The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting into water tune up

Default Casting into water tune up

This is my attempt at a casting tune up drill featured in the latest issue of Retrievers ONLINE. The blinds are run in order from bottom to top. The shoreline is scented where the dog is cast into the water. Primarily attrition, but some light nicks for continued refusals on the 2nd to 5th blinds. The dogs really get it after the 1st couple are run. Will repeat this soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So you cast the dog from points you chose ? which is to get your dog to do overs off a point. He then is cast into the water to the blind on shore. I was trying to set this up and had some difficulty which is nothing unusual. Dennis's looked like he cast into the wind. Just a question would you use an over in a FT? We certainly did in HRC!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83047
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=83051

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Lynn Metras View Post
    So you cast the dog from points you chose ? which is to get your dog to do overs off a point. He then is cast into the water to the blind on shore. I was trying to set this up and had some difficulty which is nothing unusual. Dennis's looked like he cast into the wind. Just a question would you use an over in a FT? We certainly did in HRC!
    Ran the third series water blind in the Open and Am a couple weeks ago (our first AA 3rd series). Every handler I saw successfully run the water blinds in both the Open and Am (I didn't see them all run) gave overs to get off key points. Not that all the dogs took overs, most took some variation of an angle back.

In training on this drill, I gave the litteral cast. one is kind of angle in, one over, and the others some degree of angle back.

edit: Now if your dog was in a position to actaully need to take an over in a trial, the judges book may already be closed.

I run this drill now and then and find it useful. I used a big over off a point in a trial a couple of weeks ago. You needed it to make sure you had another opportunity to handle if the dog started to suck around the point out of sight. There was a BB sitting back there that dry popped when the dog sat on the mat.

This is something Frank Price taught me a few months ago. You don't want to run blinds like this all the time, but about 50% of mine are like this. Put them way way up on a point, the further up the better and use a literal cast to get them off with a direction change back into the water. Once I started doing this it made getting on and off points a breeze in a test.
    Gavin B.

That's what I'm looking to get out of this Gavin. Got caught up on a scented shoreline a couple weeks ago in what was an otherwise good AA water blind.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    So as a tune-up drill, Dennis meant for this to be ran several days in a row?
    Repetition certainly helps to get the point across.

This is the most effective drill that I have used to clearly teach the "get in the water" cast. I remember a few times where the prior use of this drill provided me with great confidence while under judgement and many other times where I wished it was used more frequently prior to a Trial.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    This is my attempt at a casting tune up drill featured in the latest issue of Retrievers ONLINE. The blinds are run in order from bottom to top. The shoreline is scented where the dog is cast into the water. Primarily attrition, but some light nicks for continued refusals on the 2nd to 5th blinds. The dogs really get it after the 1st couple are run. Will repeat this soon.
    Looks like you did an excellent job at designing this tune up as I intended. Don't wait too long for day 2 and 3
    Dennis

What issue is this drill from?
    TRAVIS SKEEN