The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eukanuba Breeder Bag Price Increase

Junior Member Cuivre River Retrievers's Avatar

Thumbs down Eukanuba Breeder Bag Price Increase

I just got a call from my Eukanuba sales rep that they are going to be increasing the cost per bag by $7 starting October 1st - a 16% increase.

Add this to the recent discontinuation of the buy 20 bags, get two free and it looks like the cost of feeding Eukanuba just went up over 25% in the last three months.

Needless to say I will not be tolerating this increase and will be looking at other options.........so...........what other quality foods are out there and what are you currently paying for them?
    Brett

www.cuivreriverretrievers.com

HR Black Forest Relentless Pursuit
    HRCH Brwnwaterdog Ugottabelieve
    GMPR HRCH Cuivre Rivers Playin for Keeps SH
    HRCH Breakwater Black Velvet Rose MH
    HRCH Cuivre River's Kays Bossy Autumn SH

"If a man is really intelligent, there is nothing a good dog can't teach him, if he pays attention"

I have three dogs now switched from the Euk PP to the Pro Pac High Performance. (3-4mos now) I am very very happy with the results.Stools good, coats very good and weight good. In fact one girl maintains her weight better on the new food. Dogs are doing as well on it as they were on the Euk. Have not yet switched my stud dogs but it may happen once the increase happens...
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

I swapped last month when my cost went up. I love the results I got from Euk but won't pay that much, don't see how anyone can pay what most high end foods are off the retail shelf.

PMI Exclusive. Buy 8 get one free. I get it at my local coop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuivre River Retrievers View Post
    I just got a call from my Eukanuba sales rep that they are going to be increasing the cost per bag by $7 starting October 1st - a 16% increase.

Add this to the recent discontinuation of the buy 20 bags, get two free and it looks like the cost of feeding Eukanuba just went up over 25% in the last three months.

Needless to say I will not be tolerating this increase and will be looking at other options.........so...........what other quality foods are out there and what are you currently paying for them?
    Have you checked what commodity prices are, get ready for some serious inflation

I posted this elsewhere, but felt it also fit well here, dealing with rising costs of food for both us and the dogs:

Continuing on a thread about rising dog food costs....not to depress everyone, but for 2012-2013 they are going to keep going up, for us and for the dogs.

Farmers get a lot of flack about receiving subsidies and blame for things, I thought I'd send some links as to why costs are going up and to make everyone think about WHERE their food (both ingredients for dog food and our food) are going to have to come from some day. It's something to be concerned about.

Here is a link to why costs are going up, the excerpt I have below is from that link:

Four Reasons for Long-term Food Price Inflation

Grocery prices have risen 2-3% each year between 1990-2011. There are four global policy shifts that are causing this inflation in world food prices.

First, the U.S. government subsidizes corn production that is used for bio-fuels. This takes corn out of the food supply, raising prices.

Second, the World Trade Organization (WTO) limits the amount of corn and wheat that the U.S. and European Union (EU) can subsidize and store in stockpiles. This reduces the cushion available to add to the food supply when there are shortages, thus adding to food price volatility.

Third, as more people around the world are growing more affluent, they eat more meat. Grains are going to feed the animals that provide meat, further reducing the supply and increasing price volatility.

Fourth, higher oil prices lead to higher food prices. Food is transported great distances, especially if imported. Higher oil and gas prices increase shipping costs, which translates into higher food prices.

Full article: http://useconomy.about.com/od/inflat...es-So-High.htm

FIFTH Reason? Drought. See this:

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/e-newsl...170762516.html

So, why should you be concerned? If you notice a price change in your dogs food? See if the company has sourced ingredients from someplace different. Everyone wants cheap food.....companies are going to try and keep it cheap, thus use alternative sources, either imports or cheap ingredient substitutes. So...remember the Diamond food fiasco? Something to keep an eye on...Food is a national security risk that we don't pay enough attention to.

Hope this interests somebody...

As to where I come from? I work in Agriculture with veterinarians, beef and dairy producers. They are struggling and costs will be pushed up to the consumer.

Sue Puff
    Sue Puffenbarger
    Wirtz, VA
    www.boynelabradors.com

Good post Sue. I work in the fruit industry, and am curious if the row croppers are having to go thru all the Food Safety audits, etc that are forced upon my growers/clients, I have to think that too is adding to the bottom line. It's getting ridiculous anymore. And yet, do we really think the Chinese, Mexicans, etc are having to clear these hoops too? Doubtful.
    Canidae went up $3 recently, and I feel fortunate that this was the first hike in 2 yrs. Ingredients are all US still. Hope it stays that way. And I managed to get 4 bags of Euk puppy before the P&G increase for upcoming litters. But as Sue says, it's not going to be getting any better by the looks of it.

Its only going to get worse. I witched from Nutro to loyall saves about 2 to 3 dallors per bag. Its the same protien and fat content as PPP. I get great results from it and I run HRC. I get it at Orchelns in Warrenton Mo.

Looking into switching as well, never liked the pink bag anyway, researching several brands however, no-one actually puts out the price for the food on the web. Grrr

An Article which is helping separate the good from the bad.

Nutritional needs of a Performance Bird dog
    http://www.wec.ufl.edu/floridaquail/...BIRD%20DOG.pdf
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)