The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimming nails

Default Trimming nails

For some reason my 2 yr old will not let me trim his nails, it started when he was a pup. I do not remember what happened but he has always disliked the nail clippers.

Looking for suggestions, I have purchased two sets of clippers, tried using treats. Also tried the dremel tool with round sand disk. Everytime I get close he pulls away

thanks for any help

Throw the clippers away. Teach the dog down and if you have to lie on him. Then begin with one paw a day with the dremel. It will take 4 days but then the next time do two paws. It will get easier the more you do it.

Good luck
    Rustic Terriers, Parson Russell & Australian Terriers
    Fox Fire's Abracadabra
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Benayr Scottish Blend- aka- Brody
    Benayr Rustic Charm - aka- Taylor

Dremels work great for trimming dogs nails. I agree with Cindy

Many people suggest the dremels, are you using the drum style sander bit? I have a pet paw trimmer ( what ever they call it) with the drum style sander but it will stall out pretty easy. I know they say to make sure you don't overheat the nail so is a dremel faster so it won't heat up the nail? Thanks.

Even on the low setting you can overheat the nail with a dremel. The one I have has a high and a low. I have found that if you are doing the nails on a weekly basis you don't have to spend too much time on each nail and the nail won't overheat. The one I have had for over 4 years is a cordless model.

I have found you can take more off the nail with grinding then with cutting. Some like to cut and then grind but the dogs don't like the pressure of the nail clipper. I have noticed it with puppies. When they are 10 days old and you start trimming nails they don't seem to mine. However, as they get older they don't like the pressure of a nail clipper. I grind nails on puppy at 8 weeks of age.
    Rustic Terriers, Parson Russell & Australian Terriers
    Fox Fire's Abracadabra
    Ch. Fox Fire Leather "N" Lace
    Benayr Scottish Blend- aka- Brody
    Benayr Rustic Charm - aka- Taylor

New Mexico-- the back water of the retrieving world

It helps to have a helper. They can help hold the dog down AND give treats. I cut up hotdogs ---sometimes I microwave then dry. But I always then put them in the dremel case. The dogs can smell them & of course they want some. It's just one more thing to help them get use to the dremel & not be afraid when they see the case come out.
    I started using a dreml when one of my pups was young but the other two dogs were 6 & 7 years old. It took a week or more but it happened. And as Cindy says. If you do it every week it only takes a minute
    Nothing will change unless I try. If I try and nothing changes -- at least I try!

You may just be asking for the final product when you need to start at the beginning with the treats. Maybe start with the first goal being for the dog to simply not pull the foot away when you touch it, with the trimmers sitting nearby or out if sight if that is too much. Spend many days just treating for him staying still, every foot touch = treat. Then repeat touch = treat with trimmer in opposite hand for many days. Move to touch of trimmers on foot = treat.... Actually holding foot = treat. Then pretend clipping of a nail = treat. Until you finally can clip a nail. Praise and treat after every nail.

Dozer,
    I watched this subject on Cesar Millan The Dog Whisperer TV show. The dog would not let the owner come near with the nail clipper or scissors to trim it's face.

This became a training exercise in getting the dog to calm down and relax in the lying down on it's side position. He stroked or gently massaged the dog and when calm used the clipper in his hand to stroke the dog and then the scisors. This took some time but the dog learned to be calm and that the clipper would not hurt them.

I would do this technique with out trimming or grinding the nails. Then do it again the next day and when the dog is calm turn on the nail grinder on low speed then quit. Next time when calm grind only one or two nails. The dog must remain calm.
    Continue this until all the nails are done.

This is a training exercise so praise only when the dog has done a great job remaining calm during the process. Give it a much deserved chew toy at the end of each time you trim the nails. Hope this works well for you as it has me.

Depending on the dog this may take some time to teach but it does work. I have used this technique for years teaching many dogs and their owners how to properly clip or grind the nails.

One very important thing to remember is NEVER try to calm the dog by petting it and using sweet talk, comforting words like you would a human. This is only praising the dog while it is fearful or nervious. Best to say nothing while stroking the dog.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

I'd love to see some video of you guys holding your dogs down to trim their nails.
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

I have the dremel with round sand disk but have never gotten close enough to him. He pulls away and we end up in a wrestling match. I am not sure I can get him calm enough every time I reach for the paw he pulls back. If I have clippers or dremel in my hand he know what is coming. The vet even recently tried to trim his and gave up.

thanks for all the replies, based on what I have read I need to be more consistent with him and do this everday