The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog first aid kit

Default Dog first aid kit

Just currious what everyone packs in their first aid kits for dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by PMG 131 View Post
    Just currious what everyone packs in their first aid kits for dogs?
    I just bought one ready-made for $70. It has a staple gun with 35 sterile staples. I hear that is a must-have. Assortment of other stuff and comes in a nice satchel. I got it at Sportsmen's.

There's been a thread or two on here about that. As I recall, someone posted some long lists of things they carried. Mine is a mixture of come ready made kits and duplicates of things I carry in my bag for people. I think it depends on how far from help you'll be as to how extensive you want to get. Main things I've used are eye wash, vet wrap,gauze, waterproof adhesive tape, stapler (several times!), dog boots, antibiotic ointment and some meds from the vet.

I was thinking of things out side real basic stuff. (I.E. Vet wrap, tape, guaze, saline, eye wash.) Never thought about stapler or boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad B View Post
    There's been a thread or two on here about that. As I recall, someone posted some long lists of things they carried. Mine is a mixture of come ready made kits and duplicates of things I carry in my bag for people. I think it depends on how far from help you'll be as to how extensive you want to get. Main things I've used are eye wash, vet wrap,gauze, waterproof adhesive tape, stapler (several times!), dog boots, antibiotic ointment and some meds from the vet.
    Add to that benadryl, Aspirin, peroxide and a diet coke, and you got all the things we've had to run to find when events have happened. Although I'm old school prefer sutures (needle & thread), probably because I've never gotten a stapler to work correctly.

And this book, I've used it more time than I care to admit

Field Guide: Dog First Aid Emergency Care for the Hunting, Working, and Outdoor Dog
    http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Em.../dp/1885106041
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-28-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

look up the thread and the list done by Dr Aycock...he is a bird hunter and a veterinarian...its as good a checklist as you can buy
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Add to that benadryl, Aspirin, peroxide and a diet coke, and you got all the things we've had to run to find when events have happened. Although I'm old school prefer sutures (needle & thread), probably because I've never gotten a stapler to work correctly.
    What is the diet Coke for ?
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HR Tonka's Rebel Yell JH

Jack Daniels to calm your nerves!!
    LUCK - WHEN PREPARATION MEETS REALITY!
    NAFC FC Cody Cut A Lean Grade "Grady" NAFC Paddle Creek's Pack Your Grip "Traveler"
    www.paddlecreekretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by hightech1953 View Post
    What is the diet Coke for ?
    Fox-tails up the nose, you shake the coke, pour it down the nose and it cause them to sneeze horribly, usually dislodging the seed. Any carbonated beverage works, but diet coke has always seemed to be the best, can't tell you how many times we've have panicked individuals hunting down diet coke.

Goes well with the Jack Daniels too
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 09-28-2012 at 12:33 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'EmUp View Post
    Fox-tails up the nose, you shake the coke, pour it down the nose and it cause them to sneeze horribly, usually dislodging the seed. Any carbonated beverage works, but diet coke has always seemed to be the best, can't tell you how many times we've have panicked individuals hunting down diet coke.

Goes well with the Jack Daniels too
    Thanks for the answer !
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HR Tonka's Rebel Yell JH