marking so well, but the other dogs, noise, holding blinds, etc. were so unlike our normal training situation that the distractions and excitement outweighed his current training level...

He is almost 11 months old.

#6 ·
I have one that is almost 6 yrs old. In training even with large groups her manors are great. Get to a hunt test and she is nuts. She will pull me to the holding blinds if she is on lead. Much better off lead but can't take that kind of chance at a test. You never know if she is going to sit or not for the honor. Does not matter how much we done it all goes out of her mine when she is on line. You can train for all kinds of issues but you never know which dog comes out of the truck at a hunt.

#7 ·
I have one that is almost 6 yrs old. In training even with large groups her manors are great. Get to a hunt test and she is nuts. She will pull me to the holding blinds if she is on lead. Much better off lead but can't take that kind of chance at a test. You never know if she is going to sit or not for the honor. Does not matter how much we done it all goes out of her mine when she is on line. You can train for all kinds of issues but you never know which dog comes out of the truck at a hunt.
The more I read, the more I see that that's not uncommon, something I need to work on, but not uncommon. My initial thought, since it's my first dog, was I must have screwed something up and was a total failure.... So there is hope!

#8 ·
That is what i am really worried about. When we work at the house and all, he does great on marks and manners even in the holding blind that we set up but i am worried that when he gets to the hunt test he is gonna go ape $**t and all. I am sure i am over reacting because he really is a calm dog anyway But i am also worried that when we are out there i dont want him to get distracted and leave the mark. I am not going to say that he will or that he will not. I have only had him refuse to pick up a duck once and i am pretty sure it was because that thing stunk to high heaven. NO OFFENCE BUD.....but once we got a good duck out there he did great. I just dont want that to happen at the test. Like i said i think i am just really overthinking this way to much and that i will be fine.

#11 ·
So if you have any advice please let me know.
Have a GREAT time, meet lots of people, and relax! I haven't been doing the test game ALL that long but I guarantee you it's pretty much messed me up pretty bad! (in a good way). Talk about the worst addiction Ive ever had.

Good luck. Like Captain jack said, be training and working on distances much greater than the max, with more cover and factors than they will generally throw at you. Make sure OB is TIGHT and have fun. You always want your dog to be UNDERwhelmed on test days. But there are a lot of things you will see, hear, and put your dog in situations that are hard to mimic in training.

#12 ·
To Have a Great Time and Build Memories for Your Career

You'll be on the Best Grounds in Texas ... absolutely beautiful ... you have some great Judges who have stood in the Started Holding blind ... I doubt you see maximum distance bit won't know until day of so train for it ... be sure your pup is reliable with feathers ... In HRC Started delivery is to the "Area" p\of the handler, be sure to ask what that means if the judges don't say, if not made available ask for a bird to introduce your pup to freshly euthanized ducks [we use CO2 and sometimes the dogs react differently ... take your time from the blind to the line ... you'll be on lead and able to demand obedience...no one’s holding a stopwatch ... slow down ... breath and have a good time ... hope to see ya there ... I'll be judging Seasoned both days and hopefully enjoying the Party ... look me up if you get a chance ... take a look at the upper level tests to get an idea of what’s going on, don’t be shy if you have any questions ask, one things dog folks give freely is advice weather they use it is another matter … welcome to the sport ... build a great memory for the rest of your career ...

#13 ·
I went to a test a couple weeks ago and i was glad i didnt run out there. Cactus everywhere. People were having to pull thorns and stuff out of there dogs legs and feet after every run. I couldnt believe it. So i really hope the grounds are better than that. We did let him mess with a duck the other day and he had no problem with the feathers so that i am thankful for cause it was his first time to see a duck. I really think that he will do well and the guy that is helping me said that if we fail it will be because of me not my dog. He is the one that told me that he thought my dog was ready so i decided to listen to him. But either way i guess i cant complain either way for a dog that only cost me the gas from burleson to corsicana.....

#14 ·
I would suggest going out and buying the most expensive duck call. Put a lot of snuff in your mouth. Blow all of it into your duck call. Get some very expensive camo. I heard your judges will be judging half of your score on your camo fashion. You must wear face paint to the line, don't forget that, very critical!!!
Eat a bunch of greasy food the night before too. :)
You're going to be fine you freak!!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
Well about the duck call i know a feller that has this really pretty wooden call that sounds awesome. His son told me i could use it but that it only works right if you have a dip in your lip. Just left academy and went and bought camo so that is covered. Facepaint well these ducks are already dead i hope so i dont think they will fly away if they see me.
Thanks guys i needed a laugh today.....this has to be the longest week ever for me.

#16 ·
Just go and try to have fun. Don't be surprised when the dog that comes out of your truck acts like a maniac that you just picked up at the pound.

Lonster

#19 ·
OK so you'll be the guy in new camo with a brown dog and trying to knock a dip out of Shawns call ... I'll find ya ... the site with the cactus is in West Texas and it is waht it is ... dosn't take dogs long to figure out where it comes from but recomend you carry tweezers with you anywhere west of Dallas ... have fun and bring your rain coat and rubber boots for Saturday Morning ... ~.25 inch of rain winds NNE 5 - 8 ...

#20 ·
lol yep that will be me. not very hard to spot anyway lol.....i got to laughing about the deal with the camo cause i told me wife that my camo had to match so i went and bought all new camo, well everything but a jacket cause i didnt think that i would need it but i think i will be ok i dont mind getting a little wet. Almost had to go buy a new pair of boots cause i couldnt find mine at the house but i called a guy that i took deer hunting last year and he had them at his house. 1 year later lol.

#24 ·
im assuming your running a started hrc test.i have only played this game 3 years but have seen a couple tests . ive seen those distances ,but ive also seen much much shorter distances also.. good luck and just have fun, you and the dog... let us know how it turns out!!!!!

#25 ·
Well i just thought i would let you guys know that we did not pass. We did great on the land marks but he refused to get the water marks even after he swam almost all the way out to them. I dont know what happened. He is usually really great and i have never had any problems with im in the water before. I guess it is going to take some more work. I have until feb to get him ready for the next test and i hope by then he is doing great.

#27 ·
Sorry about you not passing but you learned a valuable lesson. "A DOG IS A DOG IS A DOG" I like to tease the folks running under me in AKC that a $2.00 can of BLACK spray paint will improve a choco dawgs IQ by 50 points......LOL. The game should be FUN and a pass or fail is not a life or death situation. Did I mention HAVE FUN this game is intended to be fun. You might as well have fun as for sure your dog will.

#28 ·
Sorry to hear that. Yep a dog is a dog. Me and my dog failed a season test so bad one time that I was so embarrassed that I walked off the line offering to sell him for $10. He's now a hrch, etc. Had toearn to keep my temper in check and that there's always next time. Good luck and keep trying

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.