The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: how to lock on to a cold blind??

Thanks to all for the great advice, we are through ob, ff, singles, single t, and working on doubles. I realize she is still young and wont be anywhere near perfect at this age. I guess she just does not realize that dead bird means look straight. And i guess i was trying to give her a perfect line with my hand.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by dtmanring View Post
    Thanks to all for the great advice, we are through ob, ff, singles, single t, and working on doubles. I realize she is still young and wont be anywhere near perfect at this age. I guess she just does not realize that dead bird means look straight. And i guess i was trying to give her a perfect line with my hand.
    What program are you following that has you running cold blinds before finishing basics?

Only "program" I know of that even comes close is Hillman. He does walk-out blinds with very young dogs, but obviously that is NOT a cold blind... Those are merely taught blinds though.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim West View Post
    Is the dog buggin or just not clear that dead bird means "look straight ahead". I have had the same issue with my young dog and the last couple of times I went to field and put out six birds in a field, with quite a distance between them. Line the dog up and send it. It will be going to a blind, because you've got a ton of em out there. The dog will pick up speed as they progress. Give lot's of praise! The blinds I run are short, only thirty to fifty yards.

Then I like to go to a big, big field and do the same thing, but with only three. Running longer distances really gets them going, and their casts become more literal.

If you can plant some banty roosters or pidgeons at the end, that will help too.

But, in general your dog just needs reps. These are a few ways to get them.

Tim, I'm glad to see you post this. I was just thinking about where you were with Archie when I met you down at Joseph's place and wondering what you were doing these days dog-wise.

It makes me happy to see you've got a pup and are going through the cycle again.

Good luck!

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
    What program are you following that has you running cold blinds before finishing basics?
    I have the program water dog. And i realize its basics arent to the extent most programs are.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

AH MAN! Take the leap and spend a few $$$!!!
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    AH MAN! Take the leap and spend a few $$$!!!
    Just looked at it, and i think i am.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

On occasion I will put my Tritronics release behind a blind and hit sound to get a good focus. Some use the queue "good" when the dog looks in the correct direction.
    GRHRCH Grant's BLK TIE Marshbutler "Jeeves" MH

Let's back up a step.

I'm working pattern blinds with diversions (Lardy program). Once the bird is down I cannot keep him focused on the blind. I have been sending him and then handling him off, but it doesn't seem to be registering that he needs to go straight to the blind without the detour toward the bird. I understand that you initially don't need to fuss with the dog about the line, but when do you start insisting on a good initial line to the blind?

Without the diversion marks he is fine, but then that's the purpose of the diversion birds, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RookieTrainer View Post
    Let's back up a step.

I'm working pattern blinds with diversions (Lardy program). Once the bird is down I cannot keep him focused on the blind. I have been sending him and then handling him off, but it doesn't seem to be registering that he needs to go straight to the blind without the detour toward the bird. I understand that you initially don't need to fuss with the dog about the line, but when do you start insisting on a good initial line to the blind?

Without the diversion marks he is fine, but then that's the purpose of the diversion birds, right?
    I think you've got it right. The purpose of the early transition blind drills and PBs with diversions is to get the dog casting, not to get perfect initial lines or lining past old falls and gunners. After some experience with cold blinds, and I have good momentum on some meaty cold blinds, I will gradually require a better and better initial line. Then, I will likely call back for a very poor initial line. I don't think you can put a timetable on it, but the more momentum a dog has on blinds, the more picky you can get. Expose the dog to no-no drills so that the dog understands the call back - try again routine before doing to much of this on cold blinds.