The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Coins gdg

Default Rare Coins gdg

I was reading a story tonight on yahoo that linked over to the Huff Post about a MLB owner that just paid $1,000,000.00 for a rare 1943D bronze Lincoln Head penny.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?1348680992

Well, when I was a youngster, my father game me an empty coin book(penny) and suggested I fill it up. This was around 1961, which I began doing. I started going through everyones change until I filled it up. I collected a bunch of steel pennies that were minted during WW2, so I knew I had pennies from that era.
    My collection is from 1919 to 1961.

So, I said to myself, "What the heck, let me check my pennies". To my surprise, while looking through the steel pennies, I came across one that is more bronze in color, with wear. Not in mint condition but it is a 1943D!!!

Anyway, I'll be calling the the lady in the article tomorrow. Her contact info is in the article. Could be nothing but maybe not
    Last edited by Franco; 09-26-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

Banned

Looks like you might have a windfall there. Be sure to get cash so it don't get taxed. HA HA HA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I was reading a story tonight on yahoo that linked over to the Huff Post about a MLB owner that just paid $1,000,000.00 for a rare 1943D bronze Lincoln Head penny.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...tml?1348680992

Well, when I was a youngster, my father game me an empty coin book(penny) and suggested I fill it up. This was around 1961, which I began doing. I started going through everyones change until I filled it up. I collected a bunch of steel pennies that were minted during WW2, so I knew I had pennies from that era.
    My collection is from 1919 to 1961.

So, I said to myself, "What the heck, let me check my pennies". To my surprise, while looking through the steel pennies, I came across one that is more bronze in color, with wear. Not in mint condition but it is a 1943D!!!

Anyway, I'll be calling the the lady in the article tomorrow. Her contact info is in the article. Could be nothing but maybe not
    I hope you hit it lucky.
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

Me too! I might run out and buy some spinners for my truck wheels. I probably started collecting around 1956-57 and stopped in 1961. I'll have to call several collectors to find out what the protocol is. I just don't want to mail my penny to some unknown person.
    The Libertarian Party believes that all persons are entitled to keep the fruits of their labor. A call for the repeal of the income tax, abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We support the passage of a "Balanced Budget Amendment" to the U.S. Constitution, provided that the budget is balanced exclusively by cutting expenditures, and not by raising taxes. LP.org

franco,
    take that dang penny to the "cajun pawn stars". you will find out what it's worth, make a cool million and be on tv(like all the other la personalities)! you might even get to do a "cajun dog stars" spinoff on discovery channel!!!!!
    john mccallie

Here are the recent values published for coin collectors on 1934 penny.
    Good - G, Fine - F, Extremely Fine XF, Uncirculated. 1934, $2.50, $2.50, $2.59, $17.98. 1934 D, $2.50, $2.50, $9.26, $27.
    But everything is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
    Last edited by JimmyD; 09-27-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: more info

What makes the 1943D bronze so valuable is that during the war, the US was minting pennies out of steel except for a few that were accidently made of bronze/copper alloy.

First thing this morning I am going to a jeweler that I know and have her identify the metal of my penny.

False excitment, penny is made of steel though it doesn't have the same coloring as my other steel pennies of that era.

Damn, just damn.......sorry buddy I was needing a loan.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

I wish I had kept all 1964 and earlier quarters for their silver content back then.

Dallas Gold and Silver opened a new store close to me in Allen, TX. Went down there the other day to price some silver. I love going into a store that has shiny, gold and silver coins on display!