RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Another New color doe Labs?

5K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Montview 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have a friend interested in getting himself a dog. since I have a Lab and a GSP i'm partal to those two breeds. (I'm trying to let him choose his dog himself but do pass along suggestions and some possibilities) I was surfing online today and came upon a Labrador ad for a "Champagne" Lab. Honestly. it looked like a yellow Lab to me but the breeder had the much discussed "silver" and "Charcoal" as well which I have already read and heard quite a lot about. Is this "Champgne" Lab a new name for the yellow as it certainly looked like one or something else?

#6 ·
Before this gets carried away I have no intention of buying a dog,.
If I was it would either be Black, Yellow or Chocolate.
I was looking around for a friend and came upon a term I had never heard of and I was curious. That's all.

Blackasmollases, consider him petted. Afterall, he's my buddy I think about the yellow that left us a few years ago dailly.

#7 ·
Hey Sarahsdad,

Champagne is just a pretty way of saying yellow with a little of the "fox red," medium yellow coloring on their back and ears. It is not a new color, just a new way to advertise. :) As for the silver and charcoal dogs, just diluted colors (read: genetic defects).

Hope this helps!

#8 ·
That's not correct. "Champagne" is the pretty name for dilute yellow. Yes, it looks basically like a chocolate pigmented yellow, but they carry two dilute alleles (just like "silver" and "Charcoal"). They have weim in the background just like the others.

Tell your friend to run from anyone who breeds FOR colors not allowed in the standard.

#9 ·
exactly, and maybe feel him to kick the breeder in the teeth before he does

#10 ·
Obviosly this is a breeder for profit not for improving the breed. Its another marketing angle as 'silver' is. One better I'd like to watch that breeder pick up his teeth with two broken arms after Badbullgator is done with him.

#12 · (Edited)
I prefer the Polished Murky colored Labs over Champagne or Silver. (i.e. shiny black)
And to add all the designer - doodle dogs and just plain mixes being hyped as rare and special... I had to listen to a lady at the dr. office's this week going on and on about how rare her golden-doodle puppy is.... yuck

#14 ·
What's a "goodle-doodle"?

#15 ·
I want a polar bear lab....

Google it. :shock:

#21 · (Edited)
Wow! That's pretty bad-polar bear "snow white labs"...except you can CLEARLY see yellow on the ears and face....I've never seen pictures of a yellow polar bear unless it rolled in yellow snow ;) :rolleyes:

#16 ·
As long as it has health certs and can hunt, who cares what color it is?

Last I checked, about every Lab breeder breeds "For" color, if not they would not even advertise the color of their Labs, as it would not matter, nor would anyone even care if color were not an important factor to them. Also, you rarely see anyone talk about their Lab without mentioning the coat color up front. BLM, YLF, CLF, etc.. Take a look at the classifieds here on RTF as an example, you'll see that as recommended by the moderators here, they are first advertised by their color, and then their other more notable qualities after.
The key is, whether color was the sole deciding factor in a breeding, or just the circumstantial result of combining the best possible parents. Most don't like to admit it, but color is one of the first things considered by many breeders...because color is one of the first thing considered by most puppy buyers. There are exceptions, and RTF would likely be the greatest exception since so many here are concerned with performance. That noted, as pointed out, the value of color is still highly prominent even here.

#17 ·
Youre right- some degree- buyers buy for color so breeders offer what people want. No matter what is being produced, if the breeder puts color ahead of health, there is much wrong with that. I've only seen one ad, ever, for a "Silver" lab that touted the health clearances and not just hips and eyes. There were hips,(elbows I think),eyes, EIC and CNM tests and I think a JH title too. It was kind of recenltly and soeone from Oregon I think...?... If you want to breed a Labrador then it should be bred right, with the health stuff in mind, even if its not a real labrador color.

#18 ·
Sounds like I would call champagne colored labs, corn stalk colored. Much more practical for their use if you ask me and a better selling point to people who I would want to be selling puppies to if I had them.

#20 ·
Don't forget those 'white' labs. It's not PC to omit them. ;-)

Seriously, we started breedidng for chocolate over 30 years ago when we were laughed at and told 'chocolates were no damn good and couldn't count to three'. We wanted to prove that with good breeding, standards and dedication they could do it all. Might have done more if we had been better trainers and handlers. We were thrilled that some of our pups went to the riight people who took them to great heights. Just look at those breeders who also think this way and where they are taking the chocolates today. Keep up the good work and don't compromise your principals. There will always be more good and great blacks because this is the dominate gene but more and more good chocolates and yellows are blazing a great trail too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.