The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trimming nails

Here are a couple of things that have helped me with this. First, have a leash on your dog. Either have a helper hold the leash or tie the dog to something... make it something fairly high, which limits pulling. Have some really high value treats. Start off with your dog restrained by the leash, turn on the dremel for 30 seconds or so, then give a treat. Increase to longer intervals, being generous with the treats. See if you can pet your dog while the dremel is on, more treats. My dogs still tend to pull their feet away sometimes when their feet are extended in front of them. I pick up the paw and bend the foot towards the back (have you ever seen how horses' feet are picked up? Like that.) You can use the dremel in that position easily enough, just be careful if you have a long-haired dog not to let the tip get tangled in their hair. They still aren't crazy about the procedure, but they think the treats are worth it. The more often I do it, the quicker it is and the less they seem to mind it.
    Pam
    Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I avoid it like the plague. Hate it! Groomer charges 10 bucks! Best deal I have ever seen. Unfortunately, my ol guy cant make it to the groomer---he, sadly, looks like Freddy Kreuger. Been putting it off for weeks. Did I say I hate it? He hates it. No fun.
    John Stroh, Lodi ca

There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace…........If one has cut, split, hauled, and piled his own good oak, and let his mind work the while, he will remember much about where the heat comes from, and with a wealth of detail denied to those who spend the weekend in town astride a radiator.

Aldo Leopold

thanks Pam, I have never tried to bend his foot backwards like horse when doing shoes. I think I need to go back to square one and go with treats and slow trys with dremel tool. This is my first dog that has ever done this.

thanks everyone for replies

day one - I used cheese and ran the dremel tool, he got excited as normal about the cheese and started pulling back. I could pet him with dreme tool on his back. Later in morning used hot dog, I could pet his back and started to pet one leg and that was it.

this might take longer than 4 days

Junior Member redhuntingpoodles's Avatar

Go to Walmart in the tool section and by the Cordless Dremel 7700. Just do a little bit each day and soon he will be a PRO!!
    Louter Creek Retrievers & Gundogs
    Home of the Duck Dynasty Poodle

UH HRCH UGA MHR Southern Standards Red Creole MH "Cooper"
    UH HRCH Websters Red High Heels SH "Layla"
    SHR Redlines Radiant Red Reba JH "Reba Mcentire"
    UG SHR Louter Creek's She's My Little Whiskey Girl JH "Whiskey"

I have the electric dremel, Day two, I could pet his leg with the dremel tool while he was staring at the hot dog piece. he started to make his weird I hate this noise but did better

Most of our older dogs I can do without a collar or anything on them now. All except Josie were older when I started. Tess is the only one that's still terrible about it, she just doesn't like for you to hold her feet period, but will put them on you to "touch" you in a heartbeat. Patience will get you there.
    High Tess JH
    Cedar Swamp's Linden JH
    Cedar Swamp's Cuttin a Rug
    Cedar Swamp's Holy Terror JH (3 SH passes)
    Blackfoot's Mr Independence at Cedar Swamp JH
    Cedar Swamp's Angel in Disguise
    Cedar Swamp's Test Pilot
    Cedar Swamp's Bonanza
    Cedar Swamp's Twisted Sister

Others have also graced our hearts...gone not forgotten.
    RC Buckshot of Seven Hickories MH
    Ceader Swamp's Deuces Wild SH
    Fallen Timber's Second Chance MH
    Ceader Swamp's Mac Millett SH
    and several others...

day three - still petting leg with dremel on, I tried to touch one of his nails and he went nuts. lost my patience and left the scene. Tried again later and turned off the dremel and tried to touch his nail, he did not react so I touched each one and gave him a treat

I am not sure we are going to make this, this is testing every ounce I have.

A few tips from someone who has owned three standard poodles. Poodles require a LOT of grooming, including clipping the hair between the toes and pads. Toenails are nothing compared to ticklish toes.

It will help tremendously if you can get the dog on a table. A grooming table is great, but most lab owners don't have one. A SOLID, non-wobbly workbench or picnic table will work. Let me emphasize that the table cannot be wobbly or flimsy. Use a bathmat on the table to make a non-skid surface. Even a low agility table, if you have a friend with one, is better than the floor. Dogs are more manageable on a table and it's easier on your back. First, you'll have to get the dog used to the table. I have my dogs step on a chair to get on the grooming table because they are too heavy for me to lift. Lots of treats and patience helps in teaching the dog to get on the table. Always, always, always keep one hand on the dog to keep him from jumping off the table and hurting himself. If possible, set up the table on a soft grassy lawn or a padded carpet at first so he will be less likely to get injured if you can't control him and he jumps off.

Next, you need to have the dog lay on his side on the table. If the dog is afraid of heights and too tense to lay on his side, it might take few sessions to get him to relax.

With the dog on his side, you position yourself on the side of the table opposite the feet. That way, you can lean across the dog and keep him from getting up. If you are right-handed, you'll want the dog's head end to your left and tail end to your right, so your right hand holding the dremel is oriented with the underside of the nail. Hold the paw so you have a firm grip on the base of the toenail. That will reduce the vibration the dog feels and keep him from jerking away.

Critical point: Novice dog groomers have a tendency to make soothing noises while the dog is struggling, which sounds to the dog like praise. When the dog stops struggling, the novice will then often say in a stern voice "There. BE STILL." Which sounds like scolding. When the dog struggles, either say nothing or calmly say. "Stop that." The instant he calms down, say in a guiet, happy voice: "Good boy, that's it."

The first couple of times, give him a treat after each toenail, or just do a couple and quit. Give his reward treats while you tell him what a brave boy he was for surviving the toenail clipping.

I have two older dogs (12 and 14 years) that were both rescues at an older age (7 and 8 years). I don't put those dogs on a table because I don't want to risk them getting hurt. I do their toenails on the floor, but started with the same technique of leaning across their bodies. It's a knee and back-killer. Teach your dogs to get on a table and lay down while they are young. As the dog gets more used to the dremel, you won't have to hold them down.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

day 4 - i can turn the dremel tool by hand and slowly try to sand on his nail. When I turn it on he starts his weird noise and starts to freek out.

thanks for the tip with table but I do not have anything stable for him, I am making him go in down postion, I am laying down putting treat out. So I am facing him on his right side. I could try to lay him down and reach over but have not tried that. I am making some progress but once I turn it on it is over for him