The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Security

Default Social Security

Unless Congress acts, the trust funds that support Social Security will run out of money in 2033, according to the trustees who oversee the retirement and disability program. At that point, Social Security would collect only enough tax revenue each year to pay about 75 percent of benefits. That benefit cut wouldn't sit well with the millions of older Americans who rely on Social Security for most of their income.
    ___
    Where they stand:
    President Barack Obama hasn't laid out a detailed plan for addressing Social Security. He's called for bipartisan talks on strengthening the program but he didn't embrace the plan produced by a bipartisan deficit reduction panel he created in 2010.
    Republican challenger Mitt Romney proposes a gradual increase in the retirement age to account for growing life expectancy. For future generations, Romney would slow the growth of benefits "for those with higher incomes."
    ___
    Why it matters:
    For millions of retired and disabled workers, Social Security is pretty much all they have to live on, even though monthly benefits are barely enough to keep them out of poverty. Monthly payments average $1,237 for retired workers and $1,111 for disabled workers. Most older Americans rely on Social Security for a majority of their income; many rely on it for 90 percent or more, according to the Social Security Administration.
    Social Security is already the largest federal program and it's getting bigger as millions of baby boomers reach retirement. More than 56 million retirees, disabled workers, spouses and children get Social Security benefits. That number that will grow to 91 million by 2035, according to congressional estimates.
    Social Security could handle the growing number of beneficiaries if there were more workers paying payroll taxes. But most baby boomers didn't have as many children as their parents did, leaving relatively fewer workers to pay into the system.
    In 1960, there were 4.9 workers for each person getting benefits. Today, there are about 2.8 workers for each beneficiary, and that ratio will drop to 1.9 workers by 2035.
    Last edited by gmhr1; 09-30-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

You paid into it you draw out of it, you didn't pay into it you don't draw out of it. This is not an entitlement. Stop paying anyone who didn't pay into it. They currently do. A good example is a 13 year old female, granddaughter of family friend, just got SS disability for life do to her mental instability.

Put all who did not pay into SS on another federal entitlement program and figure out how to support that program. But quit using SS as an entitlement for those that did not pay into it.

My opinion

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post
    You paid into it you draw out of it, you didn't pay into it you don't draw out of it. This is not an entitlement. Stop paying anyone who didn't pay into it. They currently do. A good example is a 13 year old female, granddaughter of family friend, just got SS disability for life do to her mental instability.

Put all who did not pay into SS on another federal entitlement program and figure out how to support that program. But quit using SS as an entitlement for those that did not pay into it.

My opinion

Richard
    It is not Social Security but Supplementary Security Income (SSI). The program is creation of the Nixon era. It is administered by the Social Security Administration and its funds are separate from the Social Security Trust Funds.
    Last edited by zeus3925; 10-01-2012 at 09:01 AM.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Down East Labs 217 View Post

My opinion

Richard
    I agree with this 100%
    "Blastem Daddy!" My Son's advice to me as a big ole Tom turkey came strutting within range. My son was 6 at the time.

Weller's Tell It To The Judge MH (Justice)
    Weller's Running With The Wind MH (Chase)
    JD's In It Again MH (Trouble) 5/1/2009 - 1/3/2012

Explain this to me...

A neighbor of ours divorced her first husband years ago. She remarried but he did not. He died still single. Last year she divorced her #2 husband (married over 20 years and they are still living together). She figured out she could get $400 more per month in Social Security based upon her first husband so she divorced husband #2 and reapplied based on her first husband. She is now getting the increased social security.

Obama phones? Her 90 year old mother living on Social Security got a free Obama phone with unlimited minutes. She gave it to her daughter to use. Working the system, working the system... it irks me to hear her brag about it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by helencalif View Post
    Explain this to me...

A neighbor of ours divorced her first husband years ago. She remarried but he did not. He died still single. Last year she divorced her #2 husband (married over 20 years and they are still living together). She figured out she could get $400 more per month in Social Security based upon her first husband so she divorced husband #2 and reapplied based on her first husband. She is now getting the increased social security.

Obama phones? Her 90 year old mother living on Social Security got a free Obama phone with unlimited minutes. She gave it to her daughter to use. Working the system, working the system... it irks me to hear her brag about it.

turn her and her mother in for fraud. Pretty simple really. When people start turning people in for this kind of stuff, and people get in big trouble for it, it will slow it way down. Probably never stop it completely, but it will slow people down trying to get away with this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    turn her and her mother in for fraud. Pretty simple really. When people start turning people in for this kind of stuff, and people get in big trouble for it, it will slow it way down. Probably never stop it completely, but it will slow people down trying to get away with this crap.
    Spot on Murral: These pages are rife with they know someone who knows someone who is gaming the system. Turn the low living thieving rectums in. Don't waste your time bitching about it here.
    Zeus

I don't want to feed an ugly dog!

Easy to say "turn them in"... It's a different world these days though. Any of you read the thread about Pat McHale on the main board? People are crazy, and if some nut knows it was you that turned them in... Who knows? The obamaphone program is a joke to start with and should not even exist, like many gov't programs. It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors.
    Bill Davis

Banned

I think there are anonymous tip lines you can call. Do you look the other way if someone is violating hunting laws, or do you turn them in using the "TIPS" line? "It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors." Bill Davis Are you condoning the govt meddling into private lives? The program is indeed a joke. When you see abuse of the system and don't report it, you are just as guilty as the people commiting the abuse. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by murral stark View Post
    I think there are anonymous tip lines you can call. Do you look the other way if someone is violating hunting laws, or do you turn them in using the "TIPS" line? "It is incumbent on the gov't to control the fraud, waste & abuse. Not the neighbors." Bill Davis Are you condoning the govt meddling into private lives? The program is indeed a joke. When you see abuse of the system and don't report it, you are just as guilty as the people commiting the abuse. Just my opinion.
    No I would not look the other way on hunting violators... But they most likely would not be my next door neighbors who knew that I knew they were the crooks. If I felt I could do it anonymously I would, otherwise... No.

As for the gov't meddling in our lives, that is a lib specialty. I hate it. But in a case where they set up a program using OUR money, the gov't owes it to us to makes sure the program is not rife with fraud like so many of the gov't programs are.

Obama and his gang is already doing a good enough job of turning Americans against other Americans.
    Bill Davis