The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: American Muslims Propose Limits on Free Speech

Default American Muslims Propose Limits on Free Speech

By Todd Starnes
    Islamic leaders in Missouri and New Jersey are calling for lawmakers to limit free speech after an anti-Muslim film sparked outrage across the world.

The Islamic Society of Greater Kansas City has launched a petition calling on Congress to “establish a law against insulting one’s religion.”

“We understand the First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights and, as such, prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, etc., but when the allowance of “free” speech incites violence it should be banned,” read a statement from the Islamic Society.

While condemning the violence that was originally blamed on the film, the Muslim group said ti would “be in everyone’s interest to ban such actions from reoccurring.”

“We condemn the violence and feel that, in spite of the First Amendment of the U. S. Constitution, action may be necessary to pass such a bill or, at least, censure such actions in order to calm the current situation as well as prevent future re-occurrences,” the statement read.

The Islamic Society in Kansas City is not alone in their calls for limiting free speech.
    “We, as Americans, have to put limits and borders [on[ freedom of speech,” Imam Mohammad Qatanani told The Blaze.

He leads the Islamic Center of Passaic County, one of the largest mosques in New Jersey.
    Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Council on American Islamic Relations, told Fox News that he doesn’t believe the calls for speech restrictions will go anywhere.

“I think it’s just an expression of frustration at the insults directed at the Prophet Mohammed,” he said. “It’s really a non-starter. The First Amendment protects freedom of expression – - even hate speech.”
    Hooper said mainstream Americans should be promoting mutual understanding.

“The real answer is to promote more speech – but speech directed at promoting mutual understanding and not interfaith hostility,” he said.

And Hooper said in this day and age it’s nearly impossible to limit speech.

“Even if one wanted to put limitations on any type of speech – in the Internet era – it’s just impossible,” he said. ‘no matter what anyone would try and censor there would always be a way around it.”
    Paul Kengor, a professor of political science at Grove City College, told Fox News he is not surprised at the calls to limit free speech.

“This is America,” Kengor said. “You have the right to be critical and even insulting of other religious beliefs – so long as you do it in a peaceful and nonviolent way. That’s what makes us different from the Muslim world – where you generally don’t have those same rights.”

Kengor said he is interested to see how liberal groups like the American Civil Liberties Union responds to the petition.

“Are they going to stay true to their convictions of freedom of expression or are they going to hold a double standard here and accommodate Muslims?”

The ACLU did not return calls seeking comment.
    I really don't think they understand this whole thing about free speech.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

I believe they understand... it's just part of the game they play. It's called intimidation. The weak minded, guilt ridden pantywaist's will fall for it. Anyone with a brain will not.
    Bill Davis

Some of us already have de facto limitations , the pressure brought to bear on a certain segment for the curtailment of the use of "N" word, while for others it is OK to use with impunity, is a good example.............

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 09-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

the muslim world is in dire need of a good old fashioned desensitizing.(is that a word?) if millions of americans were willing and had the time available they should give enough insults to the prophet and desecrations to the koran that there would be no possible way they could protest it all. imagine the muslim world watching six months of al jeezera(sp) tv showing all the constant disrespect that could be dealt out to one's religious beliefs. they would likely hate america the same, but tire of active protest. they might even come to realize that this free speech thing isn't so bad.

i am seeking feedback and if this has been discussed before let me know. i submit to this forum's political thought leaders the concept that the problem is the u.s. as a nation simply has not disrespected these people and their religion enough! if it happens everyday it eventually becomes no big deal, right?
    john mccallie

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Some of us already have de facto limitations , the pressure brought to bare on a certain segment for the curtailment of the use of "N" word, while for others it is OK to use with impunity, is a good example.............

john

You are absolutely correct. With more and more examples every day. In the Seattle area public buildings will not display Christmas trees or even call anything Chritmas this or that... it has to be a "winter holiday" or some such crap...

Wouldn't want to offend the one atheist or muslim that might come along...
    Bill Davis

It is the beginning of a slippery slope that can lead to all kinds of changes. The goal is not to censor speech, it is to institute sharia law in the US.

There is a model for making this happen. It takes patience but, over time it can happen. Look at the change in the definition of marriage. Look at where sex education in the public schools has gotten us. It went from something that sounded pretty good to passing out condems to elemetary school children. And now, the day after pill to minors, without parental consent or knowledge. If you had suggested thse things would happen in the 1960's you would have been called crazy!

Tom
    Tom Wall